2020 Decluttering, Cleaning, Get Organised

• Please log in to reply
279 replies to this topic

#51 Hypnic Jerk

Posted 29 December 2019 - 02:52 PM

View Post~LemonMyrtle~, on 28 December 2019 - 05:08 PM, said:

(This person obviously wasn’t too worried about landfill, but anyway, it’s still a good philosophy, cause honestly, chances are good you will never need another one anyway)

this is my problem.  I do care, to the point that it limits what I get rid of.  I think it’s an anxiety thing.  I clearly remember my mother putting my (her old one) food processor straight in the bin after I’d broken it.  I had a newborn and I had to stop myself from retrieving it.  I still feel tense when thinking about it.

#52 YumChaTheSecond

Posted 29 December 2019 - 03:48 PM

Oof, today's effort was tough. Anyone need 18 kgs of university readers from 10 years ago? How about my honours thesis? A whole lot of spare pillow cases?

#53 purpleduck

Posted 29 December 2019 - 03:58 PM

Can the spare pillow cases go to a vet or wildlife rescue?

#54 RocktonResident

Posted 29 December 2019 - 04:17 PM

View PostJingleflea, on 28 December 2019 - 09:59 PM, said:

I had JUST decided to donate DD's play food and kitchen toys that she hasn't used in ages...and lo and behold, she gets them out and uses them today!

Darn kids!

Mine did that. I decided I could cull the Duplo, so was putting all the sets together to list on Gumtree. They never play with it, only Lego now, But nope, as soon as I started on it everyone had to play with it. Now I have Duplo and Lego scattered through the house.

Sigh.

Edited by RocktonResident, 29 December 2019 - 04:17 PM.

#55 YumChaTheSecond

Posted 29 December 2019 - 05:10 PM

View Postpurpleduck, on 29 December 2019 - 03:58 PM, said:

Can the spare pillow cases go to a vet or wildlife rescue?

Not the pillow cases, but I've made arrangements for a whole lot of towels and sheets to go to Lort Smith animal hospital.

#56 IkeaAddict

Posted 29 December 2019 - 06:04 PM

I'm in. I got a new kitchen and new flooring through the whole house in October and because of that I had a massive declutter and got rid of a HELL of a lot of stuff. Think 1x 10 cubic meter skip and 1x 6 cubic meter skip. Chockers. In early January I am getting an entire new wardrobe layout so still have a bit to go but nowhere near like the other major declutter. For me I am wanting to keep my house clutter free and not let it get to the state it was in before my renos

#57 Squeekums The Elf

Posted 29 December 2019 - 06:51 PM

View PostHypnic Jerk, on 29 December 2019 - 02:52 PM, said:

this is my problem.  I do care, to the point that it limits what I get rid of.  I think it’s an anxiety thing.  I clearly remember my mother putting my (her old one) food processor straight in the bin after I’d broken it.  I had a newborn and I had to stop myself from retrieving it.  I still feel tense when thinking about it.

I've come to realise I care more about having a house that I don't feel I'm drowning in the "just save for later" crap or "it could be fixed crap"
Our mental health is first.
Normally I keep boxes and packing, no longer
No longer keep paper, ribbons, jars, egg cartons, old clothes or towels for rags.
An appliance breaks, no more keeping for parts harvesting or fixing
Bin bin bin bin

#58 Squeekums The Elf

Posted 29 December 2019 - 06:53 PM

View PostYumChaTheSecond, on 29 December 2019 - 03:48 PM, said:

Oof, today's effort was tough. Anyone need 18 kgs of university readers from 10 years ago? How about my honours thesis? A whole lot of spare pillow cases?

Oh I'd totally bin the lot in a heartbeat now

#59 YumChaTheSecond

Posted 29 December 2019 - 07:58 PM

Most uni readers went, only the pillowcases that match current sets stayed. Honours thesis got relocated to a shelf in the study.

#60 blueskies12

Posted 29 December 2019 - 08:33 PM

I'm in! I think decluttering helps my mental health. I need to start in small areas and do with a 15 minute timer too, to build motivation otherwise I might never do it. I need to start on our pantry in the kitchen. I need to use up tins etc and throw out and clean it out! I am so over food wastage and the expense of it all. Then I will do my clothes. I have so many poorly fitting clothes...

#61 EsmeLennox

Posted 29 December 2019 - 08:36 PM

2/3 kids’ bedrooms complete.

#62 CallMeFeral

Posted 29 December 2019 - 08:46 PM

I made a list. Does that count?

#63 *~~Jess~~*

Posted 29 December 2019 - 08:46 PM

Didn’t get as much as I would of liked done but I drop 4 bags of stuff off to the charity bins rather than have them sit in the boot for the next 6 months.

#64 Sharalanda

Posted 29 December 2019 - 10:16 PM

I was so tired but I was getting sick of the Christmas tree and decorations cluttering up the lounge room so I pushed through and packed it all up. I even turfed out some decorations I didn’t really love anymore. Such a good feeling and really didn’t take long at all.
Might box up some toys to drop off to the Red Cross shop tomorrow while I’m on a roll and the kids are asleep.

#65 Sancti-claws

Posted 30 December 2019 - 06:32 AM

View PostCallMeFeral, on 29 December 2019 - 08:46 PM, said:

I made a list. Does that count?
Absolutely!!!!

First item should always be "make list" so something is ticked straight away, too.

Christmas is away and the living room looks wonderfully stark...

#66 MadMarchMasterchef

Posted 31 December 2019 - 07:21 AM

Got a couple of kitchen drawers sorted last night.

#67 MadMarchMasterchef

Posted 31 December 2019 - 07:28 AM

View PostHypnic Jerk, on 29 December 2019 - 02:52 PM, said:

Its also difficult if you have grown up without much money.  For most of my life I havent had a spare 30 dollars to just replace something so keeping things is ingrained pretty hard, even though Im now on a reasonable income.

I find it easier to get rid of things if I know somebody else is going to use them at least. Replacing also seems to work with me - new item in, old item out.

DD7 has grown out of some school things (hat, logo polos etc) but DS is only 7 months so he wont need them for 5 years.  Im going to see if I can donate it to the school. If it was 2 or 3 years Id keep it but 5 years is too long, right?  The logo might change or the clothes might go yucky in that time.

Edited by MincePieMasterchef, 31 December 2019 - 07:39 AM.

#68 WaitForMe

Posted 31 December 2019 - 08:11 AM

I'll join in although not for a few more days yet as we are away.

I have two major areas to tackle before I go back to work, and a third that would be nice.

The kids bedroom is the biggest job and will be the hardest as they will resist.

Then theres their craft area, which was great when I was a SAHM and had one kid but now theres two of them and I work 4 days a week its completely out of hand and completely unusable.

The third is the study, I think I'll run out of time on that one though.

#69 WaitForMe

Posted 31 December 2019 - 08:20 AM

View Postblueskies12, on 29 December 2019 - 08:33 PM, said:

I'm in! I think decluttering helps my mental health. I need to start in small areas and do with a 15 minute timer too, to build motivation otherwise I might never do it. I need to start on our pantry in the kitchen. I need to use up tins etc and throw out and clean it out! I am so over food wastage and the expense of it all. Then I will do my clothes. I have so many poorly fitting clothes...

Oh the kitchen pantry... didn't think of that one but yes I really need to do mine too...

#70 Sharalanda

Posted 31 December 2019 - 09:48 AM

Loaded the boot of the car with a big box of toys and some excess lego. Also filled up a big blue ikea bag with kids clothes. I’ll be dropping them off for donation today.

Also chucked out the crappy bits of ikea plastic kids plates, cups etc.

Going to sort through my paperwork pile today.

Starting to feel so much better. Clutter really doesn’t help my anxiety.

#71 raspberry sherbert

Posted 31 December 2019 - 11:17 AM

Hard rubbish collection is booked for next week, so now have a deadline to get some stuff gone. Another bag is waiting to go to the op shop. Christmas will be packed up completely today. Anxiety and clutter definitely work against each other.

#72 Kallie88

Posted 31 December 2019 - 11:21 AM

Made a list yesterday, if I get through that next year we'll be doing well

#73 Tall Poppy

Posted 31 December 2019 - 11:23 AM

I’m in! I’m working on our study at the moment. It’s a massive task. I’ve finished my degree so there’s stuff from that to go but also I want to give DH a nice room for him to work in. He works from home a lot and I think he needs a better set up.

I am sorting through so many books at the moment. I’m finding that a bit overwhelming but it needs to be done.

Edited by Tall Poppy, 31 December 2019 - 11:24 AM.

#74 little lion

Posted 31 December 2019 - 11:37 AM

I’ve been clearing out our too-big collection of paper, plastic and enviro bags. I like simple standalone tasks like this.

#75 Aughra

Posted 31 December 2019 - 11:39 AM

I sorted my linen yesterday and started on paper.  There is sooo much paper!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.