Out of area Public School

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Ek35

Posted 11 January 2020 - 09:41 PM

We have recently moved house and have our child enrolled in a school to start Kindergarten this year that is not in the area.
We are considering applying to a local school that is out of area by approx two streets.

I know most public schools decide on their out of area enrolments towards the end of the year and all schools are different with capped enrolments.
Since schools are still closed I was wondering if anyone has had any luck in NSW applying out of area for their child at the beginning of the school year and being able to start at the beginning of term 1?
Thanks

#2 seayork2002

Posted 11 January 2020 - 09:46 PM

It happens at ds's old primary but have not done it as a parent if you email they may be checking those offsite?

#3 Kreme

Posted 11 January 2020 - 10:17 PM

I think it will very much depend on the school and how full they are. Our primary school only accepts in area students. Only exception is siblings of current students.

Other schools accept out of area if they have space. If they’ve filled all their spaces then the best you can hope for us that someone who is enrolled doesn’t turn up and you can take their place.

#4 BECZ

Posted 11 January 2020 - 11:51 PM

Like PPs have said, it will mainly depend on how full the school is.  Ours won’t take anybody out of our zone now as our school is beyond full.  There are however about 6 other schools nearby that will take pretty much anybody as they have the space.

#5 Crazyone26989

Posted 12 January 2020 - 05:12 AM

With the new rules around enrolment caps I’m not sure. There is a good chance that the principal is around a little bit these last two weeks of the holidays so you could try calling.

#6 SM3s Fight Song

Posted 12 January 2020 - 05:41 AM

Not nsw so not sure when school starts for you.  Our school staff seem to go back about 2 weeks before school starts, the office isn't open and not answering the phones, but they will return messages and answer emails. Our school only takes out of areas from siblings of current students.  Like PP said it will most likely depend on how full they are.

#7 Bono25

Posted 12 January 2020 - 05:53 AM

They've been cracking down on out of area enrollments in nsw. You need to apply for an exemption through the dept of Ed. It depends on the school, you might be lucky.

#8 José

Posted 12 January 2020 - 06:48 AM

You are supposed to make an application- specific form needed.
Then in nsw, what is supposed to have next is a panel, which should include a parent/ community rep,, looks at it.
Id think it's highly unlikely thus can occur prior to the start of the school year.
Then the first week or so in schools are flat out so you would need to allow some time.

#9 PrincessPeach

Posted 12 January 2020 - 07:39 PM

I'm not in NSW, but our school in Qld here is enrollment managed & basically unless you are in zone or a sibling of a current student there would be no chance of getting a place.

The school is at capacity, but there are schools close by with capacity, so no need for more buildings.

#10 Ek35

Posted 12 January 2020 - 09:33 PM

Thanks for everyone’s input. I can only try I guess!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.