Immigrant parents realising their native country has moved on

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#51 Manicmum

Posted 28 December 2019 - 05:03 PM

My dad said to me when I was about 25 that he wished we lived in Holland because there are no drugs.

#52 Odd-1-Out

Posted 28 December 2019 - 05:30 PM

My MIL came immigrated from Greece when she got married and lived here for 20 years. She said it was the worst 20 years of her life. She couldnt seem to adapt here plus she was experiencing domestic violence. She was so happy to go back to Greece and funnily enough her daughter who was born here lives in Greece and fits in better there than here. I dont think it is due to conservative views, she also missed her family terribly.

ETA: Her daughter came back to Australia to live but only stayed a year as she just didnt like the way of life and also missed her relatives back home.

Edited by Odd-1-Out, 28 December 2019 - 05:32 PM.

#53 VigilantePaladin

Posted 28 December 2019 - 06:35 PM

View PostImperatorFuriosa, on 28 December 2019 - 12:18 PM, said:

No, it's not ok.
Would you say this to an African American if they called themselves a n%#&=@ ? I would never ad I'm white. Same as you I am presuming. So you can't but they can and you don't get to tell them otherwise.

#54 kimasa

Posted 28 December 2019 - 06:58 PM

View PostManicmum, on 28 December 2019 - 05:03 PM, said:

My dad said to me when I was about 25 that he wished we lived in Holland because there are no drugs.

This one wins the thread.

#55 Expelliarmus

Posted 28 December 2019 - 08:56 PM

When I lived in Melbourne it was acceptable to use the term wog - I was married to an Italian and there was no issue regarding it.

If I attempt to use it here in Adelaide I get told it’s inappropriate by Italians. Only some of them though. One of my colleagues just laughs and we use it together. Another is rather more strident in saying I can’t use it because I’m not Italian.

Seems to me it’s best to err on the side of caution and not use it unless you are supremely familiar with the context.

#56 seayork2002

Posted 28 December 2019 - 09:18 PM

Not something we use often and i don't remember using it  myself but yes wog is used within  my family

#57 Mrs Twit

Posted 28 December 2019 - 09:24 PM

View PostFreddie, on 27 December 2019 - 09:17 PM, said:

It's interesting because we have lived here for nearly 20 years and I do not feel Australian in the least.

Yet, when we go back to NZ it has changed so much, it doesn't feel like home anymore.  So I feel like I live in no man's land- caught between two similar yet very different countries.

Same here - lived here 21 years now. Although having Aussie kids makes me feel more Australian, and people no longer give me a hard time about my accent - I must have assimilated somewhat!

I do wonder though as my kids go through school and I see how much better the schools are here in some ways, but not as good in others, whether the difference is the country or the fact that I was at high school in the 80s and so much has changed on since then.

#58 Mollyksy

Posted 28 December 2019 - 10:03 PM

View Postannodam, on 28 December 2019 - 11:35 AM, said:

My OHs DNA has him as 90% Slavic & the other 10% Baltic (I think).  His relations were told by the Greeks they must change their name to a Greek one otherwise they'd be killed, so apart from a lengthy fake-ish Greek name which was forced upon my OHs relatives, there is no Greek in us anywhere.  

My dad also had to change his name to a more Greek sounding one and renounce any ties to his homeland to get a passport to come to Australia. It's an interesting conversation, Clueless Public Member: "oh, are you greek?" Molly: "well no, once upon a time there was a country that wasnt part of Greece than then was and there was a man from there who left as a refugee child and was raised in a nearby communist country and then wanted to come to Australia but wasnt allowed to get a passport until he renounced his non Greek but now Greek country and adopted a Greek name". CPP: "Um great, just making conversation"!!

#59 Chchgirl

Posted 28 December 2019 - 10:55 PM

View PostManicmum, on 28 December 2019 - 05:03 PM, said:

As a person who has beem to the Netherlands. ..😂😂😂

Although I love Amsterdam so much more than places like Paris 😊

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.