"I dont know"

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 3frogs4u

Posted 02 January 2020 - 02:14 PM

My 13yr dd 99% is replying with "i dont know " even about things she should easily know . For example we went bowling  - i asked her what size for shoes , she replies "i dont know".
I asked her why her friend moved , she responded "i dont know"
Anyone else having this battle ? When does it get better and does anyone have tips on how to not get an "i dont know" response. Its driving me mad

#2 magic_marker

Posted 02 January 2020 - 02:34 PM

Open ended questions is my only thought right now.

#3 got my tinsel on

Posted 02 January 2020 - 02:39 PM

My 20yo is the same.

Eg.  A friend of DD's recently posted that he had thought this year was his final at uni but he's now discovered that he has 3 semesters to go, not 2.

I asked DD why as they are doing the same degree, started at the same time etc.  I don't know, was the answer.  Didn't you ask?  No.  Why not?  That's being nosey, he would have said if he wanted people to know.

Eg.  So-and-so got a job.  Great, where are they working.  I don't know.  Didn't you ask?  No....

:doh:

Happens all the time.

#4 rosie28

Posted 02 January 2020 - 02:40 PM

My brother did this. My parents responded with “well find out!” at varying levels of intensity depending on the question at hand. Drove them bonkers. I was the opposite, I knew everything, which I imagine was just as annoying ;)

#5 #notallcats

Posted 02 January 2020 - 02:52 PM

View Postgot my tinsel on, on 02 January 2020 - 02:39 PM, said:

I asked DD why as they are doing the same degree, started at the same time etc.  I don't know, was the answer.  Didn't you ask?  No.  Why not?  That's being nosey, he would have said if he wanted people to know.

omg that is the EXACT conversations I have with my 12 year old. I thought it might end one day, seems not!

#6 Bono25

Posted 02 January 2020 - 03:27 PM

That's normal teenage behavior isn't it? 😉

#7 DogsLife

Posted 03 January 2020 - 12:33 PM

You could start replying with the "I don't know" back.  

My DD went through this stage and I started giving it back

DD - What is for dinner tonight?
ME - I don't know.

DD - Can I get a lift to such-and-such's house?
ME - I don't know.

Seemed to snap her mostly out of it after a few days.

#8 MerryMadrigalMadge

Posted 03 January 2020 - 12:39 PM

Reminds me of this....

https://youtu.be/_veIGGP1Uh4

#9 Tokra

Posted 03 January 2020 - 12:44 PM

View PostMerryMadrigalMadge, on 03 January 2020 - 12:39 PM, said:

Reminds me of this....

Omg, forgot about this!!!!

#10 magic_marker

Posted 03 January 2020 - 12:46 PM

Reminds me of this....

That's gold.

#11 IamtheMumma

Posted 03 January 2020 - 01:02 PM

Reminds me of this....

Was coming to post this. Teens in a nutshell.

#12 rainycat

Posted 03 January 2020 - 01:24 PM

My 10 yr old was saying “I’m not sure” to everything. Did my head in but I think we are nearing the end of this stage.

#13 Mumsyto2

Posted 03 January 2020 - 02:58 PM

Completely normal. Extremely irritating but completely normal. After a few years they seem to come out of the other side of it. I’m just surprised you seem to be getting three distinct words. Mine tended to morph it into a single word - idono. Similar to Idaho. So it may even get to that before getting better. It’s just a phase. May last a few years but just a phase and they all seem to do it. I’m sure someone will know come on telling us about their unicorn teen though.

#14 marple

Posted 03 January 2020 - 03:19 PM

No unicorn teens for me. Only advice is when they ask you for something to reply the way they do " Dunno", "not sure" "nah" etc.
I do a "sorry what did you say" when I get that response or more likely "soz didn't hear you grumpybum"
They do improve. Hang in there!

#15 wilding

Posted 03 January 2020 - 03:35 PM

:secret:Mum asks us something and we still reply with that, sorry mum! :rofl:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.