Has anyone ever thought that braces were a waste of money due to the upkeep required once removed?

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#51 nom_de_plume

Posted 31 December 2019 - 06:50 AM

I had braces as a teen and my teeth moved A bit when my wisdom teeth (impacted) started trying to come through at 18/19. I should have really had braces put back on for 12-18 months post wisdom teeth removal but I elected not to as it’s only my bottom teeth that have shifted. My teeth haven’t moved any more.

#52 amdirel

Posted 31 December 2019 - 07:50 AM

View PostCallMeFeral, on 30 December 2019 - 10:51 PM, said:

Yeah, there was some further work I was advised would need doing once my wisdom teeth came out - so far I'm in my 40s and it's still not needed doing. However some of the other stuff I had done definitely needed to be sorted then and there.

That's what we were told. Googling now it seems to be a thing, but it's something to do with risk of root resorption of the teeth near it, not the tooth itself? I don't fully understand. However, if he's 17 now and it hasn't been a problem, perhaps it's not in the problematic category. We were told it should be sorted out by the time he was 10.

https://www.sylvainc...-teeth-canines/
Hmmm thanks for that article. It seemed fairly confident in recommending the baby tooth is removed though, which was put to us as an 'option', but we didn't take it because then it risks the other teeth moving into that gap, rather than the adult canine. Maybe we should get it removed... Gosh I wish I could just afford to get him braces. :(

#53 barrington

Posted 31 December 2019 - 08:14 AM

View Postamdirel, on 31 December 2019 - 07:50 AM, said:

Hmmm thanks for that article. It seemed fairly confident in recommending the baby tooth is removed though, which was put to us as an 'option', but we didn't take it because then it risks the other teeth moving into that gap, rather than the adult canine. Maybe we should get it removed... Gosh I wish I could just afford to get him braces. Posted Image
One of mine has had a baby tooth removed and a spacer put in that spot until the correct adult tooth erupted.

#54 amdirel

Posted 31 December 2019 - 08:15 AM

View Postbarrington, on 31 December 2019 - 08:14 AM, said:

One of mine has had a baby tooth removed and a spacer put in that spot until the correct adult tooth erupted.
Oh that's a good idea. Was that by an orthodontist or dentist?

#55 Threelittleducks

Posted 31 December 2019 - 08:27 AM

Braces aren't just about straightening teeth. In my case it was either braces to make room for new teeth or take a bunch of teeth out with the long term consequences of that.

I will be forever grateful my parents didn't take the cheap option.

I suggest you find out exactly why braces are needed, other than for cosmetic purposes.

Good Luck

#56 barrington

Posted 31 December 2019 - 08:34 AM

View Postamdirel, on 31 December 2019 - 08:15 AM, said:

Oh that's a good idea. Was that by an orthodontist or dentist?
I believe the paed dentist removed the tooth and then the orthodontist put the spacer in.

#57 SummerStar

Posted 31 December 2019 - 08:36 AM

It's not always about cosmetic but I did mine for cosmetic reasons. Wish I'd done it as a teen. It improved my self esteem immensely but I'm middle aged now. I was very self conscious and never smiled as a teen because of my teeth. I see nothing wrong with improving self esteem for myself or for my kids by getting braces. Don't see why some have an issue with that.

#58 CaSPer79

Posted 31 December 2019 - 01:09 PM

View PostSummerStar, on 31 December 2019 - 08:36 AM, said:

It's not always about cosmetic but I did mine for cosmetic reasons. Wish I'd done it as a teen. It improved my self esteem immensely but I'm middle aged now. I was very self conscious and never smiled as a teen because of my teeth. I see nothing wrong with improving self esteem for myself or for my kids by getting braces. Don't see why some have an issue with that.

Same. In my teens it was all for correction of a overbite and removal of wisdom teeth because I have a small jaw and nothing was fitting correctly.As an adult it was cosmetic because my teeth moved again and I had a huge gap in my front teeth and never smiled with an open mouth or talked much.
DD's was for correction too. But if she had asked about straighten then yes I probably would of got them for her as well.

#59 Hollycoddle

Posted 01 January 2020 - 07:50 AM

View PostCaSPer79, on 30 December 2019 - 06:59 PM, said:

Yes night time forever. My ortho said after 3yr I could possible skip a night, so every 2nd night wear them.

Must depend on the individual. I only had to wear my plate at night for about 18 months after getting the braces off. Teeth haven't moved. My ortho strongly recommended that all of his patients have all their wisdoms removed as they came through, which I did, don't know if that makes a difference.

#60 Hands Up

Posted 01 January 2020 - 08:38 AM

I’ve never thought of mine as a waste of money, no. I wouldn’t hesitate to pay for them for my kids to get them either.

#61 RabbitHash

Posted 01 January 2020 - 09:05 AM

My braces were for straightening my bite and jaw. I still wear my retainer at night because before braces my jaw and ear used to ache terribly. No wish to go back to that.
My second DD has the same jaw and issues so there will be braces in her future.

Edited by RabbitHash, 01 January 2020 - 09:06 AM.

#62 CallMeFeral

Posted 01 January 2020 - 01:27 PM

View Postamdirel, on 31 December 2019 - 07:50 AM, said:

Hmmm thanks for that article. It seemed fairly confident in recommending the baby tooth is removed though, which was put to us as an 'option', but we didn't take it because then it risks the other teeth moving into that gap, rather than the adult canine. Maybe we should get it removed... Gosh I wish I could just afford to get him braces. Posted Image

It's so hard, they are SO expensive!
Is there a public option? We shelled out a crazy amount last year as 5yo DD had some weird decay issue that had to be dealt with immediately (and she had to get a spacer as PP mentioned to hold the spot of the removed tooth so others didn't fill it). Over the course of the conversation it emerged that this VERY accomplished Harvard trained lady worked at this private practice part time, and most of the time was at the public clinic at the Children's Hospital, where it appears all this stuff gets done for free. I had no idea there was such a thing, or how one finds out about it, but perhaps there's something there you could look into?

#63 -Emissary-

Posted 01 January 2020 - 01:59 PM

What’s wrong with getting braces for cosmetic reasons? I got mine as an adult for cosmetic reasons and I’m glad I did. I hated smiling in photos until I got my teeth fixed up.

I had fixed retainers put on the top but don’t wear anything for the below. My bottom teeth have moved a bit but I’m not too fuss about them.

I wish I did mine during my teenage years when my mum presented it as an option. Back then private health insurance would have covered majority of the costs. It might have saved my two premolars from being removed as an adult.

My kids will definitely get braces even if it’s just for cosmetic reasons. DS1 thankfully doesn’t look like he needs braces at the moment but we’re still waiting on a few more adult teeth to come out.

Edited by -Emissary-, 01 January 2020 - 02:01 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.