ADHD & fish oil (SN forum)

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 IamtheMumma

Posted 05 January 2020 - 08:43 AM

DS has started Ritalin and working up to therapeutic dose. I've been reading a lot and I see fish oil being mentioned in a few places. I also see coffee mentioned but its not peer reviewed.

Anyway DS has been taking fish oil since 2. I started it as it was supposed to help with brain development and function. DS is developmentally delayed according NDIS criteria. The product he will eat, and its the only one. I've tried the others and he won't eat them. I've wasted some serious dollars trialling other versions. So his brand has been discontinued.

I'm not sure if I should try and buy up as much as I can of it or just give it up. I'm leaning more towards giving up as I can't say I've noticed a difference and now he's on Ritalin, he'll hopefully be getting benefit from that, so no loss if we stop.

#2 MayaTheGrinch

Posted 05 January 2020 - 09:16 AM

We never saw any difference using fish oil so I stopped. My kids eat fish (and crab and other seafood) on a regular basis though. They catch is so they eat it. I think it’s fine to stop.

I hope the Ritalin trial is going well.

#3 Mumsyto2

Posted 05 January 2020 - 11:47 AM

Fish oil never did anything with mine. Don’t get me wrong, I think it’s great stuff generally for lots of systems in the body but specifically it never assisted anything in regards to ADHD behaviours for mine.

#4 FuzzyChocolateToes

Posted 05 January 2020 - 11:56 AM

I gave fish oil a go. A long, long go. Tried various types for months and months. Still ended up on medication. I don't think it's worth the money.

#5 OrangeSprout

Posted 05 January 2020 - 02:16 PM

I used fish oil for my son and also Caruso's Kids Calm & Behaviour...

The fish oil did nothing.
The Caruso's product made him worse.

I did lots of research and reading but we have ended up on Concerta now.

#6 IamzFeralz

Posted 05 January 2020 - 03:33 PM

My son took it for two years. When he was younger  Did not see any difference and I gave up.

#7 IamtheMumma

Posted 05 January 2020 - 03:58 PM

Thanks. I'll ditch it.

#8 Gumbette

Posted 05 January 2020 - 04:49 PM

Developmental paediatrician suggested it for DD, but said the only brand with any scientific backing was Eye Q.  It requires mega doses at the beginning (for 6 weeks from memory), I ran out half way through and gave up.

#9 Prancer is coming

Posted 05 January 2020 - 09:57 PM

If he has been on it since he was 2, I am guessing he has been taking it for several years now?  It sounds like it has not helped at all, so ditch it!

i have tried fish oil.  My under standing is there is not strong scientific evidence.  People suggest all sorts of things once they know something is wrong with your child, often ridiculous things.  Unless your paed tells you to do it, I would not bother.

#10 Paddlepop

Posted 05 January 2020 - 10:14 PM

Apparently most fish oil is oxidised by the time a consumer takes it, so it loses its supposed beneficial effects.

I used to give DD fish oil but don't anymore since we could no longer get one in the flavour she likes. Haven't noticed any difference in her. I took flaxseed oil throughout the pregnancy to give her omegas. I hate fish oil. Even the flavourless no reflux fish oil would reflux and taste awful to me.

Like others, DD is on Ritalin LA for her ADHD and it works brilliantly. Love it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.