Food you thought you hated cause your parents didn't cook it properly?

• Please log in to reply
112 replies to this topic

#1 LadyGreyTea

Posted 05 January 2020 - 10:12 AM

Were there certain foods you thought you hated as a child, only to realise it was cause your parents didn't know how to cook it properly?
For example vegies boiled to the point of mush, or overcooked steak?
I hated vanilla ice cream as a kid cause mum always bought the cheap artificial tasting kind, but then tasted French vanilla or vanilla bean ice cream as an adult and was blown away

Edited by LadyGreyTea, 05 January 2020 - 12:45 PM.

#2 BadCat

Posted 05 January 2020 - 10:21 AM

Broccoli - mum served it limp and kind of grey looking

Cooked carrots - loved them raw, but mum cooked them to mush.

#3 cvbn

Posted 05 January 2020 - 10:21 AM

Brussel sprouts, I hated them.

Now, roasted in a salad with quinoa, cranberry and almonds I love them!

#4 CCABW

Posted 05 January 2020 - 10:22 AM

Roast dinners. Overcooked stringy meat and mushy vegetables. It’s actually delicious cooked properly!!!

#5 Mooples

Posted 05 January 2020 - 10:24 AM

Zucchini, way too mushy and lamb, dad likes it well done but dh has shown me the beauty of pink, moist lamb.

#6 Silverstreak

Posted 05 January 2020 - 10:24 AM

Not exactly, but my parents never served us Brussels sprouts, so I didn't know what to make of them when DH's family introduced me to them. Now I adore them, but DH doesn't like them! Love them steamed with a little butter.

Ooh actually yes, casseroles! My parents were pretty good cooks, but they'd do casseroles with chops left on the bone and potatoes that hadn't been peeled, so the skins would be floating in the gravy. Over the years I've learned to make casseroles where I remove any bones before serving and I peel all the vegetables. Much nicer!

#7 Silverstreak

Posted 05 January 2020 - 10:25 AM

And another one, now I'm remembering! Mash potato. My dad would make it with the skins still on, mashed with parsley and mayonnaise, so gross! Now I make it with peeled potatoes and mash with butter and cheese and sometimes some garlic, so delicious.

#8 EsmeLennox

Posted 05 January 2020 - 10:28 AM

Like others, Brussels sprouts come to mind. Any green vegetable, really, boiled until it turned grey in salted water.

#9 Riotproof

Posted 05 January 2020 - 10:30 AM

Rice. They boiled rice like pasta, so I thought Chinese fried rice was only edible because of all the stuff in it, not realizing they just actually knew how to cook it.

#10 LadyGreyTea

Posted 05 January 2020 - 10:31 AM

Also haunted by stinky tinned tuna sandwiches as a child, but I had fresh seared tuna at a Japanese restaurant and I've loved it since.

#11 MerryMadrigalMadge

Posted 05 January 2020 - 10:44 AM

Home made Bolognese- my parents version was mince and a bottle of crap pasta sauce. No onion or garlic, mince was still in grey lumps and it was so dull and boring.

Now, I'm always trying new versions and I love it. Cooked in the slow cooker, or in milk, or with different meats, vegetarian versions, etc. Bellissimo!

And yes, any green veggie.

#12 LadyGreyTea

Posted 05 January 2020 - 10:52 AM

I also wonder whether maturity plays a part, cause I absolutely adored silverbeet, zucchini, and spinach when I hit my teens.
Still don't care for cabbage but I love it as sauerkraut or made into Balkan or Middle Eastern style dolmades (cabbage rolls)

#13 RichardParker

Posted 05 January 2020 - 11:14 AM

Steak. I thought it was always grey and tough as leather, cooked in searing hot oil.

#14 sueratbag

Posted 05 January 2020 - 11:16 AM

Swede! Overcooked, it (and other brassicas like Brussels sprouts, broccoli, cabbage) are gross, and beautiful when just cooked.

I cook swede (steamed or roast)until it is just barely cooked. Beautiful - sweet, nutty, delicious. Cabbage (esp savoy) I steam for 60 seconds max, then toss with butter and black pepper. Brussels sprouts I briefly roast so the inside is just a little crunchy, and the outside just a little brown.

Pardon me for drooling.

Not mum's fault, though. Dad wouldn't eat anything that wasn't boiled to death, so that's how she cooked things.

#15 .Jerry.

Posted 05 January 2020 - 11:17 AM

Fish.
Though I am fussy.

I grew up on fish dad caught -the small ones, with lots of bones:  flathead, bream, whiting.  Not filleted all fancy like with the bones removed.
Hated fish as a kid.

When I was an adult I discovered soft, white-fleshed reef fish.  Yum!!!

#16 Expelliarmus

Posted 05 January 2020 - 11:24 AM

Pretty much everything! Fish, steak, vegetables - all overcooked and disgusting. Also no attention to herbs, spices, complementing flavours/textures and so forth. It was a big deal to learn how to cook something for just 2 minutes or just 5 minutes. Growing up you just cook it ALL for forever.

Edited by Expelliarmus, 05 January 2020 - 11:24 AM.

#17 BadCat

Posted 05 January 2020 - 11:26 AM

View PostRichardParker, on 05 January 2020 - 11:14 AM, said:

Steak. I thought it was always grey and tough as leather, cooked in searing hot oil.

:omg:

The notion of cooking steak in oil at all is blowing my mind.

But if you want a lesson in how to ruin steak, speak to my mother.  She would cook it direct from the freezer.  Frozen rump steak, straight into the electric frypan.  Usually two or three pieces on top of each other and they'd get pried apart as they warmed up.  Then they cooked until they were grey and leathery.  And despite all that, I never hated steak.

#18 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 05 January 2020 - 11:32 AM

Almost all vegetables, especially broccoli and Green beans.

And mangoes, mum didn’t like tropical fruits, so I missed out until I was an adult! I love mangoes.

I also missed out on whole cuisines, like Thai and Indian food, cause my parents couldn’t afford it, didn’t know how to cook it, and my brother had a peanut allergy. Now I can try them myself and my I love so many different foods after being a fussy eater as a child.

#19 Mishu

Posted 05 January 2020 - 11:33 AM

Brussel sprouts. I still can't bring myself to eat them. I know that when cooked properly, they are a far cry from my mother's over-boiled, bitter version but I just can't do it.

My mother is a good cook is so many other ways but there were a couple of glaring exceptions. Tinned peas and spam come to mind. But I should probably blame the 70's for that, not necessarily my mother.

#20 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 05 January 2020 - 11:38 AM

View PostLadyGreyTea, on 05 January 2020 - 10:52 AM, said:

I also wonder whether maturity plays a part, cause I absolutely adored silverbeet, zucchini, and spinach when I hit my teens.
Still don't care for cabbage but I love it as sauerkraut or made into Balkan or Middle Eastern style dolmades (cabbage rolls)

Yes, as we get older our taste gets less sensitive and we start being more tolerant of bitter and sour things.

#21 Sancti-claws

Posted 05 January 2020 - 11:42 AM

My mother was taught to cook by AWW, so to be fair I am laying the blame at their feet rather than hers for the Cabbage Rolls she presented to us in our childhood.  It was an experiment only attempted once, and caused a food strike amongst her children.

30 years later, my mother outlaw served up Sarma (Croatian cabbage rolls) - oh my, AWW did a huge disservice there.

#22 lizzzard

Posted 05 January 2020 - 11:45 AM

Brussel sprouts!! My mum hated them and never cooked or ate them so I was amazed when I tried them as an adult and loved them. They’re now one one my favourite foods!

#23 FeralZombieMum

Posted 05 January 2020 - 12:13 PM

View PostMerryMadrigalMadge, on 05 January 2020 - 10:44 AM, said:

Home made Bolognese- my parents version was mince and a bottle of crap pasta sauce. No onion or garlic, mince was still in grey lumps and it was so dull and boring.

Mine used heinz canned tomato soup with mince, but onion was used.

#24 IamtheMumma

Posted 05 January 2020 - 12:16 PM

To be fair to my mum, it was early 80s. She learnt to cook early in the late 60s and early 70s. AWW featured heavily in those days. We lived in a town that was a dot on the map. Nothing grew in the ground. Nearest supermarket was 90 minutes away so everything was bought and frozen in the deep freeze. That thing was huge. I remember Dad was so hot one day, he climbed in and I had to hold the lid slightly open. Gee he had trust in me. My kids would have gotten distracted and wandered off.

Any vegetable was boiled till its colour ran out except potato and pumpkin. I hated pumpkin until I roasted it one day when the kids asked me to make pumpkin soup and I googled recipes. Turns out I like roast pumpkin and make awesome pumpkin soup. My mum used to roast pumpkin (her roast potatoes are the stuff of legend) but because she boiled it so often, I refused to eat the roasted pumpkin. I still don't like boil potato. It was the same with sweet potato. I refused to try it as a kid. Now I could eat my body weight in it roasted.

Meat cooked until it could be fashioned into shoes or a belt. I remember sawing through "bbq steak". I don't know what bbq steak is but its as tough as canvas. I used to cover it in sauce to hide the taste and try to soften the texture.

I still hate tinned peas and corn.

As an adult, my cooking style is so different from my mum's. She's a meat and 3 vege (still boils potato and pumpkin) type person. My style is heavily influenced by Asia. You will never find an iceberg lettuce (the only lettuce grown when I was a child) in my house. It tastes like poison.

#25 eigne

Posted 05 January 2020 - 12:18 PM

Soup. Mum only made vegetable soup with home made stock. Teeny bits of meat floating around from whatever was left on the bone - not much of it. Large lumps of vegetables with skin on that had been boiled to death and all tasted the same. Bleugh.

I make excellent soup 👍🏻

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.