Flight prices

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 eponee

Posted 24 January 2020 - 09:40 AM

Has anyone had any success in negotiating a lower air fare for a domestic flight over the phone?

I need to purchase a return flight from Tas to Mel for late next month

#2 ineedmorecoffee

Posted 24 January 2020 - 09:47 AM

I have never heard of airfares being negotiable. They may fluctuate depending on demand/sales, but not sure if they are negotiable like buying white-goods.

#3 ytt

Posted 24 January 2020 - 09:50 AM

Clear your cookies and try to buy online (websites know you've been looking at flights so the price is inflated, this is what I've been told). Don't go through webjet though. Very hard to change ticket and you don't get notification of any flight changes.
Go directly to the airlines.

#4 seayork2002

Posted 24 January 2020 - 09:53 AM

I am not sure really, what I mean is I see so many different prices so am not sure if I have actually negotiated as such.

But it is worth asking, they can only say no really

#5 **Xena**

Posted 24 January 2020 - 09:56 AM

Jetstar have $39 flights from Launceston and Melbourne from the end of next month.

#6 born.a.girl

Posted 24 January 2020 - 10:00 AM

No.

If price is crucial, use Jetstar.

#7 lizzzard

Posted 24 January 2020 - 10:02 AM

Why would you want to negotiate over the phone? The beauty of airfare aggregators is that the transparency reduces margins added by intermediaries (thus less need /opportunity for ad hoc negotiation by customers with salespeople). I think it makes the system both more efficient and fairer.

Anyway, Skyscanner is my go to for the best deals.

The only exception would be if you feel there are special circumstances - eg compassionate reasons or a re-scheduled flight due to a cancellation etc

#8 ~Jolly_F~

Posted 24 January 2020 - 10:09 AM

Jetstar flights are pretty much all under a $100 to and fro for Feb and March, some are $39 - that pretty cheap.

How much cheaper do you want it?

#9 eponee

Posted 24 January 2020 - 10:47 AM

View Post~Jolly_F~, on 24 January 2020 - 10:09 AM, said:

Jetstar flights are pretty much all under a $100 to and fro for Feb and March, some are $39 - that pretty cheap.

How much cheaper do you want it?

Under $100 would be nice - I've bled enough money on this trip already.  The earlier the flight leaving LST the better.

I need to leave LST on 20 Feb and return on Feb 23

#10 born.a.girl

Posted 24 January 2020 - 11:00 AM

View Posteponee, on 24 January 2020 - 10:47 AM, said:

Under $100 would be nice - I've bled enough money on this trip already.  The earlier the flight leaving LST the better.

I need to leave LST on 20 Feb and return on Feb 23

If you must go on those dates, it's going to cost min $200 with jetstar.

If you can be flexibile with dates, they have flights for $39 each way, on different dates either side of your preferred ones.

EG

Going over  Thursday is $88, Sat late afternoon is $39

Return sun is $112, Tuesday 7am is $39.

Unfortunately you can often only get the best fares if you are flexible with dates.   Lots of $39 fares to and from melb & tas.

#11 Apageintime

Posted 24 January 2020 - 12:57 PM

My husband works for an airline and says he has never heard of this happening, unless you are amjaor tour operator or sponsor, what you see online is what you pay.

#12 jayskette

Posted 24 January 2020 - 06:28 PM

do people haggle over bus or train fares over the phone? no, so same applies for planes.

#13 born.a.girl

Posted 24 January 2020 - 06:34 PM

View Postjayskette, on 24 January 2020 - 06:28 PM, said:

do people haggle over bus or train fares over the phone? no, so same applies for planes.

Difference is, generally there is not more than one bus or train (in Australia, anyway) going to the same place, at roughly the same time.

People certainly 'haggle' over all sorts of things, like wine prices, stuff at Bunnings, whereby they guarantee to meet their competitor's prices.

Not an unreasonable question from the OP.

#14 seayork2002

Posted 24 January 2020 - 06:43 PM

View Postjayskette, on 24 January 2020 - 06:28 PM, said:

I do not haggle in Woolworths but i do in bing lee and a car and house and antique shops

#15 8LittleAustralians

Posted 24 January 2020 - 09:57 PM

I was always under the impression that booking flights via phone was likely to cost more rather than less.

I too use skyscanner and am a fan of momondo, but find that's more for looking for cheaper international fares, never have really seen much of a difference for domestic flights.

#16 iwanttosleepin

Posted 24 January 2020 - 10:06 PM

Likely to cost more over the phone rather than less

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.