Typical Adelaide

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 Lees75

Posted 24 January 2020 - 03:54 PM

DS16 and DD13 both have besties of the opposite gender. I just dropped DD13 off at her friend’s house. I don’t know the mum very well, as we both work full time and live in different parts of Adelaide,  but we both had a day off today and she invited me in for a drink. Within 5 mins we realized that her “work wife” is DS16’s bestie’s mum!
ADELAIDE- so small- lol!

#2 Luci

Posted 24 January 2020 - 05:31 PM

Agree it is typical Adelaide!  I have lived in Sydney for 25 years but grew up in Adelaide. Over the years I have often met people in Sydney who are originally from Adelaide and I usually know them (at least vaguely) from my Adelaide days.

A while ago my very elderly neighbour came over to tell me he was going to hospital and could I please collect the mail and papers for a couple of days. After that his niece was arrving from Adelaide to help out.  He mentioned his niece's name - yep sure enough she was in the year below me at school.

#3 Ozquoll

Posted 24 January 2020 - 05:36 PM

Hehe, that sounds about right for Adelaide!

DH spent his teenage years in Adelaide. He would occasionally be accosted on the street by total strangers saying "You must be "Bob's" son - you're the spitting image of him!". "Bob" is in fact DH's uncle - the family genes are quite strong 😆. The strangers were workmates of "Bob" who hadn't met his children.

#4 hills mum bec

Posted 24 January 2020 - 09:16 PM

Yep, sounds like Adelaide.  I have a friend who lives in Tamworth and a few years ago she got talking to a lady who was visiting the Country Music Festival from Adelaide.  Next time I had a chat with my friend she mentioned that she met somebody from Adelaide who enjoyed line dancing.  A few weeks previously DSs youth group had a line dancing night and it turns out the lady my friend was speaking to was the same lady that had hosted the youth group line dancing night.

#5 hills mum bec

Posted 24 January 2020 - 09:19 PM

And you think Adelaide’s small, imagine what it’s like in the hills towns where I live.  Literally everybody knows everybody and have some kind of family connection.  Our town has like five founding families and just about everybody can trace their lines back to at least one of them.

Edited by hills mum bec, 24 January 2020 - 09:20 PM.

#6 Backtoschoolchef

Posted 24 January 2020 - 09:38 PM

Haha whats the saying.... 6 degrees of separation or 3 in Adelaide ;)

#7 hills mum bec

Posted 24 January 2020 - 09:41 PM

View PostPoolsideMasterchef, on 24 January 2020 - 09:38 PM, said:

Haha whats the saying.... 6 degrees of separation or 3 in Adelaide ;)

I think it might only be 2

#8 Cocoa Trufflespice

Posted 24 January 2020 - 09:54 PM

Good old Adelaide! I was on a flight to a remote town in the NT and started chatting to the guy next to me and it turns out he was my mum and dads plumber!

#9 amaza

Posted 24 January 2020 - 09:58 PM

Ahh good old Adelaide. I love it so much.

#10 8LittleAustralians

Posted 24 January 2020 - 10:04 PM

I don't think I've ever flown out of Adelaide Airport and not bumped into someone at the airport I know. The majority of the time there is someone on the flight one of us know some how.

That never happened when we live in Melbourne.

#11 hills mum bec

Posted 24 January 2020 - 10:39 PM

View PostThe 7 Dwarfs, on 24 January 2020 - 10:04 PM, said:

I don't think I've ever flown out of Adelaide Airport and not bumped into someone at the airport I know. The majority of the time there is someone on the flight one of us know some how.

That never happened when we live in Melbourne.

And the same happens when you holiday within south Australia.  Last time we went to Coffin Bay which is a tiny town 8 hours away we bumped into people we knew.  I don’t think I have ever been on holiday within SA and not at least found somebody who knows somebody that I know.

#12 Expelliarmus

Posted 25 January 2020 - 09:05 AM

Recently in Rome we were waiting for our tour guide one morning and behind us another guy asked the young couple where they were from.

“Australia.”

Naturally we turned around, “Hey there! Us too!” Australians were quite thin on the ground, unlike when we were in Fiji where 99% of tourists are Australian, earlier in the year so it was quite exciting!

DH asks where in Australia. Adelaide. LOL

I don’t think we found any sort of connection which was actually a bit surprising ...  but what are the odds the first Australians we meet in Italy live about five suburbs away?

But we did bump into them again 4 days later at McDonalds in Venice :rofl:

#13 Heather11

Posted 25 January 2020 - 09:30 AM

View Posthills mum bec, on 24 January 2020 - 09:19 PM, said:

And you think Adelaide’s small, imagine what it’s like in the hills towns where I live.  Literally everybody knows everybody and have some kind of family connection.  Our town has like five founding families and just about everybody can trace their lines back to at least one of them.

Yep.  I grew up in the Hills.  DH grew up in a large country town several hours north of Adelaide. When I first met him and we were in the city in Rundle Mall.one day, he bumped into 4 people he knew from his childhood

The IL's are often in tour groups with other SA's when overseas and more often then not they know a mutual friend or family member.

Expelli, we had friends holiday in America late last year.  They heard an Aussie voice behind them at some pedestrian lights in New York.  Turned around to find it was Josh Jenkins.

Edited by Heather11, 25 January 2020 - 09:32 AM.

#14 Backtoschoolchef

Posted 25 January 2020 - 10:00 AM

View Posthills mum bec, on 24 January 2020 - 09:41 PM, said:

I think it might only be 2

We probably know each other IRL :)

#15 lizzybirdsworth

Posted 25 January 2020 - 12:21 PM

On our drive to Adelaide at Christmas we stayed in hay. While swimming in the pool out of the 4 families in the pool 3 were from Adelaide 😂.
When meeting my husbands family who live in the south it was discovered I went to high school with his cousin in the northern parts. Adelaide is small

#16 22Fruitmincepies

Posted 25 January 2020 - 01:11 PM

View PostExpelliarmus, on 25 January 2020 - 09:05 AM, said:

Recently in Rome we were waiting for our tour guide one morning and behind us another guy asked the young couple where they were from.

“Australia.”

Naturally we turned around, “Hey there! Us too!” Australians were quite thin on the ground, unlike when we were in Fiji where 99% of tourists are Australian, earlier in the year so it was quite exciting!

DH asks where in Australia. Adelaide. LOL

I don’t think we found any sort of connection which was actually a bit surprising ...  but what are the odds the first Australians we meet in Italy live about five suburbs away?

But we did bump into them again 4 days later at McDonalds in Venice :rofl:

Perth is a bit similar. Last year we were in France, staying in a place with three other families. Two were English, and the other family live a few suburbs away from us in Perth. I’ve since bumped into the mum in the supermarket :lol:

#17 Expelliarmus

Posted 25 January 2020 - 01:16 PM

View PostPoolsideMasterchef, on 25 January 2020 - 10:00 AM, said:

We probably know each other IRL :)
When I lived in Sydney I had to deliberately arrange meet ups with EBers.

In Adelaide I just find out that they are a teacher at my kids school or the mum of a kid in the same class ...DD2 graduated last year along with a pair of EB twins - they’ve been in the same classes on and off since preschool.

ETA: Oh and I forgot that time an EBer recognised me when I randomly turned up to a relief day at her school.

Edited by Expelliarmus, 25 January 2020 - 08:24 PM.

#18 Squeekums The Elf

Posted 25 January 2020 - 02:23 PM

View Posthills mum bec, on 24 January 2020 - 09:19 PM, said:

It's like that out on Yorkes, sad thing is they all still in  that mentality of they own the area. If your a no name outsider with no family in town, you may as well be invisible and don't even bother looking for work, you can have all the qualifications under the sun but if you don't have the right last name or family connections, your screwed.

In our little post office I've been in line with Sam Jacobs, ex crows player, he was up visiting family
Served a cornes brother at big day out one year.

I remember leaving school half way through year 8, few years later I'm working at schoolies, the year I'd have been a schoolie, chick comes up to me, as we processing the sale, she goes, I know you, we went to high school together in yr 8. Damn girl, you got a good memory lol

#19 WaitForMe

Posted 25 January 2020 - 02:50 PM

Yep. I grew up in Adelaide and go back every Christmas if not more often. I dread it if I need to go to Marion, its pretty much a given I'll bump into at least one person I went to school with!

I always wonder what its like to still live there and just be constantly bumping into people I know, it rarely happens to me in Melbourne.

#20 someoneanon

Posted 25 January 2020 - 03:51 PM

Yeah it can be cool to just randomly find a connection with random people. Other times it can be so bloody toxic (particularly in LGBTQI+ community).

#21 Lees75

Posted 25 January 2020 - 05:59 PM

Expelli, you reminded me of something that happened to us when we had our America trip. We were staying on the Canadian side of Niagara Falls, and walked across the bridge to do the jumping from USA to Canada, etc. When we walked back in to the official customs office, manned by 1 officer, he was giving the guy in front of us a really hard time, and I started to get worried, as a single mum with 2 kids, as I had left my letter from XH giving me permission to travel with the kids, back in our hotel.

DS, 11 at the time, was wearing his Adelaide Crows hoodie, and the Canadian immigration officer asked him if we were from Adelaide and said he goes for the Crows, because he had come home after a 3 month stay with a mate in Adelaide. We asked him where and he said Campbelltown, which at the time, was where XH was living. The kids loved it, particularly when he told them they could come back in to Canada, but I couldn't because I supported the drug cheats (Bombers).

#22 Vicbitt9

Posted 25 January 2020 - 07:57 PM

This reminds me of Canberra - especially when you marry someone who lived here his whole life with a large number of siblings! People hardly ever know me compared to how often they know my husband and/or his family.
This happens especially because we live in Belconnen (north Canberra, built up around 45+ years ago) in a suburb very close to where he grew up, with the family home still housing some of his immediate family members!
(I also had a friend who moved to Adelaide from growing up in Canberra and she commented on how small Adelaide was!)
Although she had many friends in the LGBTQI+ community and I had the impression that it was fairly welcoming, sorry to hear of toxicity from someoneanon.

#23 micric

Posted 25 January 2020 - 08:36 PM

At Animal Kingdom in Walt Disney World in Florida, watching the evening performance. About 30 seconds before it ends, a family in the row in front gets up, and starts to leave. I quite loudly remark to DP that they must be Crows supporters, thinking that in Florida it would be safe to do so. Mother of departing family turns to me and in South Australian accent hisses 'what's wrong with being a Crows fan???'. Ooops...

#24 bearosauraus

Posted 25 January 2020 - 08:50 PM

View Postmicric, on 25 January 2020 - 08:36 PM, said:

At Animal Kingdom in Walt Disney World in Florida, watching the evening performance. About 30 seconds before it ends, a family in the row in front gets up, and starts to leave. I quite loudly remark to DP that they must be Crows supporters, thinking that in Florida it would be safe to do so. Mother of departing family turns to me and in South Australian accent hisses 'what's wrong with being a Crows fan???'. Ooops...

Haha this is the best! I say the same thing when people do that, I just haven't been caught out before  ;)

#25 Expelliarmus

Posted 25 January 2020 - 10:56 PM

What is wrong with being a Crows supporter?

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.