Jump to content

Melatonin (SN forum)


  • Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 IamtheMumma

Posted 20 January 2020 - 01:00 PM

The paed has given me a script for Melatonin to help DS sleep. He's also suggested buying it online as its cheaper. Can anyone recommend a good brand?

I seem to remember reading something not long ago that most brands didn't have the amount of melatonin in them that the label said. But can't recall where. I don't want to be throwing money away on junk.

#2 Ozquoll

Posted 20 January 2020 - 01:21 PM

For DS, I get the Source Naturals brand 1mg peppermint flavour pills, from iHerb.com. I quarter them to make .25mg doses, because that's all it takes to send DS to sleep.

This website is a great resource - they test a wide range of supplements for how much active ingredient they've got:

https://labdoor.com/rankings/melatonin

Edited by Ozquoll, 20 January 2020 - 01:22 PM.


#3 Gumbette

Posted 20 January 2020 - 01:24 PM

If you need a liquid - this is what we used for years.  

https://au.iherb.com...-oz-59-ml/48649


Now that they are happy to swallow a tablet:

This is now what we use for DD (11)
https://au.iherb.com...0-Tablets/69077

For DS (7)
https://au.iherb.com...00-tablets/8738

Site was recommended by our developmental paediatrician.

ETA sorry - we use slow release for DS too

Edited by Grinchette, 20 January 2020 - 09:54 PM.


#4 amdirel

Posted 20 January 2020 - 04:04 PM

We use the Natrol brand that PP linked to except we get the slow release tablets. The kids say it works the same as the prescription one we used to get.

#5 IamtheMumma

Posted 21 January 2020 - 09:29 PM

Thank you.

DS had his first dose and he was asleep within 5 mins of us going to bed. It was about an hour after he took the tablet. I am amazed. I hope it isn't a fluke.

#6 Prancer is coming

Posted 21 January 2020 - 10:20 PM

Isn’t it amazing!  My kid has only been on it for 2 months and I did not even think his sleep was that bad, it was the paed who wanted him on it, I didn’t ask!  My kid is out like a light within 30-60 minutes and it no longer takes a hour or two for him to fall asleep.  Fabulous!  So i don’t think it is a fluke.

My kid has the liquid. I had heard iherb is good to order from.  My bottle of about 100ml cost me $65 and I thought I would look at cheaper options.  Whilst the dose says 1-2ml, turns out .5 or less is all her needs, so the price is not that bad after all.  Plus I think I would pay 100 times that if it meant easy bedtimes!

#7 Gumbette

Posted 21 January 2020 - 10:23 PM

DD’s been that way since we started her at 3.  She’s almost 12, in fact we were able to lower the dose once she started school. Fingers crossed it keeps going well.

#8 Gumbette

Posted 21 January 2020 - 10:26 PM

View PostPrancer is coming, on 21 January 2020 - 10:20 PM, said:


My kid has the liquid. I had heard iherb is good to order from.  My bottle of about 100ml cost me $65 and I thought I would look at cheaper options.  Whilst the dose says 1-2ml, turns out .5 or less is all her needs, so the price is not that bad after all.  Plus I think I would pay 100 times that if it meant easy bedtimes!

We used the liquid from iherb when DS was younger $60 vs $18 - but I fully agree, money was no object!

#9 Kiwi Bicycle

Posted 22 January 2020 - 07:43 AM

I have tried the Zarbee gummies from iHerb. Yes, DS fell asleep within 25- 30 mins as advertised but it hasn't extended his sleep either, he just woke up after the same time asleep ( paed suggested trying it to make bedtime earlier so he gets more sleep, but nope, same amount of time).
I tried them myself, made me feel woozy, but did help a little with my insomnia and did eventually go to sleep  
Would a different brand have better results (longer sleep) or is this all melatonin will do?

#10 FuzzyChocolateToes

Posted 22 January 2020 - 11:07 AM

I would be inclined to try the prescription melatonin from Australia Kiwi Bicycle. Vitamin type products are not well regulated in the USA. The dose of melatonin in that brand may not be what they claim. We get ours from Woods pharmacy at the RCH.

#11 Kiwi Bicycle

Posted 22 January 2020 - 11:59 AM

View PostFuzzyChocolateToes, on 22 January 2020 - 11:07 AM, said:

I would be inclined to try the prescription melatonin from Australia Kiwi Bicycle. Vitamin type products are not well regulated in the USA. The dose of melatonin in that brand may not be what they claim. We get ours from Woods pharmacy at the RCH.

Thanks. He did give me a scriot but reccommended iHerb first. I think I will try something more reliable.

#12 Gumbette

Posted 22 January 2020 - 12:36 PM

View PostKiwi Bicycle, on 22 January 2020 - 07:43 AM, said:

I have tried the Zarbee gummies from iHerb. Yes, DS fell asleep within 25- 30 mins as advertised but it hasn't extended his sleep either, he just woke up after the same time asleep ( paed suggested trying it to make bedtime earlier so he gets more sleep, but nope, same amount of time).
I tried them myself, made me feel woozy, but did help a little with my insomnia and did eventually go to sleep  
Would a different brand have better results (longer sleep) or is this all melatonin will do?

I had the same problem when I tried these.  
https://au.iherb.com...-Softgels/32092

Not all brands are made equal. I now use Natrol - same brand as the kids as they work great.

#13 Kiwi Bicycle

Posted 22 January 2020 - 04:32 PM

View PostGrinchette, on 22 January 2020 - 12:36 PM, said:



I had the same problem when I tried these.  
https://au.iherb.com...-Softgels/32092

Not all brands are made equal. I now use Natrol - same brand as the kids as they work great.

Thanks but he's prescribed 2mg.

#14 IamtheMumma

Posted 01 February 2020 - 03:10 AM

Well, it no longer works.

First night was awesome. Second night was within 30 mins of taking the tablet. Same the next. Then it took 1, 2hrs and now we’re back to taking 3+ hrs to go to sleep.

The melatonin is from a compounding chemist.

Edited by IamtheMumma, 01 February 2020 - 03:11 AM.


#15 Ozquoll

Posted 01 February 2020 - 08:16 AM

^^^ Bugger 😟

Is anxiety a possible factor? My young niece (with ASD/ADHD) used to have prolonged wake ups for hours every night, like from 1-3am, every single night 😱. It nearly broke her poor mum. Her paed. put her on Lovan for anxiety, and that has stopped the midnight waking. She still uses melatonin to get her to sleep in the first place.

#16 IamtheMumma

Posted 01 February 2020 - 09:11 AM

He woke at 4 this morning.

I don't know. I think he is keeping himself awake. He goes quiet for a while and I think "Yes" but then he'll start shaking his legs or he'll twitch and start mucking around.

Maybe I'm leaving too big of a gap between tablet and bed. He's so hungry in the evening due to not eating all day, so its one big feast that seems to take 90 mins. I'm going to turn the tv off and limit food to 30 mins so we can be in bed within an hour of the tablet. See what happens.




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

 
 
Advertisement
 

Top 5 Viewed Articles

 
Advertisement
 
 
 
Advertisement
 
 
Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.