Balloon induction

6 replies to this topic

#1 babybug15

Posted 15 January 2020 - 04:14 PM

I've been asked to consider a balloon catheter induction, should I need to be induced as I had a previous c-section and very bad reactions to the chemical induction.

Just wondering if anyone has any experiences with this? From my reading it seems a bit "hit & miss" if it will actually work, and having to go through the process for 15 hours before contractions may or may not kick in, seems a little full on (though labour is I guess!) Be interested in hearing about experiences or any general information about it.

#2 onetrick

Posted 15 January 2020 - 05:57 PM

I had one with my DS as I was experiencing reduced movements.
It is literally exactly as it sounds they put a balloon thing inside you and inflate and that puts pressure on your cervix. It also is incredibly uncomfortable and made me go to the toilet a LOT. I was one of the lucky (??) ones who it worked pretty quickly for and it came out when I went to the toilet in the middle of the night and meant I was 4cm dilated... unfortunately, though labour kicked in from then on, I didnt progress any further for far too long (um, 13 hours?). Reading before and after this seems to have been an unusual situation, so it doesnt mean it will be the same for you.
Like everything in pregnancy and labour, s much as it sucked, I'd do it all again this time if its needed to ensure a safe birth for my next bub (and me!). Happy to answer other questions if you want to PM me?

#3 Jelly11

Posted 15 January 2020 - 06:24 PM

I had one for my induction but it didn't really work for me. I had it in overnight then the plan was to see if they could break my waters the next day but the labour wards filled up overnight so I got it removed and sent home instead. When I went back the next day I was only 1cm dilated so had to have the gel. It was uncomfortable but not too bad. I guess if it doesn't work for you, like me, you haven't lost anything but it's good if it works. My one tip is if you have trouble peeing with it in, try different positions as I found if I wanted to get more than a few drops out I had to lean right back 😂

#4 ckmelb

Posted 15 January 2020 - 07:49 PM

I had one and it wasn't successful in getting labour going. It was put in at about 8pm and I found it very uncomfortable and it made me - TMI - poo a lot (like 4 times in 2 hours and I had already been that day). I also found it hard to sleep but that was probably because I was being induced in hospital! They eventually took a bit of the water out (apparently my OB overfills them) and I then was able to sleep a few hours.

The next day I had my waters broken and had the IV drip for about 15 hours before I called it quits and had a C section.

I think my baby was just very comfortable where she was and had no plans coming out that day

#5 Soontobegran

Posted 16 January 2020 - 07:04 PM

They work very much better if your cervix is favourable. The failure rate is high if you are attempting to insert it through a closed and posterior uneffaced cervix so I'd be asking your Obstetrician what yours 'looks like'.

They are just a Foley catheter just the same as used for urinary drainage. They are filled with 30 mls of sterile water and they can be very uncomfortable for a lot of women.

I have seen them work well in the women who are already 'ripe' and ready.

#6 babybug15

Posted Yesterday, 11:29 AM

Thanks everyone for your comments- it's been very useful.

View PostSoontobegran, on 16 January 2020 - 07:04 PM, said:

They work very much better if your cervix is favourable. The failure rate is high if you are attempting to insert it through a closed and posterior uneffaced cervix so I'd be asking your Obstetrician what yours 'looks like'.

I raised this with my midwife, given last time they couldn't do a "stretch and sweep" at 41 weeks. She said similar to you that if they can't get it in because the cervix is closed, it's not really an option and they won't be able to tell until then.

#7 Mum of a miracle

Posted Yesterday, 07:13 PM

I had one.
They put it in about 6pm then I was meant to go up to the delivery suite at at 9am but there were a heap of emergencies so went up at 12pm apparently I had dilated but waters were still intact they broke my waters by 2pm contractions were in full force and  was holding my son at 3:55pm so worked very quickly for me.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.