Family friendly veg recipes

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Bigbaubles

Posted 15 January 2020 - 06:55 AM

Looking at doing more meat free meals for the family and would love suggestions.

I'm not a huge veg eater, I like the standard veg but not keen on stuff like asparagus, eggplant etc.

3 year old is a bit picky with sauces etc. but I don't cater to her lol. Hubby will eat anything. I already do a few pastas etc.

Love to hear any suggestions!

#2 Sentient Puddle

Posted 15 January 2020 - 07:01 AM

Lentil bolognaise is a hit in this house - you substitute lentils, carrots and celery for the meat and it comes out thick and delicious.  DP says he likes my lentil bol better than his meat version now.

Pasta bake - roast an veg you like - make a pasta sauce with celery and any other veg you like - combine the not quite cooked all the way through pasta with the chopped roasted veg and pasta sauce, cover with a sprinkle of cheese in a baking dish and cook for about 30 minutes.  Very kid friendly.

#3 *Marty*

Posted 15 January 2020 - 07:39 AM

Cottage pie
Saute onion and garlic add some curry paste (Thai, Indian whatever you have or like). Add half to one cup of dried brown lentils a large tin or 2 of tinned chopped tomatoes and whatever veg you have, I usually add carrot beans capci broccoli zucchini, maybe mushrooms  whatever you like. Cook until tender then add a cup each of peas and corn.

Put in baking dish and add generous an ok t of mash potato, grill until Brown on top. Add grated cheese to melt for added wickedness. The above makes one for the table and one for the freezer. Kids complain when I  serve it but love it for sure when  the start eating

#4 Riotproof

Posted 15 January 2020 - 07:46 AM

What are the standard veg?

#5 UndergroundKelpie

Posted 15 January 2020 - 07:54 AM

Roasted Brussels sprouts, zucchini, capsicum and onion. Then toss with coriander, chickpeas and crumbled feta.

It's a family favourite.

#6 EmmDasher

Posted 15 January 2020 - 07:55 AM

Vegetarian sausage rolls - https://thermobliss....-sausage-rolls/

This macaroni cheese with the vege sauce - https://skinnymixers...i-cheese-twist/

I know they’re both thermomix but you could do them without aswell with a food processor or blender.

We do lots of soups in winter too - pumpkin, sweet potato, cauliflower, broccoli. I add pasta for the kids & they love it.

Nobody really likes lentils or legume based dishes here. We’ve tried but one kid refuses to eat point blank and the texture makes me want to gag. I wish We liked them because it would make things a lot easier.

#7 blimkybill

Posted 15 January 2020 - 08:05 AM

Tofu is very kid friendly. For kids you could crumb and fry it or just fry till browned and serve with a dipping sauce. For less picky people it's great in a stir fry. I like the pre-flavoured ones, they are so easy to use for a quick easy meal.

#8 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 15 January 2020 - 08:06 AM

Hidden veg mac and cheese is yum. There are a few versions floating around.

My kids like zucchini and sweet potato fritters. So does DH. I add corn too or whatever other veg we have on hand
https://www.woolwort...potato-fritters

Soup, my kids love pumpkin soup, and tomato soup. And even vegetable soup sometimes.

dahl and rice and flat bread. I have a dahl recipe that has a whole carrot and a whole tomato in it as well as onion. If you grate it finely and cook it down it barely noticeable. My kids love it. It was a surprise hit.

And beans on toast. Baked beans are great.

#9 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 15 January 2020 - 08:09 AM

For a more grown up veg dish:
Vegetarian lasagne.

I do one in the slow cooker. Just layer finely sliced veg, like zucchini, pumpkin, eggplant, anything really, layer with some passata, cheese sauce, pasta sheets. Cook on low for 8 hours or high for 4ish. Easy and yum.

Or do this one. It’s more time consuming, but OMG, it’s yum
https://www.recipeti...tarian-lasagna/

#10 Kaz83

Posted 15 January 2020 - 08:41 AM

The Jamie Oliver Veg book has so many great dishes in it. I got a lot more out of it than I thought I would.

#11 Dianalynch

Posted 15 January 2020 - 09:13 AM

Riotproof, on 15 January 2020 - 07:46 AM, said:

What are the standard veg?

for my extended family In the 1980s standard veg always meant potato, pumpkin, peas, corn, carrot, broccoli and cauliflower.  Everyone got more adventurous as time went on.

#12 ~Kay~

Posted 15 January 2020 - 10:26 AM

I agree with lemonmyrtle dal was a surprise hit for us too. With rice, flatbread and papadums.

#13 Pearson

Posted 15 January 2020 - 12:04 PM

This is yummy: https://www.google.c...ipe-2014149.amp

#14 Jingleflea

Posted 15 January 2020 - 12:12 PM

I do korean vegetable pancakes.
Pretty sure it was on Better Homes and gardens about 4 years ago.

Shredded veggies and sprouts, flour, egg and some garlic.
My 9 yr old loves them.

#15 BusbyWilkes

Posted 15 January 2020 - 12:15 PM

Sentient Puddle, on 15 January 2020 - 07:01 AM, said:

Lentil bolognaise is a hit in this house - you substitute lentils, carrots and celery for the meat and it comes out thick and delicious.  DP says he likes my lentil bol better than his meat version now.

Pasta bake - roast an veg you like - make a pasta sauce with celery and any other veg you like - combine the not quite cooked all the way through pasta with the chopped roasted veg and pasta sauce, cover with a sprinkle of cheese in a baking dish and cook for about 30 minutes.  Very kid friendly.

We also use the lentil bolognaise (with extra spices and kidney or black beans added) for nachos or tacos. Kids also prefer this to meat version now (and they love meat).

#16 MayaTheGrinch

Posted 15 January 2020 - 12:55 PM

Mine don't mind soups, the roasted pumpkin and red lentil soup is always a hit (I literally just roast half a kent pumpkin until it's almost burnt with some rough chopped onion and a clove or two of garlic. Toss in a pit with 2L chicken stock and a cup of lenitils. It also works well with split peas, but they take a good 45-60 mins of cooking or a slow cooker)

My kids like my green pasta. jar of gevonese pesto, broccoli, peas, baby spinach leaves and a pkt of pasta. It's also wonderfully quick to make.

Nachos has always been meat free here. I use red kidney beans, carrot, silverbeet, capsican and corn kernals. If might toss in a cup of lentils or green split peas. (The split peas only happens if I'm doing the mix in the slow cooker as they need much longer to cook).

Vege pastry packets. It's literally just a mix of vege cooked in a pot with spices and then puff or fillo pastry wrapped around them. The sweet potato, cauliflower, carraway seed and fetta ones were a massive hit. You can use any vege really, the trick is not make it too dry or too liquidy (cheese is good to add flavour and liquid) and spices.

The trick often with veg dishes is the spices. Cumin, caraway seeds, fennel seeds, mixed herbs, fresh oregano, rosemary, various citrus juice. Play around and see what appeals to your palate and what goes with the veg. (Sweet potato and cauliflower both mix well with either cumin or caraway).

#17 spr_maiden

Posted 15 January 2020 - 01:04 PM

Rice paper rolls - dried and cut into strips teriyaki tofu for protein; grated/finely cut various vegs which suit; everyone puts their own together at the table.

Lentil/bean patties with standard veg.

Falafel and salad wraps.

Egg,  spinach and roasted veg wraps.

#18 NeedSleepNow

Posted 15 January 2020 - 01:08 PM

I’m a big fan of these ‘sausage rolls’

https://emeraldandel...-sausage-rolls/

#19 Lou-bags

Posted 15 January 2020 - 01:09 PM

I make this a lot.
https://www.healthyl...ed-lentil-bake/

DH, DS2 and I love it. DS1 (the fussy eater in our family) just has something else.

Another thing we are loving is roasted cauli. I cut up a whole cauli into thin-ish slices (no more than 1-1.5cm thickness) and spread on a baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with smoked paprika, salt and pepper. Bake at 200C or so for until it goes golden and starts to brown on the tips.
Serve with:
-Slice of sourdough topped with babaganoush and rocket and an egg (poached or fried)
- hummous, feta, tomato, olives and rocket

Or you can take the roasted cauliflower and a few small potatoes, some veg stock and make a lovely creamy soup.

Vegetarian fried rice is another thing we do semi regularly. Sometimes I add some chilli garlic sauce, and serve with a fried egg too.

Pinterest is a good place to get inspiration, too, OP.

#20 MayaTheGrinch

Posted 15 January 2020 - 01:17 PM

^^ ooh yed baked eggs are good too. I just put tortilla in the large cupcake trays, add some vege mix (sometimes flavor Mexican with beans or similar, sometimes just plain vege, add a little bit of sauce, either tomato or cream based then crack an egg on top and bake for 15-20mins.

Also I couldn't stand eggplant until someone showed me how to make babaganoush. So good. Making your own hummous can be a good addition to things too (I don't get on with tahini, so substitute greek yogurt instead. really easy in a food processor, just a tin of chickpeas, a clove of garlic, 150g plain greek yogurt and 1tsp lemon juice)

Edited by MayaTheGrinch, 15 January 2020 - 01:20 PM.

#21 blimkybill

Posted 15 January 2020 - 02:01 PM

Some other favourites:

Home made pizza on flat bread (or proper dough if you can be bothered) with vegetarian topping such as capsicum, onion, olives, mushrooms, plus mozzarella

Frittata with potato and spinach or pumpkin and spinach

Risotto - so many options. i love leek and mushroom. Or leek and peas. Or pumpkin with pine nuts and spinach

Haloumi burger

Tacos or burritos with beans instead of meat

I have recently discovered TVP, it's a soy based protein, and it cooks up almost exactly like mince. It was ahrd to tell the difference in a bolognaise. It's very cheap too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.