Board games for 10yo girl

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 k-ko

Posted 20 January 2020 - 04:32 PM

I’m sussing out afew options for my dd. Can anyone recommend good games for this age group that will keep them interested. We have cluedo which she enjoys. We have monopoly, 5 second rule which she has grown out of.
I’m looking at possibly; catan, sequence, jumanji.

Can anyone recommend others..??
Thankyou!!

#2 Mrs Claus

Posted 20 January 2020 - 04:40 PM

Game of life

#3 Not Escapin Xmas

Posted 20 January 2020 - 04:46 PM

Cards not boards, but Spot it, Butterco, UNO are big hits ar out place.

#4 PuddingPlease

Posted 20 January 2020 - 04:50 PM

I'd struggle to think of a better board game for big kids to play with adults than Settlers of Catan. It really is a remarkable game. We used to play a card game called Fluxx a few years ago that might be fun too, a quick google search suggests it's still available.

Also - I presume this is a bit obvious but, does she know how to play Chess yet?

Edited by PuddingPlease, 20 January 2020 - 04:52 PM.

#5 Bereckii

Posted 20 January 2020 - 05:09 PM

Pandemic

Forbidden Island

^^ both strategy games

DD(11) played Sushi Go for the first time yesterday and enjoyed it.

UNO Flip

#6 notsoretro

Posted 20 January 2020 - 05:11 PM

Qwirkle

#7 Fourteenyears

Posted 20 January 2020 - 05:16 PM

They’re growing out of Game of Life by ten.

my ten year old and her friends like:

Exploding Kittens, Ticket to Ride, Catan.  As a family we like playing 7 Wonders, but it it complex enough to require an adult to play through with kids the first few times.

She quite likes sushi go but some of her friends don’t.

But the current favourite in her group, which is 10-12 year old girls is Dixit.

#8 CrankyM

Posted 20 January 2020 - 05:18 PM

So my kids favourites are a mix of card and board games.
Dragonrealm and Dragonwood (card and dice with figurines is dragon realm. Dragonwood is the simpler card and dice one. Both are fun)
Tatsu (only 2 player)
Man bites dog (card)
Mystery of the temple (card)
Azul (simple and so so pretty)

Catan is one I have my eye on but my kids are not quiet to tolerating long game play yet.

#9 JRA

Posted 20 January 2020 - 05:18 PM

Blokus and othello are great. Easy at the start but as a person matures there is so much to them

#10 just roses

Posted 20 January 2020 - 05:19 PM

My 9.5 and 12.5 year olds absolutely love Splendour (excellent strategy game that’s easy to pick up and very fun to play) and Ticket to Ride (the cut down New York version is great for kids)

#11 Bigbaubles

Posted 20 January 2020 - 05:31 PM

Pandemic, Catan (either jr or full versions), game of life, ticket to ride, exploding kittens (sensored version), maybe balderdash? We have a really great modern version of trivial pursuit which is a hit.

#12 LucyGoose

Posted 20 January 2020 - 05:37 PM

Sequence.  We played last night with my almost 10 yr old.   It’s our fave.
We also have exploding kittens which we all like.

#13 beccaj

Posted 20 January 2020 - 06:31 PM

Unstable unicorns & ticket to ride

#14 k-ko

Posted 20 January 2020 - 06:53 PM

So many options!!!!
Thankyou so much!!!

#15 RynandStompy

Posted 20 January 2020 - 09:09 PM

Another option, check out Jackbox TV and the Drawful 2 game. It's hugely fun from about age 8 up,..everyone can be average at drawing but need to also be able to spell and type captions.

https://jackboxgames.com/drawful-two/

You need internet connection, main screen and players draw from their own device.
We play as a family, when DD (age 9) has friends over and also regularly over skype with inlaw family overseas.

#16 Prancer is coming

Posted 20 January 2020 - 09:39 PM

We like sequence.  And bonus is it does not go on forever!

We like cards too - phase 10 and skip bo are good.

#17 AdelTwins

Posted 20 January 2020 - 10:00 PM

The Grimm Forest
The Grimm Masquerade
Takenoko
Pandemic
Forbidden Island
Flash Point: Fire Rescue
Camel Up (2nd edition)
Splendor
ICECOOL
Sushi Go Party!
Rhino Hero
Santorini
Potion Explosion (2nd edition)
Unstable Unicorns
Carcassonne
Ticket to Ride

Longer games:
Stuffed Fables
Everdell
Disney Villainous
Photosynthesis

#18 niban

Posted 20 January 2020 - 10:16 PM

Sequence for sure!

Kingdomino
Takenoko
Ticket to Ride
Forbidden Island/Desert

#19 Flamincrows

Posted 20 January 2020 - 11:46 PM

DD10 currently enjoys playing;

Cluedo
Ticket to Ride
Settlers of Catan
Mario Monopoly
Camel Cup
King of Tokyo
Family Feud ( loves being host, introvert usually)

Plus two classics;
Battleships
Scattergories

#20 lozoodle

Posted 30 January 2020 - 08:53 PM

Mine love scattegories at the moment

#21 Froggilicious

Posted 30 January 2020 - 09:06 PM

View PostBereckii, on 20 January 2020 - 05:09 PM, said:

Pandemic

Forbidden Island

^^ both strategy games

And have the benefit of being cooperative, so you win together or loose together, which is great in our house full of sore losers.

My kids love sequence, my eldest is 7 but its a great game to play together.

#22 Froggilicious

Posted 30 January 2020 - 09:07 PM

View PostRynandStompy, on 20 January 2020 - 09:09 PM, said:

Another option, check out Jackbox TV and the Drawful 2 game. It's hugely fun from about age 8 up,..everyone can be average at drawing but need to also be able to spell and type captions.

https://jackboxgames.com/drawful-two/

You need internet connection, main screen and players draw from their own device.
We play as a family, when DD (age 9) has friends over and also regularly over skype with inlaw family overseas.
What a great idea for forging relationships via distance.

#23 Dianalynch

Posted 30 January 2020 - 09:15 PM

Seems a bit obvious, but scrabble?
ds loves catan, and there’s add ons so once they master the initial game it just gets bigger and better

#24 MadMarchMasterchef

Posted 30 January 2020 - 09:50 PM

My 9 yo likes Yahtzee, draughts and Chinese checkers.

#25 RynandStompy

Posted 31 January 2020 - 12:21 AM

View PostFroggilicious, on 30 January 2020 - 09:07 PM, said:

What a great idea for forging relationships via distance.

Yeah it's fun when we do multi location skype as if its a corporate video conference. But the thumbnail screens are family in different lounges in NZ and us in Aus. And main screen isn't a presentation but is the game. The joking is fun as everyone joins (someone always dials in late or needs to fix their screen, just like a work call).

The kids love the family jokes and banter of the game, especially when we have 3 generations on. Because we're doing something together and talking and laughing, DD feels more connected than if was purely a chat call. But we do those too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.