Tablecloth or runner and placemats?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Murderino

Posted 23 January 2020 - 08:23 PM

I’ve taken the plunge and will be selling my house. I don’t have a lot of stuff so decluttering is simple, it’s new so clean is easy (the main bathroom is sparkling and mine and the kitchen will be shortly) but I have old placemats that I haven’t updated till the kids stop spilling!

Now I’m thinking I will get new placemats and a table runner to make up the table and I’ve been looking online tonight and am seeing tablecloths which I thought were pretty outdated.

So EB style wizards placemats OR tablecloth?

#2 timtam92

Posted 23 January 2020 - 08:28 PM

Neither. Just a nice vase of flowers

#3 Murderino

Posted 23 January 2020 - 08:30 PM

I thought I had to style it with napery! I’m so bad at this stuff.

#4 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 23 January 2020 - 08:44 PM

Nothing. Maybe a Simple centrepiece. Like these
https://stylecurator...being-eaten-at/

Table clothes and place mats just add clutter

#5 Dianalynch

Posted 23 January 2020 - 08:52 PM

Agree no napery, a lovely bowl with lemons or green apples or a vase of flowers will look fresh and uncluttered

#6 Murderino

Posted 23 January 2020 - 08:56 PM

Oh thanks LM I like that. I have an eight seat table and a large vase so a big bouquet like in one of those pics might look really nice I think.

I also have a huge bench so I might put a smaller vase and similar flowers in that?

#7 Murderino

Posted 23 January 2020 - 09:09 PM

Feel free to say figure it out yourself!

BUT I’m thinking like this (with fruit in the fruit bowl)

Attached File  1A710792-946E-4433-8F7C-F3902135A1D7.jpeg   94.33K   300 downloads

Attached File  2C8D37CA-FA0C-49C2-AC5A-7E760A2BD697.jpeg   95.13K   286 downloads

#8 timtam92

Posted 24 January 2020 - 05:46 AM

Leave the bench free. Flowers on the table will look great

#9 a letter to Elise.

Posted 24 January 2020 - 06:45 AM

Vase on travel with large arrangement. Leave off the bench.

#10 JustCurious100

Posted 24 January 2020 - 07:31 AM

OT but I really like your table and chairs!

#11 Murderino

Posted 24 January 2020 - 08:30 AM

Ha thanks. Freedom Furniture about four years old. It’s great as it can seat eight but I’ve taken two chairs away for the time being.

#12 ~Jolly_F~

Posted 24 January 2020 - 08:35 AM

Nothing on the bench.

Personally I would do a table runner. I think it looks too woody with just a vase myself.

They do them at Kmart for under $10.

#13 Sugarplum Poobah

Posted 24 January 2020 - 08:39 AM

View Post~Jolly_F~, on 24 January 2020 - 08:35 AM, said:

Nothing on the bench.

Personally I would do a table runner. I think it looks too woody with just a vase myself.

Yes, I was thinking there needed to be something under the vase too -- otherwise it just looks plonked.

#14 Luci

Posted 24 January 2020 - 09:20 AM

Agree with PP's it's a nice table and chair set!

I think I would look at something like a flatter shallower type bowl for the table with nice bright green apples or lemons. It is a biggish wide table so I think having a single taller thing in the middle like a vase of flowers is too much of a contrast.

I would leave the bench clear and at the end (ie in front of window) I would put a nice flowering plant like an orchid in a  white pot.

Good luck with selling you house, you are lucky you don't have too much to get it ready. I think I would need at least a 2 year lead time to get my old place up to scratch!

#15 timtam92

Posted 24 January 2020 - 11:41 AM

Don’t get a table runner! If one vase doesn’t work - do 3 of different sizes and heights.

#16 tothebeach

Posted 24 January 2020 - 01:16 PM

View Post~Jolly_F~, on 24 January 2020 - 08:35 AM, said:

Nothing on the bench.

No table runner!   Just go a flatter arrangement of fruit or something.   If you want to put something underneath it, use a circular wooden or gold flat disc.

#17 night jasmine

Posted 25 January 2020 - 08:22 AM

I agree no table runner. I’d be inclined to leave the dining table bare, or with a flat arrangement of fruit. Perhaps a vase on the kitchen bench with flowers.

#18 Murderino

Posted 29 January 2020 - 09:53 PM

Well thanks everyone. I went with the smaller vase alone on the table and the bench clear but for the fruit bowl.

House was completely clutter free (kids toys are the only clutter) and the potential buyers came today and photographer too in case they aren’t interested or make a low offer.

Agent said they loved the place and are crunching numbers tonight but they do have to sell their place as well so even if they make a great offer it’ll be subject to sale.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.