Prince Harry and Meghan Markle split from the royal family

• Please log in to reply
1021 replies to this topic

#1 No Drama Please

Posted 09 January 2020 - 06:26 AM

I didn’t know this was an option. Admittedly I don’t know much about how succession works but who takes Harry’s place if something happens to William and his family?

https://www.smh.com....109-p53pyx.html

#2 IamzFeralz

Posted 09 January 2020 - 06:30 AM

My understanding is that they are no longer “senior” royals and will take a back seat from engagements etc and financially support themselves.  This isn’t some formal abdication from succession to the throne.

Edited to add - I don’t blame them after the way the press has treated them and wish them well in their lives.

Edited by IamzFeralz, 09 January 2020 - 06:31 AM.

#3 No Drama Please

Posted 09 January 2020 - 06:37 AM

So you live a separate life while everything is normal but if something major happened you’d still take over, that makes sense.

#4 PooksLikeChristmas

Posted 09 January 2020 - 06:44 AM

Good on them and good luck to them.

#5 Mishu

Posted 09 January 2020 - 06:46 AM

This aligns with Charles’ desire to slim down the monarchy. They really don’t have a role to play with William and George waiting in line. It makes sense and will be great for them. Also points to how modern the Royal Family is trying to become and how they are trying to change their image -being financially independent  will be a key message.

But staunch royalists will blame Meghan for this. Never mind that Harry would be an equal if not more of a driving force behind the change. For the first time, Harry might have a chance to have a normal-ish life. He deserves that, after everything he’s been through as a child losing his mother. But Meghan will still be blamed. Good thing they will be based in Canada for a lot of the time -away from the intrusive media.

#6 SplashingRainbows

Posted 09 January 2020 - 06:57 AM

If something happens to both Charles and William then George will be next in line, then Charlotte, then Louis.

It’s only 12 or so years until George is 18.

I wish them both well. I’m sad for them that they’ve had to do this though. I’m glad Elizabeth is still around to give her blessing or I think people would hold that over them, unfairly.

#7 Lunagirl

Posted 09 January 2020 - 06:59 AM

Has Elizabeth given her blessing though? The response from the Palace was terse.

#8 No Drama Please

Posted 09 January 2020 - 07:00 AM

Yes because the alternative I suppose is you’d be expected to just sit around waiting and waiting for something that hopefully never happens. Your whole life and potential is gone. The same for your kids I expect, you’re lining them up for the same kind of situation, permanent limbo. So I’d guess you’d have a lot more control on what decisions you’d make than you would otherwise.

#9 ~Jolly_F~

Posted 09 January 2020 - 07:00 AM

Interestingly they trademarked the name Sussex Royal last month, so they obviously still plan to use their connections.

But if this is what will make them happy then good on them.

It fits with the plan Charles has to slim line the royal family.

ETA I am sick of reading that Harry confirmed rumours of the rift by saying he and William were on different paths - that confirms absolutely nothing.

Edited by ~Jolly_F~, 09 January 2020 - 07:08 AM.

#10 Caribou

Posted 09 January 2020 - 07:01 AM

I think they’re doing the best thing possible for themselves. The media has been absolutely vicious towards them and unfair too.

I wish them all the best of luck. I think they’ll be much happier. And I am sure Harry wanted to step back at some point and he finally has an opportunity to do so.

#11 Hands Up

Posted 09 January 2020 - 07:06 AM

I think it’s a good thing, but I’ll be interested to see what being financially independent really means.

#12 purpleduck

Posted 09 January 2020 - 07:09 AM

More gossip :ninja: I do wonder how much or if any of this is true. I’m all for people living their own lives. There are different ways of achieving this though. Either way, it’s not an easy life.
https://blindgossip.com/the-big-plan/

#13 Sancti-claws

Posted 09 January 2020 - 07:11 AM

Good on them.

I think with a few bequests that he has received over the past few years, he would be independently wealthy anyway and it is a superior option to those of royal brothers in centuries past.

#14 Bethlehem Babe

Posted 09 January 2020 - 07:14 AM

View Postpurpleduck, on 09 January 2020 - 07:09 AM, said:

More gossip :ninja: I do wonder how much or if any of this is true. I’m all for people living their own lives. There are different ways of achieving this though. Either way, it’s not an easy life.
https://blindgossip.com/the-big-plan/

What a nasty article.

I think harry is probably looking at how his cousins are living- Peter and Zara, and thinks that it looks ok.

This absolutely is in line with Charles slimming down and the photos published by the royals for Christmas/ new year focus on William and family.

I wish them happiness.

And I don’t believe for one moment that the queen or prince Charles didn’t know and weren’t involved in the discussions.

#15 ~Jolly_F~

Posted 09 January 2020 - 07:15 AM

The statement from the palace statement is ummmm.... interesting!

#16 MrsLexiK

Posted 09 January 2020 - 07:15 AM

I do have to laugh at the “work to become financially dependent” like surely they have enough cash stashed to live a pretty decent life right now.

#17 DirtyStreetPie

Posted 09 January 2020 - 07:20 AM

They may well have realised that the institution is repugnant to them. No self-respecting, ethical, person would be proud to be a member of that family.

Good on them. Of course, Meghan will be portrayed as the Yoko Ono of the situation.

ETA: Just read the statement from the palace. They sound so p*ssed! I love it. The purpose of the monarchy is to continue to exist, and that will be harder without having the Sussexes on hand to enthrall the crowds that pathetically gather to gawk at them.

Edited by DirtyStreetMincePi, 09 January 2020 - 07:29 AM.

#18 SFmummyto3

Posted 09 January 2020 - 07:24 AM

Wonder if she’ll return to acting gigs again?

The Palace response about “complicated issues to work through” says to me these are money issues. They’ve recently had a fortune of taxpayers money spent on renovations at their home!

Otoh it does seem like they both want a more ‘normal’ life similar to some of their cousins. Plus they both seem to have struggles with their mental health and coping with the intense media focus. I would guess that Harry is seeing similarities in the attention to Diana and naturally does not want the same outcome.

Edited by SFmummyto3, 09 January 2020 - 07:36 AM.

#19 Staying Strange

Posted 09 January 2020 - 07:27 AM

It doesn't surprise.... I remember seeing an interview with Harry (can't remember if I read it it saw it), but he was asked something along the lines of did he want to be king, or something and his response was "no,none of us want it".I remember thinking how definite he came across as not wanting it. Now he's so far down the line of succession and with Charles slimming its a sensible move for them. Good luck to them.

#20 .Jerry.

Posted 09 January 2020 - 07:30 AM

Good to see they can do what they want.
They will still "bank" on the royal aspect of their lives though, not that I mightn't do the same. ;)

If they think their lives will be "normal" they are kidding themselves.  They would have a better chance of that in the UK, similar to Harry's cousins.

#21 kiwi-girl

Posted 09 January 2020 - 07:32 AM

View PostNo Drama Please, on 09 January 2020 - 06:37 AM, said:

So you live a separate life while everything is normal but if something major happened you’d still take over, that makes sense.

So the unthinkable happens and the 5 in line for the throne before Harry all die and he is suddenly up for the big job - why would you want someone there who clearly doesnt want to be there and would likely abdicate. Why doesnt he also just step out of the line of succession as well?

#22 Lady Sybil Vimes

Posted 09 January 2020 - 07:32 AM

So they didn’t talk to anyone from the palace before announcing this. They need better advisors.

I think it’s reasonable for them to move away from being full-time royals but they need to manage it better than this.

#23 magic_marker

Posted 09 January 2020 - 07:39 AM

Royalty aside. Isn't it the aim to become independent from ones parents? Isn't that meant to be a sign of maturity?
I love Harry. I love William. I don't love Harry just because he's Williams brother or he's Diana's & Charles son or the Queens grandson. Why make it something negative?

#24 YodaTheWrinkledOne

Posted 09 January 2020 - 07:45 AM

Not exactly a surprise to anyone, is it? Given that H&M have been steeping back as senior royals for a while now, and given that Megan is from the US/Canada, it's also not a surprise that they want to split their time between their two home countries.

Harry might be in the line of succession, but something truly overwhelming would have to happen now for he to have to step up to be king.

I wonder if Megan will go back to acting ....

I don't see it as a negative or a positive, it's just something someone would do if they want to live independently and have their own life. It's unfortunate that they have to make an announcement about it, etc but that's what you get for being a member of the most widely known and recognised royal family. With any luck, they could have a quiet life. But I don't think that's going to happen either.

Edited by YodaTheWrinkledOne, 09 January 2020 - 07:47 AM.

#25 Dianalynch

Posted 09 January 2020 - 07:50 AM

Megan and Harry just might have seen the institution for what it is - a ridiculous anachronism.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.