How do you survive the school holidays?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 bubskitkat

Posted 01 January 2020 - 03:53 PM

How do you survive the school holidays?

Not only are kids out of routine but many of us are as well. Trying to work, keep the house running and caring for our children with additional needs.

I’m passing a bottle of champagne to you all whom manage to survive the school holidays!

#2 bubskitkat

Posted 01 January 2020 - 03:57 PM

Here’s my survival tactics.

Christmas to New Years my son was at his dads for Christmas night and boxing night.

Then my father hired a cottage down at the beach for us all from Boxing Day until 1/1/20. He minded my son and autstic brother on Sunday night so I could go to work on Monday and then drive back to the beach. Next 2 days are days off work and the.

From Monday I have 3 weeks of beautiful school holiday program. Then until the end of school holidays I’m begging child sitting. My ex won’t help.

#3 MayaTheGrinch

Posted 01 January 2020 - 03:58 PM

Well we are currently at my in laws house. It’s been ok. The test of the school holidays will come when we return home next week. Seeing how my vacation care fell through and my kids will need to be home alone for 4-5 hours a day (they are old enough but...)

From experience we only had smooth holidays by introducing “holiday homework”. Just some worksheets and reading and maths practice but somehow it helped my particular children. (Oldest loves school and thrives when it runs).

Lots of board games, card games, bike riding, scooters, swimming and limited screens is our usual go to.

4 more weeks...

Edited by MayaTheGrinch, 01 January 2020 - 03:59 PM.

#4 luke's mummu

Posted 01 January 2020 - 03:58 PM

It does get easier as they get older. But yes the lack of routine and boredom and lack of reciprocal play dates drives me crazy

#5 Silverstreak

Posted 01 January 2020 - 04:49 PM

We'll be using the school holiday program. This will be DS' fifth time going. The first couple of times I kept him on site with activities, but now he enjoys travelling by bus to go to the movies, fun parks etc.

Apart from that we've tried to stay within routine somewhat with meals and bed times despite the busy xmas period and we go for walks / to the park a lot to burn off energy. We've visited relatives and gone to the beach for a paddle. Was hoping to catch up with friends for play dates, but everyone is busy and exhausted this time of year!

I've also been getting DS more involved in household chores, so helping me unload the dishwasher, watching me cook, stirring food in the saucepan, loading the clothes into the washing machine etc, to teach him a bit more independence and stop him getting bored, plus it helps out DH and I.

#6 Murderino

Posted 01 January 2020 - 09:30 PM

Sorry I thought this was in single parents forum so have deleted my response now I realise it’s not.

Edited by Murderino, 04 January 2020 - 09:43 PM.

#7 Jingleflea

Posted 02 January 2020 - 06:24 AM

I don't belong in this section but I keep DD's routine pretty much the same all year.
Same bedtime, same waking time. That way we don't have to struggle when school starts.

#8 Yippee-Ki-Yay

Posted 02 January 2020 - 11:50 AM

I have always struggled to deal with school holidays when the kids are out of whack.

My older child still at 18yo needs a lot of guidance, interaction and  direction while my younger child needs a lot of down time and quiet. Not a fun combination to juggle. As they are getting older they are a little more flexible with negotiating their needs and getting along with each other, but there is very little time where I don’t need to have one eye on them to make sure the 18yo doesn’t steamroll the 16yo.

When they were younger I would draw up a schedule for them to help them manage their days. It had EVERYTHING in it, from snack breaks to personal care to reading time to gaming time. It was well received by both kids and gave me some freedom to relax. If I popped out of the house for anything, they would call me to check if they wanted to switch an activity. I was a life saver at the time.

#9 123Tree

Posted 02 January 2020 - 12:22 PM

My boys don’t deal with vacation care so I have taken the whole time as leave. This means I will be stuffed during the year but I was at a loss what to o do.  

DS1 has been absolutely out of control at times over the last few months so I am trying to use this time to get back to basics. Christmas week was terrible it was like I didn’t know who he was. ☹️

I am glad I have this forum for support and find you ladies so inspirational. I was reading threads of the year before and the special needs wins would get my vote.

And I am putting aside time to teach the boys to swim which so far (three lessons) hasn’t resulted in me wanting to run away from home. 😀

#10 Charli73

Posted 04 January 2020 - 06:14 AM

We keep the same routine like meal times and bed times the same so we have some consistency. DS has a calendar we write where they will be and who will be home with them (me DH or nanna) so they know what is coming up and when.

DS plays mainly with his sister and I wish he has friends at school I could organise a play date as his sister has a bestie and it makes him sad he doesn’t have the same. It breaks my heart.

#11 QuirkyMum

Posted 08 January 2020 - 07:35 PM

I'm with Maya ( or our kids have similar profiles...).
Less screens. And more defined "school" homework ( as in 2 pages of maths, 1 essay and 1 page of handwriting for instance). I give extra half an hour of screen time for each (predefined) lot of maths/English sheets...
Otherwise reading/quiet days.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.