Has anyone ever thought that braces were a waste of money due to the upkeep required once removed?

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#1 anon039

Posted 29 December 2019 - 05:55 PM

One of my teens might end up needing braces. After talking to a few people whose teens now have had them removed, I’m not sure if they’d be worth it.
The reason for this is that the age group my teen would be, I don’t imagine he’d keep up with wearing their retainers.
This is a time when they might be dating etc and I imagine it would be forgotten!
This is only just a general question and not aimed at people/teens that had severe problems where braces were pretty much a necessity.

So I want to know if the after care is realistic and will the teeth go back to how they were if retainers aren’t worn as required?

#2 ExpatInAsia

Posted 29 December 2019 - 05:59 PM

They only wear the retainers at night.

We are about to fork out for our third pair of braces. It has been an expensive exercise but we are ensuring that our children don’t have major dental issues to deal with in the future. This is important to me as I needed braces as an adult and I wish my parents had fixed my teeth when I was a teen.

Edited by ExpatInAsia, 29 December 2019 - 06:00 PM.

#3 coolbreeze

Posted 29 December 2019 - 06:04 PM

My teen was very diligent with her braces care and retainer upkeep.
She loves her new straight teeth.
Age 14 Braces on and now retainers at night only age 16.5years.

CB

Edited by coolbreeze, 29 December 2019 - 06:06 PM.

#4 StillDreaming

Posted 29 December 2019 - 06:04 PM

I still have my retainer glued to the inside of my bottom teeth - more than 20 years after braces were removed. Easy solution for me as I started off with removable retainers and I was hopeless about wearing them.

#5 SummerStar

Posted 29 December 2019 - 06:06 PM

I have fixed retainers. So it takes zero maintenance to keep them in line. I got fixed for my kids too because I know they'd give up on removable after a time.

Would never have considered removable for myself given I hated putting invisalign in and out. But yes I have heard they move back, often worse, to where they were before if you don't have a retainer of some sort but there is a retainer that is fixed so it's a non issue. I'd not have denied my kids the self esteem boost straight teeth gave them over a retainer issue.

#6 kimasa

Posted 29 December 2019 - 06:07 PM

I "lost" my retainers very quickly.

It's only been in the past year (so 15 years later) that I've noticed movement in my teeth, one tooth has definitely moved.

#7 José

Posted 29 December 2019 - 06:08 PM

I'm.not sure how dat8ng relates to forgetting to wear a retainer at night in a teenager

Unless we have a different idea about what dat8ng in the teenage years entails....

I think if braces are recommended the teenage years are the best time to do it.
I do know a woman who got braces when she was 40. She was explaining at least once a day about why she decided to get braces at her age.

#8 anon039

Posted 29 December 2019 - 06:17 PM

View PostJosé, on 29 December 2019 - 06:08 PM, said:

I'm.not sure how dat8ng relates to forgetting to wear a retainer at night in a teenager

Unless we have a different idea about what dat8ng in the teenage years entails....

I think if braces are recommended the teenage years are the best time to do it.
I do know a woman who got braces when she was 40. She was explaining at least once a day about why she decided to get braces at her age.

Oops! I thought they had to worn all the time!
I imagined that after the relief of finally getting their braces off the last thing they’d want to do is Continue with another contraption.

#9 SummerStar

Posted 29 December 2019 - 06:38 PM

Can't even feel a fixed retainer. Nothing like having braces or aligners or anything.

#10 Expelliarmus

Posted 29 December 2019 - 06:44 PM

My three have all needed braces and for actual reasons. Not to straighten teeth. They are for adjusting the jaw.

One has finished and she is very diligent about her retainers etc. The other two have been very conscientious so far and I expect will be just as diligent about retainers.

Not wasted money at all.

#11 anon039

Posted 29 December 2019 - 06:51 PM

I have to be completely honest here....
I don’t even know what retainers are or look like.
I imagined they’re like a mouth guard but on a smaller scale.

#12 Expelliarmus

Posted 29 December 2019 - 06:54 PM

DD’s look like this https://directdental...ASABEgIgm_D_BwE

They are very thin, not bulky like a sports mouthguard. She also has a fixed wire retainer on the back of her bottom front teeth.

Edited by Expelliarmus, 29 December 2019 - 07:28 PM.

#13 anon039

Posted 29 December 2019 - 06:56 PM

View PostExpelliarmus, on 29 December 2019 - 06:54 PM, said:

DD’s look like this https://directdental...ASABEgIgm_D_BwE

They are very thin, not bulky like a sports mouthguard. She LSL has a fixed wire retainer on the back of her bottom front teeth.

Aah ok.
And they’re only work at night?

#14 Kiwi Bicycle

Posted 29 December 2019 - 06:57 PM

I only had to wear a plate for 18 months after braces as a teen. 25 years later, no teeth have moved. Considering my front two teeth were on a 30 degree angle arrowed from the rest in my mouth, there's no way I could of gone through life with my teeth uncorrected.
Plus correcting my overbite meant my teeth haven't worn down as the top teeth would of mismatched the bottom.

My retainer/ plate looked like this. You could remove it to clean it.
https://www.alburywo...ents/retainers/

Edited by Kiwi Bicycle, 29 December 2019 - 07:00 PM.

#15 SummerStar

Posted 29 December 2019 - 06:57 PM

Removable retainers are similar to this:

https://www.theortho...o_her_teeth.jpg

They click on and off and aren't very big just go over the teeth. So much smaller than a mouth guard.

Fixed look like this:

http://www.drummoyne...s of bonded.JPG

Can't see them from the outside and can't feel them from the inside unless you purposely run your tongue over the back of your teeth to find them. They are not a bother in any way and don't get forgotten.

#16 anon039

Posted 29 December 2019 - 07:01 PM

Ok they don’t look like a bother at all especially if they’re only needed to be worn at night.

#17 Twinmum+2

Posted 29 December 2019 - 07:03 PM

DS2 has had teeth removed in preparation for braces and then with one thing and another we had a few months break.  We're supposed to go back next month to finally get the braces on but I am actually thinking his teeth are looking quite good now there is more space and I even contemplated not having the braces.  But I guess we still should... Don't know how they would turn out in the end otherwise.

#18 Chelli

Posted 29 December 2019 - 07:08 PM

My DDs all had braces and all have retainers. I have to nag most nights to get them to put them on but I figure if they want their teeth to stay beautifully straight, it’s now up to them. My job is done and I won’t be paying for any more orthodontic work.

#19 Lyra

Posted 29 December 2019 - 07:19 PM

Please get them done now. I am now suffering through braces as an adult. It's horrible. It's not always about looks. I am discovering that my actual bite is also terrible and explains why I have had difficulty eating

#20 anon039

Posted 29 December 2019 - 07:22 PM

View PostLyra, on 29 December 2019 - 07:19 PM, said:

Please get them done now. I am now suffering through braces as an adult. It's horrible. It's not always about looks. I am discovering that my actual bite is also terrible and explains why I have had difficulty eating

I will definitely get them for my kids if required. Even if it’s cosmetic more than anything.

#21 onetrick

Posted 29 December 2019 - 07:37 PM

I had braces on twice as a teen- not due to me doing anything wrong, but my orthodontist made the plate (retainer) slightly wrong so it didnt work as well. So worth it still!
The plate was bloody annoying at first, but honestly my teeth were so bad beforehand that I would have done anything not to have them go back to that way. I did have to wear my plate for a while pretty much 24/7 (take it out for food and special occasions), then after a while it was night time only... and then I kind of just stopped. I still have one on my bottom teeth and my top teeth have stayed pretty much where they were after braces.
My brother was given the option of whether to have braces or not as he had a good chance of his teeth fixing themselves and he chose not to (as a teen- mum and dad would have supported either decision) and his teeth look fine now. Not perfect, but not noticeably crooked or anything.

#22 Kreme

Posted 29 December 2019 - 07:46 PM

My DD had an overbite and her jaw was misaligned. Just 14 mths of braces has made a significant difference to the shape of her face. She’ll only need them for another 6 mths max, so 18-20 mths in total. Then she will have a fixed wire retainer behind her teeth to keep them in place.

A friend resisted getting braces for her kids as she thought most problems would sort themselves out. Now her DS will be getting them at 18 when his friends have left them behind long ago. He’s not happy.

#23 CaSPer79

Posted 29 December 2019 - 08:02 PM

I had braces as a teen and again at 39 yrs. Teeth moved and I didn't wear the retainer after about 2 yrs. Wearing retainer now every night.

DD had braces at 13 yrs and wears retainer now every 2nd night if not every night.
Retainers are worn for 6 months full time after braces come off. Then night wear.

#24 anon039

Posted 29 December 2019 - 08:18 PM

View PostCaSPer79, on 29 December 2019 - 08:02 PM, said:

I had braces as a teen and again at 39 yrs. Teeth moved and I didn't wear the retainer after about 2 yrs. Wearing retainer now every night.

DD had braces at 13 yrs and wears retainer now every 2nd night if not every night.
Retainers are worn for 6 months full time after braces come off. Then night wear.

For how long? Are they to be worn forever?

#25 Holidayromp

Posted 29 December 2019 - 08:22 PM

What upkeep? As long as the retainer is used for the prescribed amount of time to stop the teeth moving once the braces have been removed then there really isn’t any ‘upkeep’ involved.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.