Dog desensitization

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 MeThree

Posted 08 January 2020 - 08:01 PM

We have a lovely dogue de bordeaux cross bull mastiff girl who is just about 2. To cut a long story short, after trying everything else suggested over the last 18 months plus with no joy, today she went in for sedation and the doggy version of allergy scratch testing. Out of 70 environmental triggers tested, she reacted to 32. We have decided to try desensitization therapy. An injection is made up of the 11 strong reactions (each one was rated a 1, 2 or 3) and she'll have a needle every 6 to 8 months for around 2 years, then see where she's at. It wasn't cheap, but neither is her medication, special food, and constant treating of ear infections. Food wasn't even the problem!

Anyone with any experience they can share? I'm trying to be hopeful. I'm sure my big girl would love to finally be itch free :)

#2 seemingly

Posted 08 January 2020 - 08:07 PM

I haven't got any experience with this, but could you share more? I hope the treatment works for her.

#3 MeThree

Posted 09 January 2020 - 03:36 PM

Sure, what would you like to know? And thank you, I hope it works too :)

#4 kadoodle

Posted 10 January 2020 - 02:54 AM

We did the human version with DH, and it was a hassle but worth it in the end. I’m sure dogs are more cooperative and complain less than men, though.

#5 MeThree

Posted 11 January 2020 - 06:10 PM

Haha I am assuming she will complain less than a male would! I can't wait for it to start :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.