Easing into exercise

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Mrs Claus

Posted 21 January 2020 - 04:53 PM

Ds (11) needs to get fit for his chosen sport (lots of running) but is a bit like me and doesn’t want to. He wants to BE fit, but doesn’t want to do the hard yards. I said I’d join him but other then walking-have never really  been fit/enjoyed exercise. Can anyone point me in the right direction of where to start so we can both ease into it but with the ability to increase as we get fitter. Happy to follow a program but don’t really want to splash out a lot of $$.

Thanks

#2 just roses

Posted 21 January 2020 - 05:03 PM

I think swimming would be perfect! It’s something you can do together and doesn’t require much equipment. It also works your whole body and is good for endurance and cardio.

#3 Dadto2

Posted 21 January 2020 - 05:03 PM

What about starting with park runs? They are good fun. There should be one in your area.

#4 PrincessPeach

Posted 21 January 2020 - 05:05 PM

View PostDadto2, on 21 January 2020 - 05:03 PM, said:

What about starting with park runs? They are good fun. There should be one in your area.

Seconding this - all done at your own pace & you are only there to better your own time.

Have quite a few friends who do this.

Swimming/cycling are good low impact options if you have joint concerns.

#5 Mrs Claus

Posted 21 January 2020 - 05:07 PM

View Postjust roses, on 21 January 2020 - 05:03 PM, said:

I think swimming would be perfect! It’s something you can do together and doesn’t require much equipment. It also works your whole body and is good for endurance and cardio.

Swimming probably would be perfect.... closest pool is 45 mins away unfortunately.

#6 Not Escapin Xmas

Posted 21 January 2020 - 05:17 PM

If he needs to get running, then don’t take up swimming! Take up running! Lots of people have success with the ‘Couch to 5k’ program, so I’d start there.

#7 Ruf~Feral~es

Posted 21 January 2020 - 05:32 PM

I was thinking Couch to 5k as well.  If he has an ipod or similar, just a pair of headphones and head to the park together.  You could do it too, but each at your own pace.  

I did it a few years ago, and DD did it when she was around 12. She didn't stick with it for long, but probably would have if I'd been doing it with her.

#8 Froyohoho

Posted 21 January 2020 - 05:57 PM

Walk and add bursts of jogging, gradually increasing as your fitness builds. I worked my way up to a half marathon that way. FWIW it worked better for me to do it at my own pace rather than follow C25K or similar.

#9 just roses

Posted 21 January 2020 - 06:41 PM

View PostNot Escapin Xmas, on 21 January 2020 - 05:17 PM, said:

If he needs to get running, then don’t take up swimming! Take up running! Lots of people have success with the ‘Couch to 5k’ program, so I’d start there.
That’s true.

For some reason the OP read to me as looking for exercise other than running. But running does make sense and it has the benefit too of being easy, cheap and you see results fast.

OP, do you have Park Run nearby?

#10 rileys-mum

Posted 21 January 2020 - 11:56 PM

you can be fit and not a runner. If he needs to run for his sport then he needs to get fit running. DS and I go to the park. He runs, I walk, he records his times and attempts to beat them. He then jumps on monkey bars and does step ups on the benches.

#11 Crap Napper

Posted 22 January 2020 - 05:27 AM

Another beginner running app alternative would be Zombies, Run! Same walk-run intervals as C25K, but with entertainment thrown in.

Just as an aside, my son is a swimmer, I run. I can't keep up with his swimming, and he can't run with me.

#12 Prancer is coming

Posted 22 January 2020 - 06:41 AM

I agree with park runs.  You can always start by getting him to run for as long as he can and then trying to go a bit further the next week.  At 11, it is ok for him to run by himself at park run.

I did couch to 5k last year and recommend that.  When you are building up, once a week probably isn’t enough.  I love thst I can run 5k now, even though all my kids can outrun me.  It also means I am into park run and want to attend.  If I stayed home or walked, i imagine it is easy for the kid to want to join you.  So I really recommend both getting into it if you can.

#13 Lifesgood

Posted 22 January 2020 - 07:07 AM

Couch to 5K as mentioned by PPs. It’s so straightforward. I’ve done it with my DD and DS

Edited by Lifesgood, 22 January 2020 - 07:08 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.