Spinoff - do your kids get changed after school?

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#1 Tinkle Splashes

Posted 19 January 2020 - 07:19 PM

My stepson is coming to live with us this year. In discussing the household routines, it has become apparent that our after school routine is different to what he is used to. One of the differences is changing out of school uniform after school.

So I was wondering, do your kids change after school? Is this expected or voluntary? Or do they stay in their school uniforms all day?

#2 Gumbette

Posted 19 January 2020 - 07:22 PM

The moment they walk in the door, they wash their hands and get changed before a snack.  Private school - uniforms are expensive and very uncomfortable.

#3 *BellBird*

Posted 19 January 2020 - 07:25 PM

My daughter who is 7 generally yes, will change, she is VERY fond of costume changes. But my son 9 is pretty ambivalent about clothes & just stays in his. I don’t care either way.

#4 ~Jolly_F~

Posted 19 January 2020 - 07:25 PM

It’s up to them. No hard and fast rules around here on the issue.

One ditches all clothing as soon as she is in the door.

One changes within half and hour, he is usually headed out to hang with friends.

One sometimes doesn’t change until she showers before bed or changes throughout the afternoon.

Edited by ~Jolly_F~, 19 January 2020 - 07:26 PM.

#5 SeaPrincess

Posted 19 January 2020 - 07:26 PM

If they need to wear them for more than one day, I’d say change straight away. My children ride their bikes to school and they only get one day out of their uniforms, so it makes no difference to me whether they change or not.

ETA actually it does. I prefer them not to change because they just put everything to the wash.

Edited by SeaPrincess, 19 January 2020 - 07:27 PM.

#6 Paddlepop

Posted 19 January 2020 - 07:27 PM

It's up to DD. She used to stay in her uniform until it was time to get showered. For the past year or two she's changed out of her school shirt and into a more comfortable shirt while keeping on the school shorts/skirt.

In winter I get DD to change out of the school tracksuit pants and jumper and into home ones so that she can get another day or two out of them.

#7 eachschoolholidays

Posted 19 January 2020 - 07:28 PM

My kids just wear t-shirt and shorts so they just continue wearing them until they have showers before dinner

#8 Ozquoll

Posted 19 January 2020 - 07:34 PM

DS stays in his school uniform until bedtime. Sometimes on the weekends I even have to gently suggest to him that he should put on some clothes that AREN'T navy blue 😅.

Should add, he's not a messy boy - he can often wear his school clothes several days in a row and they still look clean. He does however have a new trick where he tries to get out of hanging his clothes in the wardrobe - he says "They smell like they need a wash" and chucks them in the wash basket. Cheeky bugger 😋

Edited by Ozquoll, 19 January 2020 - 08:38 PM.

#9 Mrs Claus

Posted 19 January 2020 - 07:38 PM

Only if the have training etc otherwise in uniform until shower

#10 PocketIcikleflakes

Posted 19 January 2020 - 07:41 PM

Mine don't get changed. They are FYOS and year 3. I don't need the extra washing tbh. Exceptions are after school activities though.

#11 Elly_Bells

Posted 19 January 2020 - 07:44 PM

For some reason it annoys me intensely if mine doesn't change as soon as we get home. I am not sure why. I like to change out of my work clothes as soon as we get home so maybe it's that? But yes, he does then dump his second outfit in the wash after wearing it for 2 hours.

#12 amdirel

Posted 19 January 2020 - 07:47 PM

No rules here. I would prefer they changed so that they don't get their uniforms dirty, but I have so many other things to stress about so I don't even bother asking.
The only time I ask is if we're having something that stains for dinner for eg spag bol.
But they're out and about doing extracurricular activities most days so it's mostly not an issue anyway.

#13 Allegra99

Posted 19 January 2020 - 07:50 PM

No rules here either. They probably change half the time. I prefer it if they don’t, it means they only get one set of clothes dirty for the day!

#14 Backtoschoolchef

Posted 19 January 2020 - 07:57 PM

Ours change even though our uniforms aren't that $$$ its more about the hassle to replace if something get stained.  Their after school clothes generally get worn a couple of days if they are only in them for 3-4 hours.

Most days they have sports after school anyway so they get changed into sports uniforms or swimwear anyway

Edited by PoolsideMasterchef, 19 January 2020 - 07:57 PM.

#15 Kreme

Posted 19 January 2020 - 08:01 PM

I don’t mind either way, it doesn’t seem like something worth making a rule about IMO.

If I need them to wear a uniform for a second day and we’re having a potentially messy dinner, or I’m putting a wash on and want to include the uniforms then I’ll ask them to change but otherwise they do as they like.

#16 Bigbaubles

Posted 19 January 2020 - 08:10 PM

View PostElly_Bells, on 19 January 2020 - 07:44 PM, said:

For some reason it annoys me intensely if mine doesn't change as soon as we get home. I am not sure why. I like to change out of my work clothes as soon as we get home so maybe it's that? But yes, he does then dump his second outfit in the wash after wearing it for 2 hours.

My mum was like that too!

I think i'd be the same if mine were old enough for school uniforms. Take them off as soon as you get home.
The second I get home I shed all my clothes off ASAP!

#17 Fluffy Potatoes

Posted 19 January 2020 - 08:10 PM

Ds1 generally strips down to school shorts/undies at home. He has after school sports 3 afternoons a week so has to get changed into those uniforms.  If he was going to wear clothes I would prefer he stays in his uniform, less washing for me!

#18 .Jerry.

Posted 19 January 2020 - 08:15 PM

DD (14) changes as soon as she gets home.
If we hang the skirt up then it can be used a 2nd day no worries (good fabric).  Less washing.

I grew up changing straight after school.

Personally I change out of my work clothes (or going out clothe) as soon as I get home.  I need my comfy shorts and t-shirt for round the house.

#19 StartledFlamingo

Posted 19 January 2020 - 08:16 PM

My 7 yo tends to change 5 times a day anyway, as he likes to match his shirt to his team in the imaginary soccer of all games he plays. Plus, stupid school uniform is a collared white shirt, not very comfy.

I do require a shirt change for dinner, as he's a messy eater.

#20 PrincessPeach

Posted 19 January 2020 - 08:17 PM

Shoes off, shirt changed & hands washed.

The school shirts are difficult to remove stains from and my kid still likes to share his food with them.

ETA: i do get him to rewear the after school shirt for the week though, so its  only 1 extra shirt.

Edited by PrincessPeach, 19 January 2020 - 09:44 PM.

#21 Jersey Caramel

Posted 19 January 2020 - 08:34 PM

I started out making my DS1 change as soon as he got in from school,  so uniforms could be worn a second day.  But then realised it didn't really decrease the washing as then the play clothes needed to be washed every 2nd day or so anyway. Also he was at a public school with mostly paved playground.  The school DS2 and DS3 are at now has a huge and great playground but it includes a dusty oval,  sandpit, and tanbark - they come home FILTHY so no chance of a second wear of uniform. They change if they have swimming/soccer or want to,  but we don't have any rules.

#22 Amica

Posted 19 January 2020 - 08:35 PM

No way. I won't let them get changed. That would be 5 nextra sets of clothes a week each x 3 kids.

#23 Ellie bean

Posted 19 January 2020 - 08:38 PM

No real rules here, my 6 and 7 yo tend to wear their uniforms until bath and pj time- the uniforms need washing every day anyway so that probably saves washing extra clothes
If we are going out they change

#24 123Tree

Posted 19 January 2020 - 08:43 PM

My kids are so messy that they can never wear anything twice. So that means that I only have to wash one outfit per day each if they keep wearing it until shower time.

If clothes are clean rather than hanging them up or whatever they just chuck em on the floor and trample them until they end up in the hamper anyway so changing wouldn’t make less work.

#25 spr_maiden

Posted 19 January 2020 - 08:50 PM

It's less getting changed,  more gradually shedding clothes until walking around in underwear only here.
Unless there's an after school activity that requires particular clothing.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.