Has anyone ever thought that braces were a waste of money due to the upkeep required once removed?

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#26 Fizgig

Posted 29 December 2019 - 08:34 PM

I was a very lazy kid and did not wear my retainer every night or for as long as I was supposed to. When I started with braces my upper canines were high in my gums almost over my second incisors. My teeth have moved a small amount - partly from not wearing the retainer fully and partly because I clench my teeth at night when stressed, but there is no possible way they could go back to being as bad as they were or worse. In fact my teeth are now better than a friend who had naturally straight teeth but hers have also moved slightly in adulthood. I don't think they would be a waste of money if needed.

#27 PrincessPeach

Posted 29 December 2019 - 08:45 PM

The only teeth i had move after my retainers cmae out were the  bottom ones & that was thanks to a sideways wizdom tooth (which was subsequently removed).

#28 McG2013

Posted 29 December 2019 - 08:56 PM

I would definitely get them done. I had them at 17-18 then my wisdom teeth came in and my teeth moved so got them again at 24. Makes a massive difference to confidence levels when you're not self-conscious about your teeth.

If they're getting the full straight teeth/jaw alignment job, then they should be able to get bonded retainers when they're finished on the top and bottom rows so less likely to have movement later on.

#29 got my tinsel on

Posted 29 December 2019 - 09:07 PM

DD (now 20) has retainers and it's just part of her night time routine and has been for over 3 years since her braces came off.

It's funny, she recently had a birthday party and we had offered for one of her friends who lived on the other side of the city to stay the night as it would be too far to travel back by himself at night.  It took him longer to get here than anticipated as he had set out to come and then had to return home because he had left his retainer at home.

Another guest who we discovered lived quite a distance too, decided not to stay because she hadn't brought her retainer.

So it seems to me that it becomes part of their lives, that they just get on with and do.

#30 CallMeFeral

Posted 29 December 2019 - 09:36 PM

I was supposed to wear my retainer during the day, but this was 25 years ago. Dunno if they still do that.

What the braces are for makes a big difference. Not that I think there are commonly situations where they are recommended without being needed, but there's a difference in outcome between "teeth will be a bit overcrowded, can deal with it or fix as an adult" vs my son's current "adult tooth not descending, unless we do surgery and braces to drag it down it's going to get reabsorbed and he will never have that canine". Braces are for all sorts of different things, and not all are cosmetic.

#31 EsmeLennox

Posted 30 December 2019 - 09:18 AM

anon039 said:

1577610096[/url]' post='18536452']
Ok they don’t look like a bother at all especially if they’re only needed to be worn at night.

Usually at the end of treatment they wear them 24/7 (except for when eating) for about 2-3 months and then it’s just at night.

My eldest has fixed retainers and still wears his others at night...and probably will for several more years...until all wisdom teeth have been dealt with and his jaw has completely stopped growing. The fixed retainers will stay forever, unless he decides to have them removed.

I expect my middle boy will be the same, he’s nearing the end of his actual braces therapy.

Both of mine who have had braces have had them for significant overbites and DS2 had the added fun of an ectopic canine which had to be dealt with.

DH, from whom the kids inherited the overbite from, is now having dental and jaw issues because he *didn’t* have braces.

Not sure if my youngest will need them yet...probably.

Are braces worth it is a question which can only be answered in relation to *why* the braces are being recommended in the first place.

Edited by EsmeLennox, 30 December 2019 - 09:20 AM.

#32 Phascogale

Posted 30 December 2019 - 10:32 AM

We've always known my daughter would need braces.  She had them put on just after her 16th birthday.  She wishes it was earlier but she was not in a mental headspace to get it done.  We had investigated the silver braces at the beginning of the year but once she found out she needed a plate first for 6 months she refused.  She was quite happy for the braces, just not the plate.

Anyhow, ended up getting invisalign (very similar price) but it doesn't need a plate so she's much happier.

But my point was that the orthodontist did talk about a retainer at the end of treatment and mentioned that some people need to wear it every night.  Others once a week.  Others test it every 6 months (does it still fit) and essentially don't wear it.  Everyone is different and I guess it depends on the cause of the misalignment ie long term something that pushed the teeth out (dummy/thumb/whatever) it may be less critical than if there was an inhererent reason for the need.

My husband had braces as a kid and never had a retainer and his teeth certainly are not that straight (not obviously crooked with a quick look) so they have moved from his treatment (40 odd years ago so he's actually done okay).  But he had an overbite and a small jaw and had overcrowding

#33 HolierThanCow

Posted 30 December 2019 - 11:24 AM

View PostCallMeFeral, on 29 December 2019 - 09:36 PM, said:

I was supposed to wear my retainer during the day, but this was 25 years ago. Dunno if they still do that.

What the braces are for makes a big difference. Not that I think there are commonly situations where they are recommended without being needed, but there's a difference in outcome between "teeth will be a bit overcrowded, can deal with it or fix as an adult" vs my son's current "adult tooth not descending, unless we do surgery and braces to drag it down it's going to get reabsorbed and he will never have that canine". Braces are for all sorts of different things, and not all are cosmetic.

This is very true. Three different orthodontists came up with three different ways of managing my daughter's overcrowding. She didn't have alignment issues, and her teeth were straight, so the 'wait and see' option was realistic for her. We did, and two of the four spacing issues have resolved themselves. In contrast, my husband still has issues with his overbite from insufficient orthodontic work as a teenager and not wearing his retainer (perhaps a plate back then?).

Efs

Edited by HolierThanCow, 30 December 2019 - 11:25 AM.

#34 amdirel

Posted 30 December 2019 - 11:32 AM

View PostCallMeFeral, on 29 December 2019 - 09:36 PM, said:

"adult tooth not descending, unless we do surgery and braces to drag it down it's going to get reabsorbed and he will never have that canine".

Sorry what?? Reabsorbed? My 17yo has this issue, was quoted for braces but I just can't afford it. They never mentioned the tooth could be reabsorbed...

#35 ytt

Posted 30 December 2019 - 11:45 AM

Both kids had braces. DS still after years getting them off still wears his retainer at night, actually we are on to his second set as he wore the others out.

DD is terrible and I doubt wore retainers at all, maybe a few times. When DH and I were overseas on a holiday her fixed retainer on her bottom teeth broke off. In the few days it took to get to the orthodontist to get a new one her teeth moved slightly. She had to have a new retainer made up. If she wore her retainer like she should have this probably wouldn't have happened.

Both kids only have to wear the retainer at night.

#36 zenkitty

Posted 30 December 2019 - 11:53 AM

I have a fixed lower retainer and had a plate retainer for my top teeth at 17. I was appalling at remembering to wear it, and gave up on it much sooner than I was meant to, pretty sure it was only a few months.

15 years on I can see that a couple of top teeth are very slightly out of alignment but nowhere near as bad as they were prior to braces. Overall, they look straight. I’ve got four wisdom teeth still which may have caused some movement too.

#37 chicken_bits

Posted 30 December 2019 - 12:43 PM

I've still got a wire on my bottom teeth nearly 20 years after I got my braces removed. I had a top wire for about 10 years before the glue started to deteriorate and I got it removed because I wear a night splint for bruxism anyway. If I didn't wear a night splint, I'd get a top wire put on because I notice my teeth have shifted a little bit if I've been unwell and haven't worn my splint for a few nights.

The cost of maintenance vs the cost of braces is negligible!

#38 jayskette

Posted 30 December 2019 - 12:53 PM

what a strange question. no one that I know has ever thought braces are a waste of money (private education on the other hand...), and there should be no upkeep at all after treatment if the orthodontist has done it properly.

#39 Gumbette

Posted 30 December 2019 - 12:59 PM

At 13 I had braces and wore a retainer a night.  Often I would skip a couple of nights as I hated them.  I now have perfect teeth that 30 years later people still comment on. In my case it was well worth it and I’m so very grateful that as a single mum, my mother still found a way to pay for them.

#40 sa5h

Posted 30 December 2019 - 01:16 PM

View PostStillDreaming, on 29 December 2019 - 06:04 PM, said:

I still have my retainer glued to the inside of my bottom teeth - more than 20 years after braces were removed. Easy solution for me as I started off with removable retainers and I was hopeless about wearing them.

Seconding this! I had braces when I was 13-14, then the removable retainer for a couple of months before getting the bonded wire retainer on my top and bottom teeth. I’m in my early 30’s now and my teeth are still just as straight as when I first had braces off.

#41 EPZ

Posted 30 December 2019 - 01:48 PM

We will have night retainers and orthotics, so there will be things to remember but that’s part of growing up and if you have issues, which require correction, it’s part of it. Just like wearing glass’s I guess.  

My kids have had palate expanders, to widen their jaws also. Night plate is nothing,  lol.

Our Otho won’t do the bonded retainers anymore as they say tiny food particles can get caught although I haven’t heard this from a patient perspective before.

#42 SummerStar

Posted 30 December 2019 - 01:59 PM

I haven't had any issues with mine. And twu if our dentists who had ortho treatment have had fixed retainers for years with no issues.

Mine have been on over a year. I'm still yet to have a hole, decay or a filling so I'm happy with fixed. I have heard some won't do them though, older ortho's and those who have been told they might cause a problem, orthodontists don't do dental so wouldn't really see long term what happens once the patient leaves their care. And any dentist can reattach or have new retainers made without ever seeing the orthodontist again.

#43 Sash

Posted 30 December 2019 - 03:55 PM

Both of my kids have had braces and both have fixed retainers. We had the choice of fixed or removable.

#44 *Ker*

Posted 30 December 2019 - 04:55 PM

DS has braces. He had two crossbites and massive overcrowding. He also had a palate expander - that was painful to deal with. He's having a fixed retainer because I know full well he wouldn't wear a removable one! He's terrible at "forgetting" to put the elastic bands on.

#45 CaSPer79

Posted 30 December 2019 - 06:59 PM

View Postanon039, on 29 December 2019 - 08:18 PM, said:

For how long? Are they to be worn forever?

Yes night time forever. My ortho said after 3yr I could possible skip a night, so every 2nd night wear them.

#46 iwanttosleepin

Posted 30 December 2019 - 07:36 PM

You are right - plenty of people who have braces as kid/teenager end up with teeth moving back again.  there are certain types of conditions that inevitably relapse.  for example, crossed front teeth are notorious! but it is usually easier to fix the second time.

Of my 4 siblings - 2 have had serious lapses in crowding.

I never wore a retainer and never had a mm of movement.  I also didn't have my bite corrected and just had them cosmetically 'straightened'.  25 years later all the same. straight but wrong bite.  I told my orthodontist I wouldn't be wearing a retainer and that he may as well not make one.  I have never had my wisdom teeth out either.  my orthodontist didn't do fixed retainers due to long term issues with cavities.

my 2 sisters had much more extensive treatment and both have had relapse in crowding.  1 is very bad.

I had a friend who had braces 3 times and had the 'tissue' around each tooth cut to try and keep them in place.  it didn't work.

#47 Tinky Winky Woo

Posted 30 December 2019 - 07:48 PM

I wouldn't have them - unless it was for medically required reasons.  My teeth are not perfectly straight but they work properly.

#48 WaitForMe

Posted 30 December 2019 - 09:37 PM

I'm very happy with my straight teeth. I got them because I had jaw and biting issues, but I happily admit I'm thankful for the improved look.

I have heard people compare it to cosmetic surgery for kids and yeah I see that.

View PostExpelliarmus, on 29 December 2019 - 06:54 PM, said:

DD’s look like this https://directdental...ASABEgIgm_D_BwE

They are very thin, not bulky like a sports mouthguard. She also has a fixed wire retainer on the back of her bottom front teeth.

I got both the above removable retainer as well as a fixed retainer, which back 20+ years ago is essentially a wire glued to the back of my teeth. Not sure if thats how its still done. My bottom one is still partially attached, a couple of teeth have lost the glue. The top one came almost completely off a few years ago so I had it removed.

I've asked dentists to remove the bottom one as well but they are always reluctant and talk me out of it as the bottom teeth are the most likely to move back to their original position, and want me to see my orthodontist but he is in a different state to me now. So I'll leave it until more teeth come loose from it.

The removable one, I think I had to wear it all the time at first, then just at night. No end date but I stopped after probably about 6 months.

#49 Expelliarmus

Posted 30 December 2019 - 10:25 PM

I think it’s important not to judge why people have chosen braces for their children. Only two out of mine didn’t have cosmetically straight teeth but all three needed jaw and bite realignment quite badly. Their father had braces as an adult as well. At no point did we do this for cosmetic reasons.

Put it this way, it now makes perfect sense why all three were terrible at breastfeeding. They had bad jaws.

#50 CallMeFeral

Posted 30 December 2019 - 10:51 PM

View PostHolierThanCow, on 30 December 2019 - 11:24 AM, said:

We did, and two of the four spacing issues have resolved themselves.

Yeah, there was some further work I was advised would need doing once my wisdom teeth came out - so far I'm in my 40s and it's still not needed doing. However some of the other stuff I had done definitely needed to be sorted then and there.

View Postamdirel, on 30 December 2019 - 11:32 AM, said:

Sorry what?? Reabsorbed? My 17yo has this issue, was quoted for braces but I just can't afford it. They never mentioned the tooth could be reabsorbed...

That's what we were told. Googling now it seems to be a thing, but it's something to do with risk of root resorption of the teeth near it, not the tooth itself? I don't fully understand. However, if he's 17 now and it hasn't been a problem, perhaps it's not in the problematic category. We were told it should be sorted out by the time he was 10.

https://www.sylvainc...-teeth-canines/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.