3 baby mover question

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 SergeyAU

Posted 02 January 2020 - 12:52 PM

Hello
I am not sure if 3 babies classed as a larger family, but hope someone can share their experience.
We currently have 2 kids - 4 and 2.
3rd baby is due in May, so kids will be almost 5, 3 and 0
Our family car is Nissan Quashqai and I managed to fit 3 car seats on the back.

Can someone please share what issue we may have with our current car and how long can we realistically manage 3 kids in it?
Was hoping to keep the car for another year until new baby will be moved to forward facing seat (3 will not fit on the back in FF mode)

#2 theworldsgonemad

Posted 02 January 2020 - 01:04 PM

If you can fit the 3 car seats in now you should not have any issues keeping the car for another 12-18mths as long as you stay rear facing during that time.

We have a new ASX which was larger in the back seat than my Holden Cruze which I had 3 FF car seats in at one stage. We didnt go for the qashqai because internally it looked to be smaller than the ASX but I didnt do a proper measure of anything.

I found there where more issues when 1 child moved out of the car seat or into non harnessed boosters than the 3 in car seats as you then have more issues with seat belts & reaching for them etc.

#3 SM3s Fight Song

Posted 02 January 2020 - 01:11 PM

You may find you can fit 3 FF by getting slimmer FF seats.  The car seat fitter said ours will be limited when the tops of the car seats touch against the wall, as they need to be able to move in a crash.  We don't have a very big car, but swapped out one of our FFing seats and got all 3 in for the moment.

#4 Lallalla

Posted 02 January 2020 - 01:29 PM

I agree with trying different models of car seats. The ones we ended up with did not work on paper but did in real life because of the points where they were at their widest/slimmest.

Issues we came up against (noting we had 3 under 2 so some of this is crazy close in age related):
- initially the oldest being able to climb into her seat in the middle was an issue,
- Kids fighting and not being able to separate them while the car is moving. This became a particular issue when 1 toddler discovered she could kick her sister in the face while strapped into her car seat
- Not being able to give anyone a lift ever because every seat was taken
- space in general, fitting the double pram, 3 children and groceries in the car at once or packing the car to go away became games of Tetris.

Edited to say despite all of this we did make it work for 2.5 years and I am glad we did. We had a Forester, specifically the model that had a short 3 year run where the back row was unusually and frustratingly small for that size car

Edited by Lallalla, 02 January 2020 - 01:32 PM.

#5 Kiwi Bicycle

Posted 02 January 2020 - 03:33 PM

My 2 cents for the future is the middle seat issue. We had solo DS6 sitting in the middle in a car seat until this year. Basically it became an issue when his legs got long enough that the centre console of the SUV got in the way of his legs and he couldn't get comfortable. We now moved him to the side.
I have a friend who has managed 3 across in her Toyota Corolla hatch. However she is still rear facing her 2 year old to fit everyone in.

#6 SergeyAU

Posted 02 January 2020 - 04:52 PM

thanks everyone. Seems to be doable to keep the car for another 2 years

#7 Jersey Caramel

Posted 11 January 2020 - 02:23 PM

It is safest to keep baby rearfacing for around 2 years anyway, assuming they are not very large for their age.  By then your eldest will be 6yo (is that right?) so possibly a narrow booster seat would be an option - though often this introduces other issues in terms of being able to reach in to buckle them. It is really a matter of trying different combos of seats until you find one that puzzles together well.

Good luck!

#8 Nebula

Posted 14 January 2020 - 01:41 AM

I fit 3 seats forward facing in my lancer, after that I had a holden wagon, then a toyota kluger, and now a kia carnival thanks to 4 kids lol.

#9 SergeyAU

Posted 14 January 2020 - 11:36 PM

we stop at 3, I think =)
Still have about 4 months to go until the 3rd is born. We will see how we go

#10 maryanneK

Posted 10 February 2020 - 08:37 PM

we got 3 seats across the back of our holden cruze for a few years. We just had to have the rear facing baby seat in the middle, so the wide bits of the rear facing baby seat didnt have to fit between the wide top 'wings' of the other two seats in the back.

now we have a commodore wagon which is fantastic. The three seats fit easily, front or rear facing, and we've been able to move the baby seat to one side which is so much easier to get him in and out of.

My advice is to look at a larger family wagon or sedan. We looked at SUVs for more room and there were always much narrower. All the car sales staff said the same thing - the SUVs are higher but not wider, so not much good for getting 3 seats across the back. Much smaller boot space too. To get the equivalent internal space you have to go up to one of the really huge SUVs.

agree with PPs, keep them in a harnessed booster as long as possible, much easier to do the harness up at the front than try and scrounge around in the tiny space between the seats to find a seatbelt buckle

#11 maryanneK

Posted 10 February 2020 - 08:41 PM

and as PPs have said, its definitely doable for a while longer. My youngest is 22 months and still small enough for rear facing - so if you can fit them in at the moment, you should be fine until your baby grows out of rear facing

Unless your eldest grows out of the harnessed booster and you have to use the seat belt buckle - we had 3 across in our old car but only in harnessed booster - seats were jammed agaisnt each other and there wouldnt have been room to access the seatbelt buckle for a seatbelt only booster.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.