Kids teepee - worth buying more expensive ones?

13 replies to this topic

#1 Oh Peanuts!

Posted 23 January 2020 - 09:56 PM

Looking at getting a teepee (or similar) for the kids, but there seems to be a massive price range out there ($25-250).

I’m happy to spend a bit more if it’ll be worth it for durability and usability - doesn’t tip over or collapse/fall apart constantly. But I’m not trying to emulate a stylised room/Pinterest photo, so don’t necessarily want to stump up the extra cash if the cheaper ones are really just as good (and the kids aren’t likely to use for more than a couple of months).

Any recommendations? Tips for picking? Is it better to get ones with built-in rugs/floors?

#2 seayork2002

Posted 23 January 2020 - 10:02 PM

Not sure if it is a teepee as such but DS had a Ikea one

Edited by seayork2002, 23 January 2020 - 10:02 PM.

#3 a letter to Elise.

Posted 23 January 2020 - 10:13 PM

I’d say it depends how rough your kids are. We’ve had a fold up kids Ikea cube tent for years, and it’s still perfect. All of the other tents we’ve had, that had plastic sticks you link together, have eventually snapped.

if you have the space and want it set up for long periods, id get a good quality one. My kids have loved them. Great for imaginative play, and as they get older, they love a space to hide and read books.

#4 PatG

Posted 23 January 2020 - 10:14 PM

Get a Bunnings one with tunnel and dome tent plus teepee.

#5 Oh Peanuts!

Posted 23 January 2020 - 10:59 PM

View Posta letter to Elise., on 23 January 2020 - 10:13 PM, said:

I’d say it depends how rough your kids are. We’ve had a fold up kids Ikea cube tent for years, and it’s still perfect. All of the other tents we’ve had, that had plastic sticks you link together, have eventually snapped.

if you have the space and want it set up for long periods, id get a good quality one. My kids have loved them. Great for imaginative play, and as they get older, they love a space to hide and read books.

Thanks, that helps.

My intention is to leave it up permanently. They love making cubby houses, but at the moment they are always makeshift things and tend not to withstand the normal roughness of excited kids playing together. They’re not so rough to break things usually, but they’re also not so good at judging their own size either, so I can see with both of them using it, it’d need to be a little bit sturdy. And I’m really not wanting to be being called on constantly to help put the thing back together/reassemble.

#6 Emm27

Posted 24 January 2020 - 01:21 AM

For indoors or outside?

If it’s going to be kept inside just buy a cheap one. I have a Kmart one that has had some brutal treatment for the last 12 months (multiple kiddos a day in it) and it’s still in almost perfect condition.

My local Bunnings has some out on clearance for $9 at the moment.

#7 Lifesgood

Posted 24 January 2020 - 03:27 AM

We had one from Bed Bath & Table that the kids used for years. It was high quality and remained in perfect condition. It folded up in 5 seconds so we always put it away after playing. It had a ‘floor’, window with a Velcro flap and tie-up door-flaps.

It was similar to this one:

https://www.bedbathn...ti-lge-13663801

#8 Jingleflea

Posted 24 January 2020 - 05:56 AM

DD had the Ikea play tent as well.

We don't have much room though so it wasn't left up all the time.

#9 IamtheMumma

Posted 24 January 2020 - 06:30 AM

I’d go middle of the range. The one we have was around $100 but I got it on special for $60. I bought a cheap one first to see if he’d use it. Then got the dearer one.

#10 Kiwi Bicycle

Posted 24 January 2020 - 07:13 AM

But part of the whole fun is building the cubby!
Buy something lower cost to see if they would use it first.
Otherwise give the kids an old bed sheet and let the use chairs, pegs and make their own.

#11 laridae

Posted 24 January 2020 - 07:30 AM

If they love making cubby house, that doesn't mean they'll love a tent. Most of the fun in the cubby is the making! Plus teepees are usually pretty small, but the take up a fair amount of room space.
We've had a cheap teepee. It held up fairly well. But it rarely gets used, they still make cubby houses.
What about making (or buying) a cover for a table - to turn a table into a cubby. Easy to pack up/set up, not there all the time, any usually quite large.

#12 ~Jolly_F~

Posted 24 January 2020 - 08:07 AM

We have a Mocka one - it’s huge. Fits 4 kids in it easily. We have had it for 6 years now and it still gets used regularly. It gets used indoors and outdoors. Still looks brand new.

#13 *Andi*

Posted 24 January 2020 - 08:19 AM

View Post~Jolly_F~, on 24 January 2020 - 08:07 AM, said:

We have a Mocka one - it’s huge. Fits 4 kids in it easily. We have had it for 6 years now and it still gets used regularly. It gets used indoors and outdoors. Still looks brand new.

Our Mocka one has been great too! We've had it for 5.5 years.

#14 Lifesgood

Posted 24 January 2020 - 06:41 PM

My kids used to build extensions on to the teepee with brooms and sheets. They would end up with a multi room cubby house. Many many hours of fun.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.