Anyone added a sliding screen door?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 limakilo

Posted 23 January 2020 - 09:12 PM

We are moving soon and the new house has a nice sliding French door set, but no screen. It's two doors of two doors, that meet in the middle, if that makes sense.
Has anyone added a sliding screen door to outside for safety and bugs etc?
Can you recommend anyone, or do's and don'ts?
Thanks!

#2 Hands Up

Posted 24 January 2020 - 06:42 AM

Yes, we have done so, twice, but as part of bigger renos so the builder sorted it out for us. It makes such a difference having a screen door! Highly recommend.

#3 capper

Posted 24 January 2020 - 06:50 AM

We used freedom sliding doors for our French and bi fold doors.  6 years on and still good.

https://www.freedomscreens.com.au/

#4 seayork2002

Posted 24 January 2020 - 08:44 AM

My dad did but it was a from scratch one, having a wall then getting a sliding door and screen door put in (with steps on the outside).

Not the same I guess in your case though

#5 limakilo

Posted 24 January 2020 - 05:58 PM

It's a rental house so I am going to have to convince the owner.
Anyone remember the approximate cost?
Someone else has recommended Freedom as well, thanks!

#6 kimasa

Posted 24 January 2020 - 06:10 PM

Yes, we got ours through the company DH works for, and I left that entirely to him because due to work he knows too much about screen doors.

He says if it's in the budget, always go steel over nylon.

#7 born.a.girl

Posted 24 January 2020 - 06:37 PM

It certainly sounds feasible. The only reason we couldn't do it was because the doors are hinged, not sliding, and it would involve re-hanging them to fold inwards, which given the space was a bigger issue than not having them.

The only feasible option was flyscreen types (which involved a metal framework on our carefully thought out timber windows and doors) and wouldn't keep the cats in anyway.

Just a guess: it won't be hundreds.

#8 Lucrezia Bauble

Posted 24 January 2020 - 07:01 PM

we have a retractable screen to go with our bifolds - it retracts into a cassette by the side of the door which is very unobtrusive - Freedom retractable screens

http://www.centralco...m.au/house/556/

#9 just roses

Posted 24 January 2020 - 07:24 PM

Flyscreens will be cheaper than security but it could still cost a few k. Might be tricky to convince the landlord, but worth a try.

#10 Charli73

Posted 24 January 2020 - 08:00 PM

We have a retractable screen across our bifolds too into a cassette type thing. It cost around $1200 for 3 doors wide.

Edited by Charli73, 24 January 2020 - 08:00 PM.

#11 little lion

Posted 24 January 2020 - 09:10 PM

We have very large glass stackers and have ordered Crimsafe screen stackers. They were about $5000.

#12 limakilo

Posted 26 January 2020 - 12:11 PM

Thanks everyone!
I am hoping we will be in this place long term, so am willing to contribute to the cost.
I appreciate all the suggestions.

#13 surprisebaby

Posted 26 January 2020 - 12:20 PM

We have one. My niece walked into it the first time she visited. Mum and dad have them and have hadthis happen a few times too. Make sure it is darker than normal screens. :)

#14 Lucrezia Bauble

Posted 26 January 2020 - 12:25 PM

View Postsurprisebaby, on 26 January 2020 - 12:20 PM, said:

We have one. My niece walked into it the first time she visited. Mum and dad have them and have hadthis happen a few times too. Make sure it is darker than normal screens. :)

yes - they’re very unobtrusive which is great in that it doesn’t spoil the view, but it does make it more likely people will walk into it. we tend to put a chair up in front of it if we have it open for a prolonged period of time with kids in the house.

#15 Moukmouk

Posted 26 January 2020 - 01:01 PM

We just put invisigard sliding screens on the back. They are great - almost invisible and they lock so that I can leave the main doors open for air flow. They were cheaper than crimsafe and much much better to deal with (previously had dreadful dealings with crimsafe, and couldn’t even get someone to give me a quote this time). The mesh is also pet safe.

#16 perthgal3

Posted 27 January 2020 - 08:24 AM

We have doors the same as this and also have the Freedom retractable sliding screens. We have a cassette on the outside edges where the screen retracts to.

We love them, but they are for insects - they don't provide any security or lock etc.

Ours are a couple of years old & i think were $2000 something.

We use them throughout summer when it is just our family at home but retract when we have guests over. Ours are a bit tricky to use and some people (particularly kids) are heavy handed when using them. Plus I prefer the look of them retracted when we have people over.

But overall I love them for everyday use to let breeze in but keep insects out.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.