Yellow 'no parking' line on road

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Romeo Void

Posted 15 January 2020 - 01:53 PM

The council have just called asking if we'd like a yellow line in front of our house.  It's a small lane and there have been issues in the past with people being parked in.  Recently 2 houses that were rentals (share houses with lots of cars) were sold to owner occupier and the car situation has calmed down.  
I don't think I want a yellow line in front of our house. We're looking to sell soon, am I wrong in thinking it might put people off?

#2 hills mum bec

Posted 15 January 2020 - 02:25 PM

It's going to restrict places where visitors to your house are able to park.  That being said if it causes problems when people actually do park there then it does make sense to have a yellow line there.

#3 #notallcats

Posted 15 January 2020 - 02:39 PM

So a yellow line means no parking at all?  Or parking with a permit only?

I lived in a house that had permit parking (for residents), it was a real pain if you had more than two visitors, or even just two visitors  if you used a permit yourself.  Perhaps it was just our council, but they only gave us two permits.  

Due to my experience, it would be a negative for me when looking at houses.

#4 born.a.girl

Posted 15 January 2020 - 02:56 PM

Not sure what it would actually mean in VIc, but I wouldn't see it as a positive.

If you thought that the issues might return it would be worth it, but as you're leaving AND wanting to make your place appear as attractive as possible, no, I wouldn't.

#5 melanieb530

Posted 15 January 2020 - 03:05 PM

It would put me off buying a property as I’d worry that my friends/family/visitors would have nowhere to park.

#6 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 15 January 2020 - 03:08 PM

id be all for it.  We have a no standing zone over the road at school times, to help traffic flow, and we are on a normal suburban street.  If i was on a laneway id definitely want half to be no standing. Id see it as a positive when buying a new house. Nothing worse than beign stuck in your driveway, or not having your bin collected because some twit has blocked everyone.

#7 Freddie'sMum

Posted 15 January 2020 - 03:12 PM

My friend lives near a primary school.  Even with yellow lines painted and school zone parking clearly marked, people park over her driveway and block access to her house.  I am team yellow line !!  Esp if the council can organise a ranger to enforce it.

#8 seayork2002

Posted 15 January 2020 - 03:13 PM

hills mum bec, on 15 January 2020 - 02:25 PM, said:

It's going to restrict places where visitors to your house are able to park.  That being said if it causes problems when people actually do park there then it does make sense to have a yellow line there.

This!

#9 surprisebaby

Posted 15 January 2020 - 05:48 PM

We got one 1m either side of our driveway. best thing ever.  Commuters parked in our street to get the bus and some idiots would park slightly over the driveway each side making it almost impossible to get out as there were also bright sparks parked directly opposite. Thank god the council made the whole street 2 hours limit last year so now its better again. It was actually something that put us off buying the house originally. We had to put cones out so the removalist truck could get in on moving day. ETA if people choose to ignore the lines (by a lot) I call council and they send out someone to ticket them.

Edited by surprisebaby, 15 January 2020 - 05:49 PM.

#10 IamtheMumma

Posted 15 January 2020 - 07:02 PM

It would depend entirely on where the street was. Next to a school, train station, bus station or hospital then it is a great idea for time limited parking. But yellow lines are a pest. Our council has a no parking on the nature strip rule. I think its a dumb rule. Doesn't matter if its your house, you're not allowed to do it. So when a house in the street gets visitors, the street quickly becomes busy. There aren't any carparks nearby for visitors. Yellow lines would essentially spot street residents from having a social life.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.