Reading Challenge 2020

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 Lady Sybil Vimes

Posted 02 January 2020 - 09:44 PM

It’s time to start fresh, fellow readers. Who’s in for the 2020 reading challenge?

As always, post your reading goal for the year and I’ll keep this post updated. You decide what counts as a book: novel, nonfiction, audiobook, graphic novel etc. and feel free to jump in at any time during the year. All are welcome!

I’m going to upgrade my goal to 40 this year since I went past 30 easily last time.

Threetwoone: 24
~strawberry~: 100
Astrocyte: 52 books & 20,000 pages
71Cath: 20
monet: 60
born.a.girl: 52
cardamom:26
newmumandexcited: 100
Sancti-claws: 50
Lou-bags: 35
Lunagirl: 75
Lady Sybil Vimes: 40

Edited by Lady Sybil Vimes, 17 January 2020 - 06:52 AM.

#2 Lunagirl

Posted 02 January 2020 - 09:56 PM

Thank you!

I got to 66 last year and was studying earlier in the year, so I reckon I can push through to 75 this year.

#3 Lou-bags

Posted 02 January 2020 - 10:14 PM

I’m in.

I read 31 last year so will up my goal modestly to 35.

Also, of those 31, 27 were popsugar prompts so my minor reading goal is to do more than 27 of this year’s prompts. I’ve really enjoyed how that challenge has made me read outside of my comfort zone.

#4 Sancti-claws

Posted 03 January 2020 - 05:32 AM

Count me in.  I set a 36 goal last year and got to 63!!!

This year I will aim for 50, but will be tracking also my misses, because I am finding that I am rejecting part-way through almost as many (if not more) than I actually complete!!

#5 newmumandexcited

Posted 03 January 2020 - 06:48 AM

I’m aiming for 100. I was at 94 ish last year.

#6 cardamom

Posted 03 January 2020 - 07:12 AM

I'll set my goal at a modest 26 again - 1 a fortnight. I think I ended up on 30 for 2019. If I set it higher I'll end up all paralysed with pressure :laugh:

PS - thanks for starting the thread LSV!

Edited by cardamom, 03 January 2020 - 07:12 AM.

#7 born.a.girl

Posted 03 January 2020 - 07:32 AM

Haven't joined before, but will give me a good record of what I've read.

I read more than a book a week, but will set my aim for 52.

I've just finished one so i guess I should start:

1.  Brenda Niall's 'Can you hear the sea'.

#8 monet

Posted 03 January 2020 - 09:06 AM

Thanks LSV.  I'm aiming for 60 this year.

#1 Girl, Woman, Other - Bernardine Evaristo which I can recommend.

#9 71Cath

Posted 03 January 2020 - 11:16 AM

Thanks LSV.

I was aiming for 15 last year and got to 59, but like cardamom I don’t want to pressure myself if things go pear shaped.

I’ll make my goal 20.

#10 monet

Posted 04 January 2020 - 07:53 PM

#2 The Mysterious Affair At Styles - Agatha Christie

#11 born.a.girl

Posted 05 January 2020 - 05:05 PM

#2: Dear Leader - Jang Jin-Sung

I used to want to go to North Korea & Cuba, both high on my bucket list. The more I read about North Korea the less I wanted to go, the more I read about Cuba the more I wanted to go, and I did.

#12 Astrocyte

Posted 06 January 2020 - 02:19 PM

My goal is to read 52 books and 20,000 pages. I had the same goal last year but didn't reach it. Hopefully this year will be more successful.

#13 Lunagirl

Posted 06 January 2020 - 09:16 PM

#1 The Passengers - John Marrs

This was such a page-turner that I read it in one sitting. It's a thriller set in the near future when autonomous vehicles are taking over our roads. A hacker takes control of eight driverless cars and sets them on a collision course. It's a good examination of the adaptation of technology and the value of a human life.

#14 Sancti-claws

Posted 07 January 2020 - 05:36 AM

#1 Miss Ex-Yugoslavia - Sofija Stefanovic

Well worth the read - made me laugh in places (and also opened my eyes a bit in places)

#15 born.a.girl

Posted 07 January 2020 - 05:48 AM

#3 The Birthday Girl - Haruki Murakami

Bit of a cheat one, really.  I didn't realise it was a very short, short story published as a little book.  I think I read it in half an hour. Bit underwhelmed, too, or maybe I just didn't 'get it'. Usually love his books, esp 1Q84 series.

Edited by born.a.girl, 07 January 2020 - 05:48 AM.

#16 ceeshell

Posted 07 January 2020 - 06:00 AM

I’m in. 40 for me. I had the same goal last year but only made it to 33. I know I can do it this year.

#1: Olive, Again by Elizabeth Strout

Her writing is like meditation to me. I savour it.

#17 71Cath

Posted 07 January 2020 - 08:06 PM

#1 The Camomile Lawn by Mary Wesley.  Recommended by Heather Morris (The Tattooist of Auschwitz) when I went to a book signing of hers.  She said it is her favourite novel.  After a build up like that, I was underwhelmed.

#18 born.a.girl

Posted 10 January 2020 - 07:27 AM

#4 The Tattooist of Auschwitz by Heather Morris.

I've read a lot about the Holocaust, and I knew they sterilised untold numbers of people, but this was the first time I knew that number was over 400,000.

#19 cardamom

Posted 10 January 2020 - 08:04 AM

#1 - Invisible As Air, Zoe Fishman. It lost me a little towards the end but overall I really enjoyed it.

#20 Lou-bags

Posted 10 January 2020 - 09:32 AM

The Suspect, Fiona Barton (audiobook version)

This is the third of hers I’ve read/listened too. I liked it.

#21 Sancti-claws

Posted 10 January 2020 - 09:46 PM

#2 The Long Forgotten - David Whitehouse

Strangely enthralling tale well told.

#22 born.a.girl

Posted 11 January 2020 - 07:04 AM

#5  your own kind of girl, by Clare Bowditch

Highly recommend this one for anyone suffering from anxiety or depression.  I can't imagine what it took for her to write this book.

This is how many books you can read when you don't have school age children ha ha.  I'll slow down, I've had a bit of a binge.

#23 Lunagirl

Posted 13 January 2020 - 10:05 PM

#2 Undying - Amie Kaufman and Meagan Spooner

YA sci-fi. It's a sequel to the book Unearthed and I can't really say anything about it without introducing major spoilers for the first. I liked both, first was better though.

#24 Sancti-claws

Posted 14 January 2020 - 05:33 AM

#3 Every Lie I've Ever Told - Rosie Waterland

She writes in a very entertaining style, and it was autobiography woven with a sort of eulogy for a friend - it was well done.

#25 71Cath

Posted 14 January 2020 - 08:29 AM

#2 Virgin River by Robyn Carr.  I stumbled on the series on Netflix and binged it in a weekend, then discovered it is a series of books.  I bought number one and enjoyed it, but number 2 seems unavailable.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.