Doubts about 10 week old baby name HELP

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#26 little lion

Posted 08 January 2020 - 08:50 PM

I would just leave her name as Sophie and use Mia as a nickname. They’re equally nice names.

With my first son I remember feeling weird calling him his name. I didn’t regret the name choice and didn’t long for the second on the list name. But it took us many weeks to stop using his in utero name. Unlike Mia, which is an actual name, ours was not. It made things easier as I wasn’t tied up worrying should we have named him that.

That was Dragon.

#27 Crazyhouseholdof6

Posted 08 January 2020 - 09:33 PM

My DD is called Sophie officially but everyone calls her Soph. PP is correct where we live that despite it being a popular name she is the only one in her grade at a big school, There’s definitely more Sophia’s around.
We chose it as it’s feminine and suits both a child and an adult and she suited it from the moment she was born.
I’m biased but it is a gorgeous name :)

#28 kerilyntaryn

Posted 08 January 2020 - 10:01 PM

Mia is ok,  put Sophie is so much nicer and no not as popular as Sophie.  My daughter is Amy and our 2nd name choice is Sophie.  Love the name.  Such a classic name.  I think Daisy wouldnt go too well with Sophie,  such a difference

#29 Gudrun

Posted 08 January 2020 - 10:44 PM

1. This name anguish thing is quite common

2. All the names you are mentioning are equally lovely IMO. She's only one baby; she can't be all of them

3. Vic 2018 list published today: Mia 4th, Sophie 14th, Sophia 25th, Daisy 40th (fyi but who cares, really?)

4. I would expect you to anguish over the name no matter which you went with.  So don't change it because you will then be on a never-ending merry-go-round

5. i love the idea of a Sophie and Daisy sibset

6. I'd have to write books to use all the names I love and even that wouldn't do it. Just sayin'

7. If the combo nags you forever, I'd change the surname long before I would think of touching the given name

8. Before you know it Sophie will have her own opinions and will not want you messing with her name

#30 Kreme

Posted 08 January 2020 - 10:50 PM

Just from my kids’ primary school (with 900+ kids) there are so many Mias but I only know a couple of Sophies.

I don’t know why, but Mia is one of those names I can’t get to stick in my head and I always think they are called Ava, and vice versa.

So needless to say I much prefer Sophie, it’s a beautiful classic name. And I think Daisy would be fine as a future sibling. But your tastes might change again. We had a definite boys name picked out for DD but chose a different name when DS was born less than 2 years later.

#31 CG123

Posted 08 January 2020 - 11:03 PM

Go with the name you love the most...

Edited by CG123, 08 January 2020 - 11:03 PM.

#32 gracie1978

Posted 09 January 2020 - 01:59 AM

Omg Sophie is the best name, DP vetoed it, but it was one of my top picks.

Don't know why, but could never warm to Mia.

#33 Bigbaubles

Posted 09 January 2020 - 05:17 AM

Sophie or Sophia is much nicer than Mia. I've never liked all the Mia/Maya/Myah variants much..

#34 majirlo

Posted 09 January 2020 - 05:18 AM

Sophie is a beautiful classic and I much prefer it to Mia.

When you said your husband saw her and said she looked like a Sophie and you agreed, I'd trust in that.

We had our hearts set on a name for our first daughter and it was, and still is, absolutely perfect for her, in looks and personalty (similar in style to Sophie). For our second daughter we honestly had nothing. We tossed around so many names but couldn't settle on anything. After she was born, on day 3, her name just came to me. It wasn't a name we had even considered, ever thought about or mentioned. No idea where it came from and tbh, not one I was sure about for a long time. She has only ever been known by the short, one syllable part of her name and that is what suits her sunny, energetic personality perfectly. Somehow,I think they end up with the name they are meant to have.

Love Sophie and Daisy together!

#35 Sancti-claws

Posted 09 January 2020 - 06:08 AM

View Postlittle lion, on 08 January 2020 - 08:50 PM, said:

I would just leave her name as Sophie and use Mia as a nickname. They’re equally nice names.

With my first son I remember feeling weird calling him his name. I didn’t regret the name choice and didn’t long for the second on the list name. But it took us many weeks to stop using his in utero name. Unlike Mia, which is an actual name, ours was not. It made things easier as I wasn’t tied up worrying should we have named him that.

That was Dragon.
Dragan is however a name - I offered it to a friend who had a flower name girl and a rock name girl as a suggestion for the third so that she could have vegetable, mineral and animal all ticked (it takes a certain sense of humour - luckily she shares it)

#36 montycarlo

Posted 02 February 2020 - 08:17 AM

My daughter is 15 and her name is Sophie.i adore the name and it absolutely suits her and always has. Sophia has a more Italian vibe to me personally, it's still beautiful but I love Sophie more. You've picked a beautiful name imo.

#37 MadMarchMasterchef

Posted 02 February 2020 - 08:47 AM

I think Sophie and Sophia are close enough that you could refer to your child by your preferred name as a nickname and people wouldn't think it too strange.  For example I know an Elizabeth whose friends call her Liz but her Mum calls her Libby.

#38 MrsWidget

Posted 02 February 2020 - 11:19 AM

I’m a Sophie and I love the name. I’m 49 so it was very uncommon when I was younger but even now I come across Sophia/Sofia more that Sophie. Mia I see everywhere.

#39 Doral

Posted 02 February 2020 - 06:08 PM

Thank you all so much for your replies. I do love the name Sophie and I’m very very happy we decided on Sophie instead of Sophia.

For some reason though I still think about her name at least once a day and wonder if we made the right decision (should we have chosen something completely different/did we think hard enough about her name/is Sophie boring/would I have chosen Sophie if I wasn’t worried about the surname thing throughout my pregnancy etc). Is this weird? Will it just take time? Never thought I would experience this so it has been hard!

#40 Jingleflea

Posted 02 February 2020 - 07:01 PM

I think as she grows and develops her own personality you'll be come more accepting of it.

I wanted Daisy but Dh said no, we both liked Sophie but had a Sophie AND a Sophia in the family already, I liked Emily but we had an Emma and a lily...
So Samantha it was lol.

And now at nearly 10 she tells me she loves her name(and she's the only one at school!).  Heaps of Mias though.

#41 Sancti-claws

Posted 03 February 2020 - 05:44 AM

View PostMrsWidget, on 02 February 2020 - 11:19 AM, said:

I’m a Sophie and I love the name. I’m 49 so it was very uncommon when I was younger but even now I come across Sophia/Sofia more that Sophie. Mia I see everywhere.
Snap MrsW - and now I wonder if you are the ONE Sophie that I went to school with!!

#42 MrsWidget

Posted 03 February 2020 - 09:16 AM

View PostSancti-claws, on 03 February 2020 - 05:44 AM, said:

Snap MrsW - and now I wonder if you are the ONE Sophie that I went to school with!!

Wow I went to school with ONE Sophie too. Melbourne, VCE 1988??

#43 Sancti-claws

Posted 03 February 2020 - 08:07 PM

Nope. Rockhampton Senior of 1986!

#44 justbreath

Posted 03 February 2020 - 08:24 PM

View PostDoral, on 02 February 2020 - 06:08 PM, said:

Thank you all so much for your replies. I do love the name Sophie and I’m very very happy we decided on Sophie instead of Sophia.

For some reason though I still think about her name at least once a day and wonder if we made the right decision (should we have chosen something completely different/did we think hard enough about her name/is Sophie boring/would I have chosen Sophie if I wasn’t worried about the surname thing throughout my pregnancy etc). Is this weird? Will it just take time? Never thought I would experience this so it has been hard!

It’s not weird. I did the same thing with my middle child. I felt like his name was somehow “wrong” for quite a while. Now at 6 I feel like his name suits him far better than either of my other kids names suit them. I can’t imagine him ever being called anything else and whenever I tell people his name I am often told that he really looks like a *insert name*!

#45 YodaTheWrinkledOne

Posted 04 February 2020 - 09:52 PM

View Postkerilyntaryn, on 07 January 2020 - 11:05 PM, said:

Sophia/Sophie are both great names.  I wouldnt worry about the ending,  If you love it so much more, I'd keep with Sophie
totally this.

You love it, your DH loves it, you think it suits your daughter - Sophie sounds like a great name to me!

#46 8LittleAustralians

Posted 12 February 2020 - 11:29 AM

I had 5 pregnancies (losses) before my daughter was born and her name was never discussed or listed in our initial name discussions then. Nor was it ever considered for any of our other children.

My daughter was born just shy of 2 weeks ago. We only ever had 1 name option for her, announced it at a party (I'd said I'd tell if someone guessed it thinking no one ever would, they had 1 guess each and a 9 year old girl got it).

Still didn't stop me questioning it once she was born and for a few days afterwards. It's really only been in the few days it's felt normal to call her by name.

Edited by 8LittleAustralians, 12 February 2020 - 11:30 AM.

#47 Questionable13

Posted 12 February 2020 - 03:58 PM

It certainly is a hard position to be in!

I think if it doesn't sit well with you still, then it's not too late to change her name.  
I do know a lady who had her heart set on Jack* all through her pregnancy. At the last minute she decided on William* and announced her baby as William. A few months later, she reannounced his name as Jack William (*name changed for confidentiality!).

I was never sure about our second babies name. It's unique and we decided on it right when she was born. It took me weeks to call her by her actual name (rather than 'baby' or a nickname). However now it suits her perfectly and she has grown into her name.

#48 Doral

Posted 12 February 2020 - 08:24 PM

My problem is that I don’t want to have to change her name. I don’t want the embarrassment and questions and I’m worried I would then regret changing it as she is already 3.5 months old now and it does suit her. Also my husband is not interested in changing it at all.

I just don’t know how to stop feeling this way. It’s still constantly on my mind and I don’t know if I’ll ever feel right about it. There’s also other names that I wish I would have used but it just feels too late. That sounds dramatic but I feel stuck and like I just need to give it time for her to grow into her name like so many of you have said. I just feel sad that I may never have another girl to name and then I start thinking I’m going insane lol

#49 kerilyntaryn

Posted 12 February 2020 - 08:54 PM

Its not too late,  many babies dont have a name at 6 months,  I know one only got there name just in time for their first birthday

If you like it and it suits her.  Keep the name.  Its a beautiful name

#50 Bigbaubles

Posted 13 February 2020 - 08:26 AM

View PostDoral, on 12 February 2020 - 08:24 PM, said:

My problem is that I don’t want to have to change her name. I don’t want the embarrassment and questions and I’m worried I would then regret changing it as she is already 3.5 months old now and it does suit her. Also my husband is not interested in changing it at all.

I just don’t know how to stop feeling this way. It’s still constantly on my mind and I don’t know if I’ll ever feel right about it. There’s also other names that I wish I would have used but it just feels too late. That sounds dramatic but I feel stuck and like I just need to give it time for her to grow into her name like so many of you have said. I just feel sad that I may never have another girl to name and then I start thinking I’m going insane lol

It took me months and months to get used to my daughters name. It's quite long and unusual and we got quite a few funny comments/looks on it. I really wasn't sure, and it felt funny saying her name. It probably took me 6-12 months to really let it sit and now I love it. She's 3 and I think it's perfect.
Second daughter, another long unusual name, but I was happy with it straight away because I knew she would grow into it and I was more confident with our choices.

The other fun thing is when they get old enough to say their name and come up with their own nicknames etc. my eldest came up with a really quirky nickname for herself at 18 months, and it's stuck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.