Thermomix - real or knock off?

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 Ocean waves

Posted 24 January 2020 - 12:10 PM

Hi guys

I'd typed this out but then lost it so hope I don't end up double posting ...

I'm tempted by a Thermomix - the cost is making me think hard about it.

I'm about to enter the tunnel of baby purees and mush and when I went to a Thermomix demo a few years ago I thought I definately would have bought one if I was still doing baby food.

1) is there currently a cheap version of the Thermomix on the market?  Target used to sell a Bellini one but I can't see it anywhere these days.

2) for those that have a Thermomix or knock off - how good was it for baby food?  

I've long thrown out my steamer and food processor because I didn't use them/they took up too much space etc so I'm faced with the thought about whether spending $2k on an all in one appliance of appliances I only used during the baby stages, is actually a good idea ...

Please help ....

#2 amaza

Posted 24 January 2020 - 12:16 PM

Smith and Noble intelli kitchen cooker is the Bellini rebranded.

I have a Thermomix and it would be great for baby food imo. Nothing you can't do with a stovetop and hand mixer but imo it would be quicker and easier with a Thermomix.

I have heard great things about the Bellini and think it would also be good to make pureed food.

If it's only baby food you are making I don't think the Thermomix will be worth it tbh. If you think you'd use it for more as time goes on then I personally love my TM.

#3 Riotproof

Posted 24 January 2020 - 12:19 PM

I wouldn’t buy one for baby food. I’d buy a stab blender. I seriously like my sunbeam one https://www.sunbeam....r-Platinum.aspx

#4 just roses

Posted 24 January 2020 - 12:25 PM

If it’s just for baby food, buy a good quality blender.

I use my TMX a lot but it’s far too much to pay for a baby food maker.

#5 just roses

Posted 24 January 2020 - 12:30 PM

View PostRiotproof, on 24 January 2020 - 12:19 PM, said:

I wouldn’t buy one for baby food. I’d buy a stab blender. I seriously like my sunbeam one https://www.sunbeam....r-Platinum.aspx

I’ve had this Sunbeam set for more than a decade and still use it all the time. The thermomix has not made it redundant ;-)

Edited by just roses, 24 January 2020 - 12:31 PM.

#6 TheGreenSheep

Posted 24 January 2020 - 12:34 PM

I have a Thermomix. I didn't when my kids were babies. TBH by the time the second one came along I only fork pureed as the stab blender was in a box between moves, as well as more Baby Led Weaning and finger foods. So from my own experience it would've been a waste.

However as a family cooker its great. Babies need soft foods for such a short time I would look at what else a thermal cooker can add to your family cooking experience beyond the first food stages.

#7 SplashingRainbows

Posted 24 January 2020 - 12:34 PM

I love mine and one of the reasons is because you can do a lot of meals while holding a crying baby hahaha. When it does the temp and storing etc for you it’s easier to get dinner sorted.

I used mine extensively during the early years. We still use it regularly now.

#8 ~Jolly_F~

Posted 24 January 2020 - 12:35 PM

I have a thermie. I like it.

I didn’t have it when my kids where little, my youngest was about 3 when I got mine, so can’t comment on the baby food side of it but I can imagine it would make life heaps easier, as even with older kids it makes my life easier imo.

I have made thing I would never have attempted without it. I understand other people make all kinds of things without one but for my it changed the way I cook, we eat better and healthier and I enjoy cooking much more.

#9 #notallcats

Posted 24 January 2020 - 12:36 PM

I don't have one but agree it's too much money for just baby food.  I just mushed my baby's food.  I had a blender but didn't use it  often because it was too much cleaning for small amounts.  The puree stage is so short and some skip it altogether, just mush it  or finger foods.  The blender I did use was just a cheapie, it did the job.

#10 tothebeach

Posted 24 January 2020 - 12:53 PM

I have the Bellini (now Smith and Noble from Harris Scarfe).   I’ve had it for 6 years and it’s still going well.  I use it for soup, rice, stock etc.   I’m happy with it but assume that a thermomix would be better (but not sure it would be 10x better) as I only paid $240 for the Bellini.

#11 tenar

Posted 24 January 2020 - 12:54 PM

If you can't stand the idea of all that mush (I couldn't), look up "baby led weaning".  I did it with both my kids.

On the otherhand if we could justify a thermomix I'd be delighted because I think we'd use it quite a lot.  We like to make a lot of stuff from scratch.

#12 Riotproof

Posted 24 January 2020 - 01:02 PM

View Postjust roses, on 24 January 2020 - 12:30 PM, said:

I’ve had this Sunbeam set for more than a decade and still use it all the time. The thermomix has not made it redundant ;-)

I’m sure. But the op doesn’t know if she’s going to use a thermomix. $2000 versus $100 for making baby food?

#13 IamtheMumma

Posted 24 January 2020 - 01:21 PM

I have a TMX. I’m about to sell it as I don’t use it anymore. If I decide to get another, I’ll be getting the Smith & Noble one.

#14 hills mum bec

Posted 24 January 2020 - 01:28 PM

I have a Bellini knock-off one and I do use it quite a bit.  I've had mine for about 5 years and it is still working fine and only cost me $250.  I am tempted by a new TMX because I think the internet connection and guided cooking would be great but $2k+ is a lot to pay for a machine that works almost exactly the same as the one I paid $250 for.  I have never had any trouble converting TMX recipes in it.  I did not have it when the kids were babies and I wouldn't buy one if that was the only thing I was planning to use it for.  I just used a saucepan and a stick mixer.

ETA - here is the Smith & Noble one:

https://www.harrissc...ale /BP_546766

Edited by hills mum bec, 24 January 2020 - 01:28 PM.

#15 Ocean waves

Posted 24 January 2020 - 01:45 PM

Hi guys - OP here

I was rushing when I typed my post (for the second time). I wasn’t that clear - I have been tempted to the thermomix world for a while now - we eat a lot of chicken and cooked veg (usually Steam Fresh bags in the microwave - but for cost, health and environment I would like to go fresh veg). I also buy Quick Rice (40 sec in microwave). I feel I could save money on the grocery shop, plus healthier and better for environment but $2k is huge. We are very “free” time poor and trying to making healthy food as quickly as possible. Time isn’t so much the issue as free/spare time - two kids, one baby, two dogs, hubby working long hours, etc

The baby food stage is prompting me to decide yes or no because I think it would be convenient timing to be able to use it on purées etc. I’m not that flush with cash that I would spend $2k to purée some food but in re-reading my post I see I wasn’t clear!

I don’t own a steamer etc because we moved to smaller kitchen plus I had gotten into quick microwave solutions.

So my question is really: I want to cook steamed rice/chicken/salmon/veg meals plus do baby foods - should I go the Thermomix or a cheaper version?. I saw a Tefal Cuisine one but it seems bulky with the extra attachments by comparison to the Thermomix and the Smith & Noble.

#16 ~Jolly_F~

Posted 24 January 2020 - 01:49 PM

You can make dog food it in, thats a bonus.

For your style of cooking it probably would be a good investment.

OP do you have a friend who has one that might lend it to you for a few days to check out if its works for you or contact a consultant and they might lend one to you.

#17 Ocean waves

Posted 24 January 2020 - 01:53 PM

It’s actually embarrassing to see I asked a question like I did in my original post - I would edit it but feel the embarrassment is deserved!!  I really did leave out so much info. Thank goodness school goes back next week - might give me some thinking time again!

#18 Riotproof

Posted 24 January 2020 - 01:55 PM

Okay Op, that makes a lot more sense now.

I have a cuisine companion and I really, really like it. I do not have the external steamer but I do have the shredding pack, which makes it more like a normal food processor. If you have a look on tvsn, they do sometimes have hour long demonstrations on using it. It gets a bit annoying with the sales people but get an idea on what you can cook.

#19 literally nobody

Posted 24 January 2020 - 02:03 PM

You can pick them up 2nd hand for $1200.

#20 FeralRebelWClaws

Posted 24 January 2020 - 02:27 PM

I have a Bellini supercook and have had for maybe 4 or 5 years. My son is 3, and I never used it to make his food lol We did BLW, made life so much easier and he was far more interested in what I was eating (still is hahah)

#21 newmumandexcited

Posted 24 January 2020 - 03:42 PM

Buy this https://m.catch.com....booklet-101254/

I had two.

#22 SummerStar

Posted 24 January 2020 - 03:58 PM

I had a thermochef it was brilliant. I got it to make sure I'd get use out if it. I then upgraded to a Thermomix and it was no better or worse than my thermochef. It wasn't like ground breakingly different. Unfortunately thermochef are no longer. The thermochef even did some things better than the TM.

For just baby food I'd get a good blender. Wouldn't waste the money on a TM if it's not to use for other things.
Most of the knock off's so to speak are as expensive or almost as expensive as the Thermomix these days. The cheaper Bellini was garbage and they apparently changed it so it worked better, but it still wasn't great (I know several people who had them at the time, the best thing about them was the ability to return it to target as so many of them did so often, I don't think any of them have one at all now.). So if you want a Thermomix like appliance, I'd probably just get the Thermomix.

Edited by SummerStar, 24 January 2020 - 04:00 PM.

#23 just roses

Posted 24 January 2020 - 04:29 PM

View PostRiotproof, on 24 January 2020 - 01:02 PM, said:

I’m sure. But the op doesn’t know if she’s going to use a thermomix. $2000 versus $100 for making baby food?
Sorry, that was exactly my point.

OP is far better buying that set and then - is she eventually gets a TMX, she’d probably still use it. Winky face because every TMX devotee will say you can throw out all your other appliances. But I’ve found I still use a few of the old faithful.

#24 SummerStar

Posted 24 January 2020 - 04:31 PM

Absolutely I don't get the you can throw everything out... The Thermomix doesn't do everything it can well. Only some things.

I still have a kitchen aid that I bought AFTER the TM because I didn't like how it mixes cakes etc. I also have a stick blender for smaller jobs and plenty of other appliances. No way would I rely on just the TM and can't understand why anyone would.

I also am not someone who uses it 6 times a day, I'd be lucky to use it once a week these days. I have two due to the freebie thing years ago but never use two at once.

Edited by SummerStar, 24 January 2020 - 07:32 PM.

#25 Riotproof

Posted 24 January 2020 - 04:44 PM

View Postjust roses, on 24 January 2020 - 04:29 PM, said:

Sorry, that was exactly my point.

OP is far better buying that set and then - is she eventually gets a TMX, she’d probably still use it. Winky face because every TMX devotee will say you can throw out all your other appliances. But I’ve found I still use a few of the old faithful.

Oh sorry, I read it a different way.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.