Pet store?!

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 1ds1dd

Posted 21 January 2020 - 07:46 AM

I took my daughter shopping in Sydney yesterday and came across a large pet store inside Chatswood Mall that sold puppies and kittens! WTH??? Am I the only person that thought that this wasn't a thing anywhere anymore?
These little ( not quite right looking!) animals were in glass cages or a pen with sides so low kids could reach in and poke and prod them! I seriously cant believe that people can be still so uneducated or do so little research on the best way to buy/adopt a pet nowdays!
Are there many petstores like this still around?

1ds1dd

#2 born.a.girl

Posted 21 January 2020 - 07:50 AM

They weren't from a shelter, were they?

Many pet shops in Melbourne work in conjunction with the RSPCA.

#3 **Xena**

Posted 21 January 2020 - 07:52 AM

It's illegal in Victoria. I don't think it is anywhere else but in Tas none of the pet shops sell anything other than fish, birds, rabbits, guinea pigs and rodents. They will sometimes sell cats but only in conjunction with the local cat shelter.

The laws also changed here in Tas to say that all cats/kittens being sold or given away legally have to be microchipped, desexed and vaccinated.

Edited by **Xena**, 21 January 2020 - 08:27 AM.

#4 kimasa

Posted 21 January 2020 - 07:58 AM

born.a.girl, on 21 January 2020 - 07:50 AM, said:

They weren't from a shelter, were they?

Many pet shops in Melbourne work in conjunction with the RSPCA.

Other shelters too. My aunt works with a cat rescue that has cats on display at some Petbarn stores.

#5 Caribou

Posted 21 January 2020 - 08:01 AM

There's a pet store inside Westfield in western Sydney that still sells puppies and cats, rabbits, birds etc and they're not rescue as far as I am aware.

There is a competing pet store in same Westfield that sells animals but they clearly signpost it's in conjunction with RSPCA.

It's frowned on in NSW but not illegal as far as I know.

#6 ~Jolly_F~

Posted 21 January 2020 - 08:04 AM

Our local does that but they are from the RSPCA and a couple of tiger rescue groups. So it is a good way to adopt a pet.

Probably pays to check into who is behind the selling before being outraged.

Edited by ~Jolly_F~, 21 January 2020 - 08:05 AM.

#7 NannyPlumPudding

Posted 21 January 2020 - 08:07 AM

Our local one has cats from the cat rescue and regular dog adoption drives (different rescues on different days).

I think it's smart of the rescues! I would totally impulse buy a cute kitty or dog if I fell in love with it whilst buying biscuits 😂🙊 (okay I wouldn't, but I would be very tempted of I was in a position to!)

#8 SummerStar

Posted 21 January 2020 - 08:31 AM

It's not illegal in NSW still. It's really sad. And one of the biggest pet shops in Sydney got the go ahead to build their own puppy farm so they can churn out those oodle messes in bulk for pure profit cutting out the middle man.

So given they got approved for that I don't think we will see the end to pet shops selling puppies and kittens for some time.

The Chatswood one in question is not selling rescues they sell BYB and puppy farm dogs.

Edited by SummerStar, 21 January 2020 - 08:32 AM.

#9 spr_maiden

Posted 21 January 2020 - 09:25 AM

There's one in a nearby shopping centre, not related to RSPCA or rescues. A few weeks before Xmas it was packed as we walked by. It's horrid and a reminder of the plague that humans are.

#10 seayork2002

Posted 21 January 2020 - 09:29 AM

The one closest to me has animals from shelters for sale (NSW)

#11 amdirel

Posted 21 January 2020 - 10:57 AM

I've got 2 pet stores nearby, one in Westfield. The other is definitely puppy mill connected as far as I can see. And yes there is another big one in Sydney that Summerstar mentioned that built it's own puppy farm that they insist is not a puppy farm.

#12 SeaPrincess

Posted 21 January 2020 - 11:17 AM

Our closest pet shop has kittens and cats of all ages from a rescue organisation. We always look, but our own cat (who was a rescue) is not particularly friendly to other cats.

#13 blimkybill

Posted 21 January 2020 - 12:08 PM

That one in Chatswood has puppy farm crossbreeds. It's nasty, I am always surprised when I see it that noone is out there protesting,  and heaps of people are in there patting the dogs.

#14 Jersey Caramel

Posted 21 January 2020 - 01:47 PM

Westfield Hornsby has a pet shop with puppies too. The puppies are all -oodles so presumably from puppy mills/BYBs, but the kittens are from rescue organisations.

#15 marple

Posted 21 January 2020 - 01:59 PM

That store has been there for years in CHatswood. The prices are ridiculous, putting aside the ethical concerns. They are always asking for shredded paper. My neighbour almost bought one before being talked out of it by his partner - it was a wee scrap with a snub nose for $2800.
I think it's nice that they get patted, they must be bored out of their minds.
I'm also surprised they haven't been closed down.
The other place people are referring to is the one in Kellyville I think.

#16 PrincessPeach

Posted 21 January 2020 - 02:48 PM

There are a couple here in qld that still sellfrom non-rescue operations. I wont even buy fish food from them in protest.

The 2 Pet barns near us have cats, but they are from the local shelter & are clearly marked as such. Never seen dogs in them.

#17 Oriental lily

Posted 21 January 2020 - 02:57 PM

In vic trading post there are heaps of puppies being sold from Queensland petshops . They just fly them down . Then there is all the online oodle farms with their glossy websites .

so even though it’s illegal now in Victoria to sell from a shopfront . It’s done zero to stop the exploitation of dogs .

some sites even offer afterpay !

plus the biggest cause of dog overpopulation is backyard breeders who who don’t desex their b**ches. All those ‘staffie Xs ‘ and kelpie xs that are in rescue don’t come from pet shops or puppy farms .

They come from irresponsible pet owners .

#18 steppy

Posted 21 January 2020 - 03:02 PM

I hope desexing is mandatory for everyone except serious breeders and working dogs that are actually working dogs soon.

#19 1ds1dd

Posted 21 January 2020 - 03:39 PM

~Jolly_F~, on 21 January 2020 - 08:04 AM, said:

Our local does that but they are from the RSPCA and a couple of tiger rescue groups. So it is a good way to adopt a pet.

Probably pays to check into who is behind the selling before being outraged.
Probably pays to comment a little more nicely lest  you come off sounding like a online bully.
"Occasionally rescue groups sell animals via a pet shop, maybe this is what you saw?"
Wasn't hard, was it?

Edited by 1ds1dd, 21 January 2020 - 03:40 PM.

#20 Aj-n-Al

Posted 21 January 2020 - 07:31 PM

I know at least a couple up here work with rescue groups and RSPCA, i must admit I like it, its educational, raises awareness and the kids and I say hello to the animals.
We do have another thst I think may do private sales to, although I'm not 100% sure just know they advertise in coming usually designer pups.
Then we had a 3rd, who I think have stopped now which is kind of sad.  They took from local people and sold but with the condition the parent animal was desexed as part of the deal, wouldnt accept the bubs until vets confirmed the booking. I thought that was a brillant idea.

#21 ~Jolly_F~

Posted 21 January 2020 - 07:37 PM

1ds1dd, on 21 January 2020 - 03:39 PM, said:

Probably pays to comment a little more nicely lest  you come off sounding like a online bully.
"Occasionally rescue groups sell animals via a pet shop, maybe this is what you saw?"
Wasn't hard, was it?

Are you for real?

My post was perfectly nice. If you chose to assume anything else that is on you but it’s hardly online bullying and claiming it is just minimises real bullying.

#22 1ds1dd

Posted 21 January 2020 - 08:10 PM

~Jolly_F~, on 21 January 2020 - 07:37 PM, said:

Are you for real?

My post was perfectly nice. If you chose to assume anything else that is on you but it’s hardly online bullying and claiming it is just minimises real bullying.
Absolutely, reads like snark. I thought it was unnecessarily rude. My opinion, it's allowed.

#23 ~Jolly_F~

Posted 21 January 2020 - 08:14 PM

1ds1dd, on 21 January 2020 - 08:10 PM, said:

Absolutely, reads like snark. I thought it was unnecessarily rude. My opinion, it's allowed.

There was no snark intended when it was posted! Im sorry you think there was but it most certainly wasnt a snarky comment from my end.

Edited by ~Jolly_F~, 21 January 2020 - 08:15 PM.

#24 1ds1dd

Posted 21 January 2020 - 08:29 PM

~Jolly_F~, on 21 January 2020 - 08:14 PM, said:

There was no snark intended when it was posted! Im sorry you think there was but it most certainly wasnt a snarky comment from my end.
Thank you, I appreciate you saying that.

Edited by 1ds1dd, 21 January 2020 - 08:30 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.