Spin off - citizenship

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 IamtheMumma

Posted 09 January 2020 - 01:29 PM

With all the changes in citizenships, do we need to apply for Australian Citizenship for children who were born here to Oz citizens? Oz citizen by descent?

I realise that seems like a duh question but if being born here doesn't automatically gain you citizenship, what does and how do you prove it if a birth cert doesn't count?

#2 kitkatswing

Posted 09 January 2020 - 01:35 PM

Have I missed something??? I was born here as was husband..

My daughter was born here 6 years ago

We are all citizens of Australia and never had to apply for anything..

#3 red_squirrel

Posted 09 January 2020 - 01:39 PM

Don’t you just need a birth certificate?

What has changed?

#4 IamOzgirl

Posted 09 January 2020 - 01:42 PM

If you were born here to non citizens then no it is not automatic.

Or if you were born overseas to Aussie citizens it is not automatic.

And yes having your passport expire if you have any potential citizenship issues is a headache you do not want.

Hell just letting you Aussie passport expire is a headache if if you are a citizen! Australia is pretty painful in that regard.

Apparently no let you use an expired passport as ID.

#5 Nasty Bunsen

Posted 09 January 2020 - 02:11 PM

DH and I are both naturalised citizens, to prove our kids (born here) are citizens we need to show their birth certificates and our proof of citizenship (valid at the time of their birth, so for our eldest only DH was a citizen so it has to be his). We make sure they have valid Aussie passports so they have their own citizenship document.

#6 IamtheMumma

Posted 09 January 2020 - 02:12 PM

Do birth certificates count as evidence of citizenship?

My kids are looking for work and places are asking for proof of citizenship. Technically, they don't have anything except their birth certificate.

All parents were Australian citizens at the time of their birth.

#7 just roses

Posted 09 January 2020 - 02:24 PM

No, but you need to provide relevant documentation to apply for passports. When I applied for my kids’ passports, I needed to supply mine and DH’s birth certificates to prove they were eligible.

#8 Expelliarmus

Posted 09 January 2020 - 02:40 PM

I have only ever needed my birth certificate to prove I am an Australian citizen for jobs, ID checks and my passport application. After a particular year (1985?) you need a parents Australian birth certificate to prove to the passport office that you are an Au citizen. For job purposes an Au birth certificate plus Medicare care has been enough ID for my kids.

#9 José

Posted 09 January 2020 - 03:11 PM

View PostIamtheMumma, on 09 January 2020 - 02:12 PM, said:

Do birth certificates count as evidence of citizenship?

My kids are looking for work and places are asking for proof of citizenship. Technically, they don't have anything except their birth certificate.

All parents were Australian citizens at the time of their birth.

What places are asking for proof of citizenship!?
You are allowed to work in Australia even if not a citizen. (E.g. as a permanent resident and some visas)

#10 Redhead43

Posted 09 January 2020 - 03:34 PM

Our eldest was born when we were temporary citizens, so did not become Australian until we did. She was given a temporary visa and we had to include her in our application for permanent residency.
Our other 2 kids were born when we were permanent citizens so became Australian straight away.
At one point, for our family of 5 we had 2 British, 1 Irish and 2 Aussie passports. Made for an interesting arrival in the UK on holiday.
ETA
Once you do become an Aussie citizen, you MUST use an Australian passport to enter and leave Australia. We had to pay extra to get DH really fast as he was due to go to NZ for work a few days after we got citizenship.

Edited by Redhead43, 09 January 2020 - 03:37 PM.

#11 Chchgirl

Posted 09 January 2020 - 03:39 PM

My kids are automatic citizens as I was born in Oz and they have birth certificates and Oz passports to prove it.

Their father was born in Nz but came to Australia before 2001 so was an Automatic Oz citizen,  even though he still had an Nz passport.  Never an issue living in both countries.

My kids also have NZ passports and citizenship by descent as youngest will be studying in Nz and being a citizen there means she can access atudent loans etc. Oz citizens have to wait 3 years which is fair enough.

Edited by BahumChchgirlbug, 09 January 2020 - 03:39 PM.

#12 Chchgirl

Posted 09 January 2020 - 03:41 PM

View PostExpelliarmus, on 09 January 2020 - 02:40 PM, said:

I have only ever needed my birth certificate to prove I am an Australian citizen for jobs, ID checks and my passport application. After a particular year (1985?) you need a parents Australian birth certificate to prove to the passport office that you are an Au citizen. For job purposes an Au birth certificate plus Medicare care has been enough ID for my kids.

Yes, my 18 year old dd just got her adult passport as child one expired and just needed her birth certificate as proof of Oz citizenship.

#13 Kiwi Bicycle

Posted 09 January 2020 - 03:46 PM

DS was born here in Australia and as we both are still kiwi only, is a NZer. However if DS resides here for 10 years, he automatically gets Australian citizenship.

#14 No Drama Please

Posted 09 January 2020 - 03:55 PM

View PostJosé, on 09 January 2020 - 03:11 PM, said:

You are allowed to work in Australia even if not a citizen. (E.g. as a permanent resident and some visas)
I’m guessing things like government jobs, where you have to be an Australian citizen.

#15 IamOzgirl

Posted 09 January 2020 - 04:06 PM

View PostJosé, on 09 January 2020 - 03:11 PM, said:

Yes

But if not a citizen you need to show a valid work visa.

Usually the question is “are you a citizen, if yes please provide documentation, if you are not please up load a valid work visa”

#16 MayaTheGrinch

Posted 09 January 2020 - 04:08 PM

A lot of jobs now require your birth certificate to prove you are a citizen. I think it has something to do with changes in the last 2 years. I know when we were selecting a candidate for a position we required either a birth certificate, citizenship certificate or passport. It’s a giant pain as mine is falling apart but if you laminate it you can invalidate it. Though I have a passport now.

As to your question I’m not totally sure. My dad is a permanent resident and is looking at the process of becoming a naturalised citizen. He’s been here since he was 15, served in the army, votes and been on various benefits and support. Unfortunately the country he was born in no longer exists (Africa, where his father served a commonwealth police officer or something similar) but he was registered in the UK and so I think he is a British citizen??? I think he has some paperwork calling him a commonwealth citizen. My uncle unfortunately exists in some sort of limbo land and can’t vote but does get certain benefits and government support.

Mum was Australian for generations (we had someone come over on a convict ship). So my sister and I are Australian citizens. Not sure how we’d prove that except we have a birth certificate and I now have a passport. Kids have passports. DH’s dad is English but an Australian citizen now. I’m assuming DH is considered a citizen as he was issued a passport. Though apparently he travelled on his dad’s UK passport when he was little (3 or 5 I think. This was before 1980). So maybe he has UK citizenship too???

#17 Magratte

Posted 09 January 2020 - 04:33 PM

View Postkitkatswing, on 09 January 2020 - 01:35 PM, said:

Have I missed something??? I was born here as was husband..

My daughter was born here 6 years ago

We are all citizens of Australia and never had to apply for anything..

It does not matter where you were born, but whom you were born.

If someone is born in Australia to non-Australian citizens, they are not Australian citizen.

If someone is born in Australia to Australian citizen, they are Australian citizen.

If someone is born o/s to Australian citizen, they are Australian citizen.

#18 PatG

Posted 09 January 2020 - 05:42 PM

View PostMayaTheGrinch, on 09 January 2020 - 04:08 PM, said:

A lot of jobs now require your birth certificate to prove you are a citizen. I think it has something to do with changes in the last 2 years. I know when we were selecting a candidate for a position we required either a birth certificate, citizenship certificate or passport. It’s a giant pain as mine is falling apart but if you laminate it you can invalidate it. Though I have a passport now.

Mine was falling apart so I ordered a new one.

#19 PatG

Posted 09 January 2020 - 05:43 PM

View PostMagratte, on 09 January 2020 - 04:33 PM, said:

If someone is born o/s to Australian citizen, they are Australian citizen.

Automatically, or do they need to be registered?

#20 nom_de_plume

Posted 09 January 2020 - 05:50 PM

View PostExpelliarmus, on 09 January 2020 - 02:40 PM, said:

This recently caused a bit of a headache for me as Dad is dead and we have no idea where his original birth certificate is, and Mum doesn’t have an Australian birth certificate (born in UK to EU citizens).

I don’t have a passport from before DD birth so I had to apply for proof of citizenship, despite the fact that I was born here to Australian parents and have all the other ID (birth certificate, passport, driver’s license).

#21 Owls

Posted 09 January 2020 - 06:22 PM

View PostPatG, on 09 January 2020 - 05:43 PM, said:

Automatically, or do they need to be registered?

Not automatically, they need to apply for citizenship by decent. My daughters were born in the US where you are automatically a citizen of the US if born on US soil. They were not Australian citizens until we went through the process of applying for their citizenship.

Edited by Owls, 09 January 2020 - 06:23 PM.

#22 FEdeRAL

Posted 09 January 2020 - 06:52 PM

View PostNo Drama Please, on 09 January 2020 - 03:55 PM, said:

I’m guessing things like government jobs, where you have to be an Australian citizen.

Not all government jobs.

#23 PrincessPeach

Posted 09 January 2020 - 06:53 PM

View PostMayaTheGrinch, on 09 January 2020 - 04:08 PM, said:

A lot of jobs now require your birth certificate to prove you are a citizen. I think it has something to do with changes in the last 2 years.

Ahh, the 450 visa & taxation implications. Certain visa holders cant apply for some jobs & when they do their employers need to withhold tax at the top marginal rate.

#24 Kiwi Bicycle

Posted 09 January 2020 - 07:23 PM

View PostFEdeRAL, on 09 January 2020 - 06:52 PM, said:

Not all government jobs.

No, but you need to be an Australian citizen to get a security clearance and that can affect who can work on a project done by an outside company on areas on national secrecy, like IT for government departments for example. So, yes citizenship can be an issue for non government companies as well.

#25 Acidulous Osprey

Posted 09 January 2020 - 07:25 PM

View PostBahumChchgirlbug, on 09 January 2020 - 03:39 PM, said:

Their father was born in Nz but came to Australia before 2001 so was an Automatic Oz citizen,  even though he still had an Nz passport.  Never an issue living in both countries.

that's not quite accurate.  He would have had permanent residency but  had to wait 2 years to apply for Australian citizenship.  No Kiwis got automatic citizenship.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.