Vasectomy Reversal

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 kMn_065

Posted 08 January 2020 - 09:15 PM

Hello!

I'm after any stories about vasectomy reversals. Anything!

My story:
We have 2 babes, DD 7yo and DS 4yo. My DH had the snip after quite a few 'scares' since DS (scares for him, not me). As soon as he walked out of the room my stomach hit the floor as I realised I actually really wasnt done having babies 😭
It has been a terrible year for us since, many arguments, depression and on the brink of separating. We have worked hard together recently and he has finally agreed to have it reversed (!!!) While I am over the moooooon, I am still really sad about whats happened over the last year, and terrified that he is going to change his mind in the time it takes to save up to have it done.

So anyway, thats my story. Im hoping for some stories about this. Positive tests, negative tests, time taken to conceive. Anything about the procedure and recovery. Cost involved would be good too. (We dont have private health) Also, if anyone happens to be in/near Melbourne and could tell me where to start looking, that would be brilliant.
💕💕💕

#2 *Arcadia*

Posted 08 January 2020 - 09:52 PM

Can’t help with the cost but my cousin had a reversal after marrying his 2nd wife and they have had 3 kids together since. Their first child together was conceived first try and the other 2 were pretty quick as well.

#3 Oriental lily

Posted 08 January 2020 - 10:03 PM

I think you need to measure cost and success ( method and length of time since done are big factors ) plus your age versus the success rate of Other fertility interventions like IVF.

of course there is bigger health ramifications for you if you pursue IVF .

its tough and success is not guaranteed and might put strain on a already fragile relationship .

#4 Prancer is coming

Posted 08 January 2020 - 10:13 PM

I have a friend who repartnered with a guy who had already had a vasectomy.  For them, they were were told IVF was more successful than a reversal.  They had 3 babies, first 2 were quite easy and third one they had a miscarriage before becoming pregnant.

I too would want my relationship quite solid, particularly if needing to do down the IVF route as it can be quite stressful.

#5 Sarah_434

Posted 09 January 2020 - 08:38 AM

I’ve sent you a PM because I didn’t see this thread.

but for the benefit of anyone else in the same position (because I was trawling forms looking for the same advice)

My DH had his reversal in November, we’ve had one cycle TTC so far, currently on 2nd.

The recovery is painful, but once stitches were out normal function resumed almost straight away. He was snipped more than 10 years ago, so chances were on the lower side. We do know the flow has returned, waiting on test for the count.

we choose the clinic route, under sedation and local which was cheaper, $3k (NZD). It would have been $9k via a urologist and using general. We researched the doctor and his success rates before making the decision.

#6 bearosauraus

Posted 09 January 2020 - 10:05 AM

My BIL had a vasectomy after 2 then they decided to go back for another.  Their research led them to choosing IVF rather than a reversal.

eta: it took them 3 cycles (and everything else involved with that, ie egg collection etc etc)

Edited by bearosauraus, 09 January 2020 - 10:05 AM.

#7 born.a.girl

Posted 09 January 2020 - 11:11 AM

Only one I know of wasn't successful. She was late thirties, he was early forties. Vasectomy done nearly ten years earlier.

Low sperm count afterwards, plus she was earlier to menopause than siblings, so probably a double whammy.

This was 30 years ago, early days of IVF, a route they chose not to take (both had kids separately).

#8 Holidayromp

Posted 29 January 2020 - 09:44 AM

I would be sitting on it for now.  Given your circumstances having a new baby could be the end.
If you are having doubts whether or not he will change his mind then your gut may be telling you something. Even ttcing again could put a strain on things.
Have you considered what your thoughts would be should he change his mind?  Is this something you are prepared to quite possibly lose your relationship over?
Isn’t it best to stay status quo for now and work on strengthening your relationship without adding a very real stressor to it.

#9 AuntyJJJ

Posted 01 February 2020 - 12:41 PM

Where was the communication before the vasectomy?

What are the reasons your husband is willing to reverse something that is not always easily reversed?

I have kind of similar story in that after out second baby I strongly desired DH get vasectomy mostly due to  my health, caecttions, and DS at age 2 was still so difficult

At the time I said if we change our mind we will do IVF, and I considered this a strong possibility. I know it sounds strange but I figured also if I was 40 and wanting another baby IVF was probably a good idea anyway.

6 years on and indeed we are doing IVF. There are bulk billing clinics - it’s not expensive. Just completed first cycle and for myself and for my family it’s the good choice, increases our chance of a baby and no problem or stress with tricky operation for DH. It’s been good so far, we have 13 embryo frozen ready to be transferred

#10 8LittleAustralians

Posted 11 February 2020 - 04:53 PM

My husband had a vasectomy in 2010 and reversal in 2015, it initially 'worked' but then fell apart. That was done locally with a urologist as day surgery.

We looked into IVF but decided to try a second vasectomy reversal in 2017. DH went with Dr Woolcott in Sydney, however I hear he has since retired. He recommends a few doctors he's worked with.

Initially his results were fantastic and I fell pregnant with in a couple of months. Unfortunately I ended up having unexplained recurrent miscarriages. DH's count also became less and less over time until he was diagnosed with severe ogliospermia. We were referred to try IUI or IVF. Waiting for the appointment, DH tried everything to get his count up, managed to improve it to mild ogliospermia and had a massive improvement on motility to 95%. At our first appointment, I was already pregnant.

Managed to figure out the recurrent miscarriage thing also and finally had our post vasectomy reversal baby a few days ago.

Was about $5k each time, got some of that back from medicare. We have private health insurance though.

Recovery wasn't too bad, but I'd recommend at least a week off work. My DH went back to work after 3 days for the first one and we wonder if that is what made it not work. The next time around he rested for a week.

Edited by 8LittleAustralians, 11 February 2020 - 04:54 PM.

#11 Dadto2

Posted 11 February 2020 - 05:01 PM

I was told my vasectomy could be revered, but success rate was about 30 - 40%.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.