Vietnam when pregnant?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Purple Polka Dots

Posted 06 January 2020 - 06:22 PM

Hi all

I am looking for peoples advice or experience when it comes to travelling to Vietnam when pregnant.

I would be about 23 weeks when we were looking at going.

It would be a week in Hoi An, and not travelling around etc.

I’m a bit torn- I really want to go (family from Ireland will be there and the family from Australia are flying to meet them) but also don’t want to take any big risks.

My main concern when first thinking about it was zika, but it looks like Vietnam has the same risk factor as travel to France or the USA.

I suppose people in Vietnam get pregnant?!

I’ve been to Vietnam a few times before, so know what to expect with food and culture etc. I know. Bahn Mi will be out 🙁 but being Hoi An, I could stick to restaurants/hotel for food?

We would also have our 3yr old with us.

I will obviously discuss with my dr, I just wanted to hear some more thoughts.

#2 littlepickle

Posted 06 January 2020 - 06:42 PM

I love Vietnam and we will be back there in April for our third trip- before you look any further it may be worth investigating what type (if any) travel insurance you are able to get. Would they cover you in the following:
Pre term labour requiring transfer to either home or Singapore?
You would likely be able to access a large maternity hospital in HCM or Hanoi but not sure what would be available in Danang if needed.
Good luck

#3 blackcat20

Posted 06 January 2020 - 07:00 PM

I did Malaysia when 17 weeks pregnant. Was just careful with food selection, only drank bottled water etc. Most travel insurance will cover you but not the baby if it arrives early. I suggest looking at the options available.

#4 AllyK81

Posted 06 January 2020 - 07:07 PM

I went when I was pregnant and it was fine. Stayed in 5 star hotels and ate in them. It was a bit sad though because I would have rather had street food!

You will be fine if you have been before and know what to expect. Just make sure your insurance covers what you need.

#5 eachschoolholidays

Posted 06 January 2020 - 07:46 PM

I would go. (We’ve been to Hoi An many times.) I would carefully check my travel insurance though.

#6 zeldazonk

Posted 06 January 2020 - 07:54 PM

I had a trip to Hoi An last year at 21 weeks pregnant and had a great time! I didn't get a single mozzie bite and didn't get sick. I was sensible about what I ate (no Banh Mi this time!) and was careful about water etc. I also made sure I was covered by travel insurance. My OB was very happy for me to go.

#7 kerilyntaryn

Posted 06 January 2020 - 08:34 PM

Make sure you have a letter from your doctor if you are taking any prescription medication and also vitamins etc and up to date.

There are risks involved if travelling to Vietnam while pregnant. These risks include the recommended vaccinations for travelling to Vietnam since some of the vaccinations are unsafe for pregnant women. Medications to treat food poisoning, which all travellers are at a high risk of getting in Vietnam, are also unsafe for pregnant women.
Private and foreign medical facilities are available in Ho Chi Minh, Hanoi, Vu Tang and Da Nang, and while they are better facilities than you can find elsewhere in the country, they may not be up to Western standards. Outside of the major cities, medical facilities are poor and evacuation costs are high.
Zika is an ongoing concern in Vietnam and pregnant women are encouraged to avoid any unnecessary travel to Vietnam.
Always consult a doctor before travelling while pregnant and check your travel insurance policy to see how far along in the pregnancy you can be and still have cover.

#8 Bereckii

Posted 06 January 2020 - 09:33 PM

A lot of good advice upthread.

You might find this useful too.

https://www.smartrav...ns/asia/vietnam

This is worth repeating:

View Postkerilyntaryn, on 06 January 2020 - 08:34 PM, said:

...Private and foreign medical facilities are available in Ho Chi Minh, Hanoi, Vu Tang and Da Nang, and while they are better facilities than you can find elsewhere in the country, they may not be up to Western standards. Outside of the major cities, medical facilities are poor and evacuation costs are high...

As many PP's said, make sure you are comfortable with your travel insurance and its cover for pregnancy. I understand the cover would be for you only (not baby) (I can't remember if you said how far along you are)

#9 2bundles

Posted 08 January 2020 - 05:44 AM

We had friends who lived in Vietnam. They got evacuated to either Thailand or Singapore for anything medical.

I wouldn’t be overly keen at 23 weeks, but can appreciate you want to see family. Given it’s not your first, I would prob go if I was happy with my travel insurance policy.

#10 kim27

Posted 16 January 2020 - 05:52 PM

Not a chance.

Every now and again you read about a woman who goes into very early labour overseas and the baby manages to survive. Often the travel insurance covers the mother but not the baby so of course they are left with horrendous bills on top of being stuck overseas for weeks or months until baby is able to travel. Of course that’s assuming the hospitals there can even deal with such premature baby.

It’s just not worth it.

#11 Ivy Ivy

Posted 16 January 2020 - 06:48 PM

I wouldn't personally.  I'm super careful though.

Do you know whether any vaccinations are needed and how much these have been researched re safety in pregnancy?  Are anti-malarials needed?

#12 Fabulous

Posted 17 January 2020 - 11:30 AM

I love Vietnam. However I wouldn't go at 23 weeks as I don't believe you will find a travel insurance company that will cover the baby should you go into pre term labour. They normally only cover the mother.

#13 Let-it-go

Posted 17 January 2020 - 12:12 PM

I went at 10 weeks pregnant.  Was perfectly fine, I was just tired and wished I could drink beer.  

I’m a non fussed traveller though.  I recall eating pretty much everything too.  Hoi An was easy as the food was so good.  I think Hanoi was harder.

#14 timtam92

Posted 17 January 2020 - 09:16 PM

No.

#15 Luci

Posted 17 January 2020 - 09:46 PM

I can understand you wanting to go and see your family, and it is only for a week. However I think for me it would be a reluctant no. If there were any pregnancy related complications or you went into early Labour it would really be terrible.  Obviously not very likely to happen but it’s not a risk I would be prepared to take.

#16 countrychic29

Posted 17 January 2020 - 09:47 PM

Personally no I wouldn’t, have been to VN a bit but not when PG.
I don’t believe it’s the food to worry about etc, but if you went into pre term labour the difference between waiting for a flight to Singapore etc and not means too much

Honestly last year we were there with 2 very sick children then I got sick and we put off going to the hospitals and we luckily got better.
My brother lives there and still comes home for any treatment beyond a GP visit

#17 born.a.girl

Posted 18 January 2020 - 07:55 AM

View PostLet-it-go, on 17 January 2020 - 12:12 PM, said:

I went at 10 weeks pregnant.  Was perfectly fine, I was just tired and wished I could drink beer.  

I’m a non fussed traveller though.  I recall eating pretty much everything too.  Hoi An was easy as the food was so good.  I think Hanoi was harder.

Would you go at survivability stage, though?

The only insurance/concern needed at 10 weeks is for the mother.

A premature baby at the fringes of survivability would be my concern. The out of pocket costs for the baby, needing intensive and extensive intervention, plus your own accommodation costs until the baby's well enough to travel commercially.

#18 Bereckii

Posted 18 January 2020 - 09:23 AM

View Postborn.a.girl, on 18 January 2020 - 07:55 AM, said:

A premature baby at the fringes of survivability would be my concern. The out of pocket costs for the baby, needing intensive and extensive intervention, plus your own accommodation costs until the baby's well enough to travel commercially.

Yes. The costs in this scenario would be very very high.

Expecting the same level of facilities as those available in Australia might also not be realistic. In the case of premature birth there could be greater risk simply because the facilities might not be at the same standard as those we would hope to be able to access in Asutralia.

Edited by Bereckii, 18 January 2020 - 09:29 AM.

#19 Apageintime

Posted 18 January 2020 - 03:54 PM

I traveled to Brazil at that gestation and was able to get travel insurance with Lloyds. No issues.

I would go. It'll be a lovely break.

#20 PrincessPeach

Posted 18 January 2020 - 04:25 PM

View Postborn.a.girl, on 18 January 2020 - 07:55 AM, said:

The bigger question is does vietnam even have the facilities to allow a baby born at 23 weeks gestation to survive - even here in Australia you need to have access to a tertiary level hospital for that to happen.

#21 kidwrangler

Posted 18 January 2020 - 05:11 PM

My feedback would be to warn if you happen to be Rh- then there is the risk of not being able to access blood or blood products if you need them. As there is a much lower % of negative blood types in the populations of SE Asia.

#22 born.a.girl

Posted 18 January 2020 - 07:04 PM

View PostPrincessPeach, on 18 January 2020 - 04:25 PM, said:

The bigger question is does vietnam even have the facilities to allow a baby born at 23 weeks gestation to survive - even here in Australia you need to have access to a tertiary level hospital for that to happen.

True, but if she's going at 23 weeks, she'd be 24 weeks at the end, and it why I suggested 'on the fringes of survivability'.

If the baby did survive, you'd want them medically repatriated pronto, and I can't imagine that comes at less than $100,000.

(I haven't the vaguest idea of costs, it's a wild guess.)

Of course if push comes to shove, you do what you have to do, but given it's a holiday, it's an avoidable risk.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.