What to consider when looking for a new job?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Cheesy Sanga

Posted 18 January 2020 - 03:45 PM

What things do you need to consider when thinking about applying for a new job?

The main thing would be the wage/salary but there's also commuting time and cost, having the weekends off vs having a couple of weekdays off, change in rate of FTB A/B and CCS. Then there's the long term view, where would each job be in 1/5/10 years?

What else should be considered?

#2 BadCat

Posted 18 January 2020 - 04:01 PM

These are the things I consider (in no particular order)

- is the employer someone I would be comfortable working for
- money
- parking
- commute

Um, actually that's pretty much it for me.  But obviously it depends on your situation.  I'm public sector and there is one department I will NOT apply for, and one I'd have to think very seriously about.  Other than that, if I would have to work in the city it would make me think twice.

I guess other things you might consider would be
- overtime, available, expected?
- shift work
- proximity to child care
- stability

Edited by BadCat, 18 January 2020 - 04:02 PM.

#3 No Drama Please

Posted 18 January 2020 - 04:03 PM

I like to look at staff turnover. You can’t always tell but if you see the same job advertised over and over it tends to make me cautious.

#4 little lion

Posted 18 January 2020 - 04:16 PM

My fit with the immediate manager and team seems to be crucial to long term happiness in a role. I also consider commute/parking, salary/perks and development opportunities.

#5 SummerStar

Posted 18 January 2020 - 04:24 PM

For me it's distance and hours. Money is important but not my first criteria because if they're paying a high amount but 60 hour weeks three hours away then it's not for me.

So after ensuring I'm able to do the actual job, hours and distance is the first thing for me.

#6 Kiwi Bicycle

Posted 18 January 2020 - 04:47 PM

What the company is up to. Have they taken over another company recently, listed or delisted off a stock exchange, how it is regarded in their industry,  etc.
You don't want to jump into a storm of changes, trouble etc.

#7 Heather11

Posted 18 January 2020 - 04:49 PM

My fit with the immediate manager and team seems to be crucial to long term happiness in a role

In most situations you wouldn't be able to determine this before you apply.  Unless of course it was an internal postion where you already worked in the business/organistion.

How ther job fits around family and other committments would be the first consideration.  This would involve things like hours required to work and commute time.  If the commute time meant I was unable to get the children to their extra curricular activities/therapies then it may mean a job isn't considered.

#8 José

Posted 18 January 2020 - 04:56 PM

I started a new job a little over one year ago.
Location and salary were definitely important factors.
My need for particular hours e.g. a late-ish start time was essential.
Ethics also came into play. One place I interviewed with I later found out the owners had been engaged in questionable behaviour previously (actually the subject of an abc investigation!)
Once i knew that they were off my list!

#9 **Tiger*Filly**

Posted 18 January 2020 - 04:59 PM

Flexibility - can you leave early and make it up at home or another day of you need to.
Something that really affects my experience of the workplace is what the physical office environment is like. E.g. if there are few windows or no natural light,  or everyone's crammed in together too closely. I don't know how you find that out beforehand but it's been a factor in me leaving a job before.
Also whether you get reimbursed for travel. My current job just changed the rules about reimbursing staff for km traveled for work and it's really annoyed me.

#10 -Emissary-

Posted 18 January 2020 - 06:44 PM

When applying? Role, remuneration, location and company.

It’s hard to determine anything else while at just the application stage. Even a company who offers flexibility doesn’t mean that the hiring manager will align with policy.

#11 Dianalynch

Posted 18 January 2020 - 07:01 PM

Commute
flexibility
the manager - are they a reasonable human being or a d*ck

#12 lizzzard

Posted 18 January 2020 - 07:23 PM

The research says a direct managers are the #1 reason people quit. In my profession and in many senior corporate roles, its very common for people to want to meet their prospective boss before accepting a job offer.

I'm self employed now but when I was an employee my biggest considerations were purpose and culture. I want to work for an organisation whose purpose inspires me, and where people share the same values as me (it probably says something that I had to go out and start my own :lol:)

Edited by lizzzard, 18 January 2020 - 07:25 PM.

#13 Backtoschoolchef

Posted 18 January 2020 - 09:05 PM

Workload.  You want a little bit of pressure but not too much. Being extremely understaffed seems to be very common these days.
But I don't know how you could really establish what this is like unless you talked to other employees

#14 Ozquoll

Posted 18 January 2020 - 09:13 PM

lizzzard, on 18 January 2020 - 07:23 PM, said:

The research says a direct managers are the #1 reason people quit. In my profession and in many senior corporate roles, its very common for people to want to meet their prospective boss before accepting a job offer.
Hehe, that reminds me...years ago my sister was interviewing people to be her personal assistant. One (female) applicant, when asked what sort of manager she would least like, replied "A woman. I find female bosses really hard to work with" 😲😂😂

#15 BornToLove

Posted 18 January 2020 - 09:15 PM

Workplace culture and direct manager are my biggest considerations when it comes to looking for new roles. I have left dream jobs due to one or both of those reasons. The toll bad mangers and toxic coworkers takes on my mental health is just not worth things like high pay.

#16 Charli73

Posted 18 January 2020 - 10:17 PM

For me it’s mental health and work life balance... I took a new job a 18 months ago for this reason..

#17 tothebeach

Posted 18 January 2020 - 10:17 PM

I get approached very frequently for roles.   I consider the role (will I find it challenging enough?), company (are they a fit with where I want to work).  Is it better than where I am now.  I turn 90% of roles down based on that.   Then I consider the rem, the commute and the ability to be able to work without micro management.  

The one thing that can circumvent a lot of this is the chance to work with a good manager that I can learn from.   I started conversations about my current role with an agent because I respected the exec that I would be working for.   Then took the role because the CEO articulated a compelling vision in our conversation, the rem was competitive and the commute was manageable.  

If any one of those was missing, I would have turned it down.

What you consider depends on: whether you are happy in your current role; do you want a job that pays the bills or for career advancement; what your support network is.

Currently, I travel frequently and work 1.5 hours from home and am often working late at night or on calls overseas  But at the moment, I’m the primary breadwinner so my husband is at home with the kids and I love my job so it works for us.

Edited by tothebeach, 18 January 2020 - 10:18 PM.

#18 PurpleWitch

Posted 18 January 2020 - 10:18 PM

Flexibility.
Workplace culture. - THE most important thing ever

#19 AuntyJJJ

Posted 18 January 2020 - 10:27 PM

Most important to me is what does it feel like where I’ll be working and who will I be working with

Then - what am I actually doing? will I have agency and get to set my own agenda?

The first things I try to find out are does it have harbour views and is it close to Wynyard (annoying that job ads often don’t have the exact location)

If there are no views I don’t apply and if it’s more than 15 min from Wynyard I don’t apply as my daily commute to Wynyard is already over an hour

After that I find out not just salary but also hours expected - because the hourly rate is more significant. I always work 7-4 due to the traffic from where I live

I also jog at lunch break so will need to find out if theres showers and lunch breaks

#20 IShallWearTinsel

Posted 19 January 2020 - 12:17 AM

For me it was the workplace culture and morale. I just chose between 2 positions, and knowing that everything else would be equal (travel time, salary, role) I decided to go with the workplace that had less turn over and was better supported.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.