Delayed FYOS, any regrets?

• Please log in to reply
109 replies to this topic

#101 Paddlepop

Posted 11 January 2020 - 07:04 PM

View PostPrincessPeach, on 11 January 2020 - 06:57 PM, said:

I'm now curious as to what area of Qld you are in for it to be normal for a November/December born kid to be held back.

An area where lots of Victorians and NSW people live? Certainly not the done thing in my part of Qld. If a child was older than their peers they'd stick out like a sore thumb at my DD's school. The Preppies are all very young, very small, and behave exactly like you'd expect a bunch of just turned 5yo/about to turn 5yo children to behave. By the end of the Prep year they're all looking much more settled and confident at school.

#102 Lime-Polka-Dot

Posted 11 January 2020 - 07:13 PM

View PostPrincessPeach, on 11 January 2020 - 06:57 PM, said:

It would be very unusual for a child here to turn 7 in their prep year.

Generally likewise here in VIC where delayed starts are more common. You're more likely to see children who are 5 turning 6 in the early months (Jan-April 30 which is the 'cut off')

I had two this year who were born in this time frame who would have been eligible for FYOS who had parents deliberately delayed their entry to funded kindergarten to send them to school a year later. I said all year I was unsure why, both would have thrived at school, the decision was made "because they could" and thought it was beneficial. I didn't know either beforehand to know where they were at the year prior however.

#103 Heather11

Posted 11 January 2020 - 09:01 PM

If this has just been suggested to you with only 2--3 weeks to go before school begins then I would seriously question their motives if there hasn't been  any inkling of this thought previously.

I assume, like others, that he will have under taken some transition or orientation sessions at school already.  By now uniforms and stationery packs would have been organised.

Edited by Heather11, 11 January 2020 - 09:02 PM.

#104 born.a.girl

Posted 12 January 2020 - 07:15 AM

View PostLime-Polka-Dot, on 11 January 2020 - 07:13 PM, said:

I didn't know either beforehand to know where they were at the year prior however.

One nephew with an April birthday was 'held back'.

I think part of the problem is that you have to make that decision when booking them in to four year old kinder, which in Victoria back then (he's over 30 now) meant getting in quick.  Like our daughter's was, it was probably a case of being able to book after the second birthday, then first in best dressed.  I believe that's changed, but it's why our late Nov daughter missed out on the four year old kinder 5 x mins walk away, and we had to go to one which involved a drive over a rail line and two major road, which could take 20 mins in the car. Daft system.

Maybe they went to enroll for 3yo kinder, found they didn't have a snowflake's hope in hell for an April kid, but would pretty much be first on the list for the following year, and were told that was pretty standard.

Edited by born.a.girl, 12 January 2020 - 07:15 AM.

#105 Hands Up

Posted 12 January 2020 - 07:50 AM

DS is a July baby, born two weeks before the cut off and we are sending him this year as a 5.5 year old. There is no way he was ready last year. He was late to toilet train and we have been working with an OT the past four months on his fine and gross motor skill challenges. He’s also not very resilient and is a perfectionist which again we’ve been working on. He simply wouldn’t have coped going last year and I think he’ll find this year very hard.

On the other hand a friend of ours is sending their kid at four years, seven months and he’ll be fine. He’s very mature emotionally/socially and is a smart kid so no need to wait.

Every kid is different.

The norm in our area does seem to be however an unofficial hold back from December for boys (our friend is a massive outlier) and about March for girls.

#106 Kiwi Bicycle

Posted 12 January 2020 - 08:23 AM

I've been in this decision. The many reason to repeat another year of kinder was to more easily access thearpy during school hours, being kinder being only 15 or so hours a week. But if your child is attending daycare full time, that's a moot point.

And don't worry if the FYOS looks more serious with desks etc, because DS's school did but had a heap of toys packed in cupboards including doll houses, board games, train sets etc. They just didn't feel the need to have play kitchens and big items out. Most 5 and 6 year olds are a bit beyond play kitchens anyway.

#107 kimasa

Posted 12 January 2020 - 08:50 AM

View PostIamtheMumma, on 11 January 2020 - 09:28 AM, said:

Thanks for the variety of opinions.

Childcare said they think the extra year will give him time to mature and he'll enjoy the programme. He's just young. He's supposed to start in 2 weeks time so this was a surprise. Last November they said he's ready to go.

DS has only just turned 5. He's not 6 until the last quarter of the year but would be turning 7 if delayed. Most likely the oldest in his class. He's teeny so wouldn't be towering over anyone. He has additional needs with medical and allied health input. Paed said to send him and let the school cope.

This bit stands out to me as extremely dodgy reasoning, above all.

I'm sure most kids would enjoy the program, that's not a reason to hold any child back.

#108 JRA

Posted 12 January 2020 - 08:56 AM

I'd be pushing daycare for a decent explaination of why they want him to repeat. It's really unusual for a child born in the first half of the intake year to be held back in qld. At our school he would be the oldest by 6 months.

In DS's year, he is Dec birthday and started just after he turned 5.  (Vic).  There are some girls older than him (through to those who turned 5 to end april) not many boys. He just turned 17, his close school friends all turn 18 by the end of march.

His year in primary years had a 20 month age group - boys who turned 6 in August / September before they started school and girls who turned 5 in May (got approval for early start)

#109 born.a.girl

Posted 12 January 2020 - 09:02 AM

View Postkimasa, on 12 January 2020 - 08:50 AM, said:

This bit stands out to me as extremely dodgy reasoning, above all.

I'm sure most kids would enjoy the program, that's not a reason to hold any child back.

I agree. My daughter loathed change, and would have happily stayed at kinder until she was ten, I'm sure.

#110 Kreme

Posted 12 January 2020 - 12:44 PM

View Postborn.a.girl, on 12 January 2020 - 09:02 AM, said:

I agree. My daughter loathed change, and would have happily stayed at kinder until she was ten, I'm sure.

Same! My DD was 5.5 when she started and all Christmas holidays when people were asking if she was excited about school she’d look at them in horror and reply “No!” She would have happily stayed at preschool forever! She ended up loving school but still hates transitions. She was dreading high school but loves it now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.