Glandular fever

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#26 LenaK

Posted 09 January 2020 - 12:12 AM

I had glandular fever in 2018/2019. My GP was really surprised because it's uncommon at my age - usually a teenager/early 20s thing.

There is no cure or shortcut. I did take a multi vitamin with extra vitamin B supplement which I think helped slightly. And I slept. Alot. Sometimes as much as 16 hours a day for the first five months.  

The utter exhaustion was the worst in the first five months where literally everything I did had a price to pay.  Even dropping the kids at school required me to take an hour nap as soon as I got home.  I genuinely felt during the period that I might not ever recover. The good news is - I did.  Just slowly.

Somewhere around the six month mark I noticed an improvement in my energy levels. I woke up without a sore throat. I got excited and went for a bike ride. huge mistake. Back to bed for another month.

You really need to listen to your body and rest. I know it's almost impossible to do but you if you don't you run the risk of chronic fatigue. And when you do start to feel better - build up  slowly. One good day doesn't necessarily mean you are cured.

Glandular fever can cause depression, especially in the long term, so be aware of how you are feeling, talk it out and seek help.  

Drink plenty of water and no alcohol.

I tried to treat it a little bit like a forced hibernation. Get some books and movies and accept you will probably fall asleep reading them. Ignore everything that is not fundamentally essential.

#27 gracie1978

Posted 09 January 2020 - 01:03 AM

Please take as much leave as you can, rest is so important.

Also be kind to yourself.

We had our bedrooms downstairs and our laundry upstairs.  I remember crying at the bottom of the stairs because stripping the bed had wrecked me and I couldn't get myself and the sheets to the laundry and I couldn't remake my bed.

I really hope you're at the tail end of it.

#28 born.a.girl

Posted 09 January 2020 - 06:41 AM

PP's comments have reminded me that when our daughter was at her worst (in bed most of the day) we had to put a few chairs along her route to the toilet, which was no more than about fifteen steps.

You really don't want to end up relapsing and being that bad.

#29 *melrose*

Posted 09 January 2020 - 11:32 AM

Yes I have not been at work for 2 days now and it's the first time in around 6 months that I have rested on the lounge😁and it's been lovely. No high Temps in 2 days which has been fantastic, I have had high Temps every day for almost 6 months not knowing what's going on. But the sore throat yesterday and the this morning wasso sore that's all I can say, it's like a bad achy feeling.

#30 *melrose*

Posted 17 January 2020 - 08:38 PM

Did any one have a really sore throat with glandular fever? Mine is killing me with a lump feeling in it, it's been like this for months off and on😔I'm so over it.

#31 PrincessPeach

Posted 17 January 2020 - 08:45 PM

Yes - that was my first symptom & the lump in it.

#32 MooGuru

Posted 17 January 2020 - 09:48 PM

Yeah I had a swollen red raw throat for 3-4 months. It sucked.

#33 *melrose*

Posted 17 January 2020 - 09:55 PM

Arrghh I just want it to go away... I feel it's going to take months to get over this. I have been resting as much as I can.

#34 LenaK

Posted 17 January 2020 - 10:26 PM

It's awful and extremely frustrating, especially when it just keeps going.

Get some good quality honey and eat a teaspoon in the mornings. Drink tea with lemon and honey.

Avoid plain water - especially cold. As much as I hate adding sweetener to my water, my GP said water is actually drying and sugar helps line the throat and prevent it from drying out. Not alot - just a tiny bit or cordial or honey.

Sleep. Rest and Sleep some more.

With Glandular fever you are playing the long game. Be patient and gentle with yourself.

#35 flakyfish

Posted 18 January 2020 - 10:06 AM

I had GF last year - it took over two months to be diagnosed, and I was then off work for two months, and continued to feel terrible for another two or three months. I've recently had a persistent sore throat and am feeling very tired and I'm terrified it's come back.

Rest, rest, rest, but try and do small bits of activity through the day, like just a few minutes of light walking, as being immobile can exacerbate the depression.

I found the Swisse immune boost vitamins helpful - it's got a high dose of vitamin C as well as zinc and olive leaf extract. Anti-depressants can also be helpful.

#36 quartz85

Posted 19 January 2020 - 08:09 AM

Serious consider trying traditional Chinese medicine. I don't trust that TCM does everything it claims for every illness under the sun, but I've seen some fantastic results for treating glandular fever.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.