This is apparently a submission to the Religious Freedom bill

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 gruidae

Posted 19 January 2020 - 01:30 PM

Queenslanders, when they're right wing they go full nutcase. When they're not, they're also go hard or go home. Being from there, I can confirm the vast polarity of Qld life. This is a group is loudly announcing its' intention to test the limits of the religious discrimination bill - via the courts if necessary. I have to admit I laughed
https://twitter.com/...9IEJ3giBprtXD8c

Edited by gruidae, 19 January 2020 - 01:31 PM.

#2 Hands Up

Posted 19 January 2020 - 01:35 PM

Ha ha ha

Scott Morrison and his ilk seem to be forgetting that by protecting their own right to discriminate they are also protecting the rights of the other religions they hate so much.

#3 BadCat

Posted 19 January 2020 - 01:58 PM

Awesome.  Can't wait to see Satanists in schools.  The pearl clutching alone will be worth the price of admission. :rofl:

#4 EsmeLennox

Posted 19 January 2020 - 02:14 PM

Brilliant!

#5 steppy

Posted 19 January 2020 - 02:57 PM

Yeah it's something they seem to overlook.

#6 .Jerry.

Posted 19 January 2020 - 04:09 PM

Bring it on.

However I suspect that by "religious freedom" the proponents of the bill  mean "christian domination".

#7 IamtheMumma

Posted 19 January 2020 - 04:43 PM

Love it.

I once read the Satanic Tenets out to my mum. She said it was a bit sad that people worshipping Satan had a better grasp of Christianity that some Christians. I then explained they don't really worship Satan.

Make no mistake, this bill is only about Christian freedom. There will be challenges in court from non-Christian based religions after they're discriminated against by other religions. Its going to be a sh*t show.

#8 Chelli

Posted 19 January 2020 - 07:08 PM

It will be interesting to see how this all plays out. I will be stocking up on the popcorn.

#9 Ozquoll

Posted 19 January 2020 - 07:43 PM

View PostIamtheMumma, on 19 January 2020 - 04:43 PM, said:

Love it.

I once read the Satanic Tenets out to my mum. She said it was a bit sad that people worshipping Satan had a better grasp of Christianity that some Christians. I then explained they don't really worship Satan.
What exactly do they do though? I looked at the Wikipedia entry for Satanism and found it not at all clear about what makes someone a Satanist, and what practices that might entail.

*I did find their religious freedom submission amusing - both the content, and the fact that sunny, uncomplicated Noosa has a Satanist rump 😁

#10 CallMeFeral

Posted 19 January 2020 - 10:25 PM

Awesome.

And frankly, the only way these things really might be beaten is by playing their own game. I've long been hoping either the Satanic Temple or the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster get organised enough to really challenge the whole thing, because that's the only way religious people used to being in a majority will be able to understand the feeling of "wait... why should a religion I don't believe in have control over me?". I'm so glad TST is stepping up.

Perhaps EB could join en masse to boost numbers?

#11 red_squirrel

Posted 20 January 2020 - 12:01 PM

Wouldn’t this Bill only apply to recognised religions of Australia though?
Neither of the two mentioned above are in the recognised religion list.

#12 CallMeFeral

Posted 20 January 2020 - 01:45 PM

View Postred_squirrel, on 20 January 2020 - 12:01 PM, said:

How do we get it recognised?

#13 Lucrezia Bauble

Posted 20 January 2020 - 02:04 PM

the legislators could try to narrow the ambit down to a list of “recognised” religions....christian, jewish, muslim, hinduism  ...but then that’s controversial as to who is left off. scientology? should they be included? if not why not? satanism? why not? i’m not sure the Big Four necessarily want a debate into who is or isn’t worthy. and even with the “christian” category - JW’s? Seventh Day Adventists?

#14 ~Jolly_F~

Posted 20 January 2020 - 03:56 PM

Isn’t there high court case law that has defined what a religion is?

I find it all so amusing. They want to be able to spout their hateful Christian views but I sure as sh*t bet as soon as some other religions order tries to use it, they will be like nah it wasn’t for you.

#15 gruidae

Posted 20 January 2020 - 04:01 PM

From the second exposure draft:

Religious belief or activity The Bill will protect against discrimination on the grounds of religious belief or activity. The term ‘religious belief or activity’ is defined broadly in the Bill as:holding or not holding a religious belief, orengaging, not engaging or refusing to engage in lawful religious activity. This definition implements Recommendation 15 of the Religious Freedom Review. It recommended that the proposed Religious Discrimination Act make it unlawful to discriminate on the basis of a person’s religious belief or activity, including on the basis that a person does not hold any religious belief.
This broad definition of religious belief or activity is necessary to ensure the religious beliefs and activities of all religions are captured by the Bill. This will also ensure that beliefs that are defined by reference to a lack of religious belief, such as atheism and agnosticism, will be protected by this Bill.

It's extremely broad. So yes, Satanists could be evangelising in the street, and participating in relgious instruction in schools, as could atheists, neopagans, secular humanists etc.

Which means your doctor could in theory tell you they'll try to summon demons to help you get well if they chose to, as opposed to being governed by the standards set by APHRA as to best practice.Too bad if you live rurally and they're only gig in town, you'll have to pony up the fuel money to get to a sane doctor in the next town.

Too late for anyone who didn't take it seriously to have a say now though, they sneakily had a very short period for submissions over Christmas during a national emergency.

#16 Cimbom

Posted 20 January 2020 - 04:02 PM

The ABS manages the classification of religions in Australia I believe

https://www.abs.gov....@.nsf/mf/1266.0

#17 purplekitty

Posted 20 January 2020 - 04:31 PM

EB Satanist Meeting.

https://www.youtube....h?v=1yEYQ16jy80

#18 CallMeFeral

Posted 20 January 2020 - 10:03 PM

View Postpurplekitty, on 20 January 2020 - 04:31 PM, said:

Perfect!
I'll bring (burnt) scones.

#19 Datrys

Posted 21 January 2020 - 07:19 AM

View PostLucrezia Bauble, on 20 January 2020 - 02:04 PM, said:

the legislators could try to narrow the ambit down to a list of “recognised” religions....christian, jewish, muslim, hinduism  ...but then that’s controversial as to who is left off. scientology? should they be included? if not why not? satanism? why not? i’m not sure the Big Four necessarily want a debate into who is or isn’t worthy. and even with the “christian” category - JW’s? Seventh Day Adventists?

There is some sort of process for being a recognised religion.  It has to do with things like who can solemnise marriages and stuff, although I know very little about how it is managed.

As for this, if we have religious freedom, it has to be for everybody.  The point is valid.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.