I want a dog, but...

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#1 Minka1313

Posted 23 January 2020 - 11:45 AM

Hi All,

I would love to get a dog. I had cats growing up but never had a dog. I would love for my kids to have a dog, but!

* I am concerned that we will be away from home too long during the day. Both work full time so the dog would be alone for up to 10-12 hours.

* My kids are only 3 and 5 so are they too young for a pet? Obviously I would be feeding etc.

* I wouldn't be able to go for a walk everyday and I don't know if my back yard would be big enough.

I don't know if it would be fair to get a dog just because I want one?

#2 Jackrabbit

Posted 23 January 2020 - 11:57 AM

I want a dog too, but my husband says no. I want a dog because I can't have a cat, because my husband is allergic. Maybe I need a new husband.

#3 Ruf~Feral~es

Posted 23 January 2020 - 11:58 AM

We are in a similar position, but older kids.  (14/15).  And I would desperately love a dog.  Actually, 2 Whippets is my dream, so they can keep each other company.

We always had dogs, up until our last one died around 8 years ago.  We were about to build a new house and had to rent for 18 months, so decided to wait until after that.

Once all was said and done, we eventually decided against it.  Even though the kids desperately want one, and I know they would walk it regularly - when they could.

Ultimately, we are out of the house from 7.30am until around 5-7pm, depending on extra-curricular activities.  That is just not fair on a dog, even a sedentary type.  All dogs need company, love, and exercise, and a couple of rushed hours between coming home and bed time are not enough.  

I also wouldn't want to get a puppy and leave it alone so much, but also wouldn't want a rescue older dog and again leave it alone so much.

Sorry, but I don't think it's fair.  As much as we have wanted and planned for a dog since we lost our last one, we made that decision too.

#4 rowd

Posted 23 January 2020 - 12:27 PM

I wouldn't get one in those circumstances. We got our dog when our first was just a baby and in hindsight it wasn't the right choice for us. I am home 80% of the time, but little kids just doesn't leave us with as much time as our dog deserves. In saying that, little kids and dogs can be the best of friends, and I do love seeing that relationship grow.

If your heart is really set on a dog, would you consider doggy daycare a few days a week and maybe paying a dog walker a couple of times per week too?

#5 melanieb530

Posted 23 January 2020 - 12:37 PM

Not fair on the dog in that situation I think.

#6 MsLaurie

Posted 23 January 2020 - 12:39 PM

Maybe give it a couple more years? When the kids are both in school they’ll be that bit more able to help with walks and playing etc.
I’m desperate for a Labrador, but with the little one only just gone one, I think we’re a few years away from a dog being a happy addition, rather than just a source of more work.

#7 seayork2002

Posted 23 January 2020 - 12:40 PM

I was never a dog person at all till a couple of years ago, we live in a unit but was going to move (then) and get a dog, we are not now as we both work FT and probably will now till DS leaves highschool (in Y7 now) so no I do not want the dog home alone all that time.

We may move and get a cat but I am not sure I want a cat home alone for that amount of time either

#8 Kallie88

Posted 23 January 2020 - 12:43 PM

I'd love to get a puppy (we do have 1 dog, she's 10yo now) but won't for similar reasons, even though I'm mostly home atm we've got 3 young kids and another on the way so I won't be able to dedicate the time to training and caring for it. I'm not sure when it'll happen now, since when the kids are bigger we should both be working full time, but I guess when the time is right it'll happen.

#9 #YKG

Posted 23 January 2020 - 12:47 PM

Honestly in your circumstances I wouldn’t get a dog, they can get destructive and noise if bored and or lonely.

Being gone 10-12 hours a day is a lot, that with not being walked daily is a recipe for disaster.

The kids ages wouldn’t be a concern TBH, but the amount of time the dog would be alone would be.

I know some people gone for long periods during the day pay dog walkers, the one in my area charges $45 per hour. That gets expensive over a week for daily walks.

Edited by #YKG, 23 January 2020 - 12:50 PM.

#10 Ozquoll

Posted 23 January 2020 - 12:50 PM

View Postmelanieb530, on 23 January 2020 - 12:37 PM, said:

Not fair on the dog in that situation I think.
Nor the neighbours, if the poor dog howls or barks when it's lonely 😞.

#11 Not Escapin Xmas

Posted 23 January 2020 - 01:10 PM

I think you either get 2 small ones so they can keep each other company or choose a different animal. We recently babysat a rabbit for 3 weeks. Was so impossibly cute and lots of fun. So that's another option. Although, similarly, you need to get 2 if you're not going to be home that much.

#12 Caribou

Posted 23 January 2020 - 01:15 PM

I want a dog, but my lifestyle doesn't allow for this. While There is typically someone home, when we travel for holidays we go away for weeks at times. I can't see a dog being too happy with this.

Dogs are usually social creatures. If we got one, we'd get a pair so they had company for when we were out of the house cos I'm not one of those people who think it's fine to take their dog into IKEA or Bunnings.

So we have a cat. The cat sleeps. The cat is happy. The cat doesn't need walking either.

#13 Ozquoll

Posted 23 January 2020 - 01:17 PM

View PostNot Escapin Xmas, on 23 January 2020 - 01:10 PM, said:

I think you either get 2 small ones so they can keep each other company or choose a different animal. We recently babysat a rabbit for 3 weeks. Was so impossibly cute and lots of fun. So that's another option. Although, similarly, you need to get 2 if you're not going to be home that much.
Good idea - bunnies are perfect pets for little kids. Found some inspo here, although a bit stunned at the $380 price per rabbit!
https://www.beksbunnies.com

#14 kitkatswing

Posted 23 January 2020 - 01:22 PM

Definitely not a good idea. Alone for 10-12 hours, not walked every day..  Not good circumstances for a doggo....

#15 just roses

Posted 23 January 2020 - 01:31 PM

I definitely wouldn’t get a puppy in your circumstances, but an older dog *may* potentially be suitable. The catch there, though, is that it may not be used to young children.

Our whippet is home alone between 8 and 3:30 daily. He’s indoors and does nothing but move from the couch to bed to couch. He doesn’t need a walk every day but he does need a good run around every day. He’s delightfully lazy and affectionate. Loves nothing better than a hug and a snooze. Very low maintenance, too.

#16 Oriental lily

Posted 23 January 2020 - 01:50 PM

A greyhound might be possible . They are couch potatoes . Need minimum exercise other than the occasional run about . Many are very self reliant . Look it up . They are  very cat like . They are becoming the breed of choice for  busy working families . Plus you will be rescuing one from the green dream .

#17 jayskette

Posted 23 January 2020 - 02:11 PM

my dog is alone for 10-12hrs a day (has cats for company), gets walked twice a week and is ok so far. he is also old and tiny.

#18 Hollycoddle

Posted 23 January 2020 - 02:15 PM

View PostOzquoll, on 23 January 2020 - 01:17 PM, said:

Good idea - bunnies are perfect pets for little kids. Found some inspo here, although a bit stunned at the $380 price per rabbit!
https://www.beksbunnies.com

Rabbits can get neglected too.  I've been talked into it a few times since my kids were born but I refuse to get them again as the novelty quickly wore off (as well as the novelty of picking up rabbit poo and replacing chewed cords when inside).  They ended up in the hutch all the time and that's just cruel.  My eldest son got 2 for his birthday in August, in September one got out and I let the other one out as I thought it was crueller to keep them in the cage.  Neighbours probably not happy as they're likely eating their gardens.  They both come back every morning to hang out in the chookyard when I feed the chooks.  Which, by the way, make great pets if you have the space.

Edited by Hollycoddle, 23 January 2020 - 02:16 PM.

#19 blimkybill

Posted 23 January 2020 - 02:31 PM

View Postjust roses, on 23 January 2020 - 01:31 PM, said:

I definitely wouldn’t get a puppy in your circumstances, but an older dog *may* potentially be suitable. The catch there, though, is that it may not be used to young children.

Our whippet is home alone between 8 and 3:30 daily. He’s indoors and does nothing but move from the couch to bed to couch. He doesn’t need a walk every day but he does need a good run around every day. He’s delightfully lazy and affectionate. Loves nothing better than a hug and a snooze. Very low maintenance, too.
There's a big difference between 7.5 hours a day alone, and 10-12 hours alone.
10-12 hours alone per day with fairly minimal attention afterwards and no regular walks is not fair on the dog and I would definitely not get a dog in those circumstances.

there may be a time in your family's life when people are around more and could walk it and spend more tie with it. eg when your kids are in high school, or if you change your work habits. But otherwise, no. Dogs like human company and they need their walks.

#20 DaLittleEd

Posted 23 January 2020 - 02:42 PM

View PostOriental lily, on 23 January 2020 - 01:50 PM, said:

A greyhound might be possible . They are couch potatoes . Need minimum exercise other than the occasional run about . Many are very self reliant . Look it up . They are  very cat like . They are becoming the breed of choice for  busy working families . Plus you will be rescuing one from the green dream .

We just adopted a greyhound. She is a lovely dog, but contrary to popular belief needs a good solid hour walk a day, of which 20 minutes is off leash running. Otherwise she gets rather destructive when we go out, and that's with me mostly at home, the dog hasn't been left for more than 3 hours at a time.

Additionally, many greyhounds suffer separation anxiety. You would be hard pressed to find a kid friendly greyhound that's also okay being left for 10-12 hours a day. It could possibly work if you got a pair, but would must likely need a bigger car to fit them in.

#21 **Xena**

Posted 23 January 2020 - 02:45 PM

Ferrets might also be an option. They have very similar temperaments to dogs in many ways but they sleep a lot, especialy during the day. If you get two they will also happily entertain each other. I would wait until the kids are a bit older though as they can be hurt by overenthusiastic kids.

ETA: They are illegal for some unknown reason in Queensland though, so not an option if you live there.

Edited by **Xena**, 23 January 2020 - 02:46 PM.

#22 No girls here

Posted 23 January 2020 - 02:46 PM

In your circumstances I would probably get a cat

#23 MuffinQueen

Posted 23 January 2020 - 02:47 PM

Maybe you could volunteer at a rescue centre to get your 'dog fix'? or foster one over a long weekend?  Or find a neighbour with a dog that needs to be walked?

We have a dog - but I work from home.  She's walked twice a day every day and up until about 3 years of age she was a lot of work and has cost us thousands of dollars in medical care and fencing.  She comes on holidays with us and really is a big part of our family.

#24 IamtheMumma

Posted 23 January 2020 - 02:51 PM

I'd love a dog too but for all the reasons you've listed, I'm not getting one. It wouldn't be fair to the dog.

#25 Dianalynch

Posted 23 January 2020 - 03:19 PM

greyhounds are generally couch potatoes, but they also like company, they can be nervous types, i wouldn't get a dog, even a couch potato dog, in your situation.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.