Pain during ET - drugs used?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 AuntyJJJ

Posted 18 January 2020 - 03:14 PM

Heading toward egg collection and ET next week and terrified about the pain prospect...

I know a lot of women don’t have pain and I spoke to the nurse and they are very offhand about it. She just said sure take codeine if you like - but looked at me suspiciously like I’m one of those complaining high maintenance patients (I’m not, I just have really sensitive cervix)

The thing is I’ve had 2 babies and 2 cesareans. My cervix has never been touched or opened. When I was 42w prg midwives tried to prise it open several times and it was horrifically painful

I’m planning on Valium and maybe endone before the ET
Has anyone tried something similar ?

Has anyone’s clinic done a dummy test run to check how the catheter interacts with her anatomy?.

Similar to a women pre childbirth having a IUD I think: some experience horrific pain

I also read a study where there was a direct strong  correlation between pain during ET and pregnancy rates which makes me want to avoid pain even more.

Edited by AuntyJJJ, 18 January 2020 - 03:15 PM.

#2 Wonderstruck

Posted 18 January 2020 - 03:55 PM

For egg collection I wasn't in any pain as I was mildly sedated which was standard practice at my clinic. I eas lucid, awake and comfortable. I was very sore before had as I had a lot of follicles and eggs but was fine and managed after with panadine forte or similar (it was 2016) for a day or 2.

I had to ETs in 2016 and they used a local. I didn't find it too bad even though I find paps etc very painful and find it hard to relax for such examinations and internal ultrasounds. I never needed anything afterwards.

I'm having another ET this Friday so I can report back on how it goes if that helps.

I do find the more tense I am the worse it is so if there is something that will de-stress you it will be helpful.

Good luck.

Edited by Wonderstruck, 18 January 2020 - 03:58 PM.

#3 Froyohoho

Posted 18 January 2020 - 04:44 PM

I did 24 transfers and never needed pain relief. It's no worse than a pap test. Egg collection I always had  twilight sedation or a light general depending on the anaesthetist.

ETA: No vaginal deliveries for me either, and after my first lap I was told that I have a smaller than average cervical opening.

Edited by Froyohoho, 18 January 2020 - 07:51 PM.

#4 ckmelb

Posted 18 January 2020 - 05:51 PM

Egg collection is usually with twilight sedation. No pain down there, although I would need a hot water bottle on tummy a few hours after

I'm a massive chicken, but didn't have pain during the embryo transfer or after. You are supposed to have a slightly full bladder to help them guide it in so make sure to follow their instructions

Edited for clarity, thanks Froyo

Edited by ckmelb, 19 January 2020 - 04:18 AM.

#5 Froyohoho

Posted 18 January 2020 - 07:45 PM

Ckmelb I think you mean egg collection under twilight sedation.

Not all FSes use ultrasound guidance during transfer, so confirm beforehand if you need a fullish bladder or not. I actually preferred without ultrasound and had no difference in result.

Edited by Froyohoho, 18 January 2020 - 07:47 PM.

#6 IamOzgirl

Posted 18 January 2020 - 07:48 PM

So this time round my first transfer was with a locum and she really struggled and it was uncomfortable.

The second one it was my FS, and I didn't even realised she put it in!

And I have had issues with pap smears them struggling to get it open. I haven't delivered vaginal either...

#7 BeachesBaby

Posted 19 January 2020 - 09:49 AM

I had to go back twice to get my IUD put in years ago, and I've since found out it's because I have a kink in my cervix, it doesn't go straight in. My FS did a trial run right before my ET with an empty catheter, and was using US guidance so the first cath was too flexible and stopped right at the bend in my cervix, so she just got a more rigid one and that worked immediately. I was so relieved! But she seemed to take it in stride and was completely nonplussed. I also have a very sensitive cervix, and have had some somewhat traumatic experiences with cervical biopsies, to the point where a speculum makes me tense up, but I didn't find this painful, more slightly uncomfortable, like the swab of your cervix getting a pap. I also have a very very tight cervix (or so I've been told), and the catheter fit through the opening just fine.

#8 MissHLH

Posted 21 January 2020 - 11:39 AM

I was in pain after my egg collections, but the ET was pretty pain free.  The smallest pinch when the catheter was inserted, but really minor.  I've never had a child (or IUD), so my cervix has never opened, but it really isn't a big deal.  My cervix is also a bit wierd and it was fine (less uncomfortable than a pap smear).  I found keeping my bladder filled while I was waiting for the transfer much harder!  I don't think you need pain relief, but if you think it will keep you more relaxed then it probably can't hurt.

#9 Mose

Posted 21 January 2020 - 12:44 PM

I fainted the first time I met my FS

Curiously enough, she was fully supportive of me being sedated for ET as well as egg collection.

It was a bit of a PITA having to fast, not drive etc with every ET, but I literally don't think I could have done it the other way - I have more failed pap smears to my name than successful ones!

Not all clinics offer this as an option, but if you are anxious it could be worth asking.

#10 rosie28

Posted 21 January 2020 - 01:53 PM

Egg collection I was sedated and there was no pain at all. I know some clinics don’t knock you out but no way would I have agreed to that. I was a bit uncomfortable afterwards, mostly because of hyper stimulation (16 eggs collected, my tummy was sore). For transfer it’s like a glorified Pap smear, I had no pain at all. The catheter is very thin. I actually found it more comfortable than a Pap smear because there was no scraping.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.