Fashion Help please

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 notorico

Posted 25 January 2020 - 04:41 PM

I am in my mid 40s and have recently lost over 25kg. I was previously a Size 20 and have just hit Size 14. I am hoping to lose more and settle somewhere between a size 10 and 12.

I have been overweight a long time so have been rather limited where I buy my clothes. Now I have a lot more freedom but I don't know where to start.

I am looking for dresses and nice tops that suit me, I am still a bit chunky for 163cm but would like to buy a few nice things without spending a fortune because I still hope to lose a bit more. I have a few functions coming up that I would like to look nice for - including going to visit my dad who has no idea I have lost weight.

I consider myself young for my age but don't want to wear stuff that is too young for me. What are your best online stores for someone of my age.

I am also struggling a bit with style. Mostly I am a casual person but would like a few more things for going out for drinks or a party. Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated.

#2 Not Escapin Xmas

Posted 25 January 2020 - 04:49 PM

Since you need a whole new wardrobe, I would use a stylist. Someone who can go shopping with you and get you everything you need so that it all works together and you feel great. You'll probably end up saving money over what you would have spent left to your own devices. If you're in Sydney I can PM you an excellent stylist.

#3 notorico

Posted 25 January 2020 - 06:09 PM

Thank you for replying. A stylist may be the way to go when I get to my goal weight but for the moment I just want to pick up a few bits and pieces.

#4 Hands Up

Posted 25 January 2020 - 06:19 PM

I would try the chain stores for a few cheap pieces to tide you over. I just got a really nice dress from just jeans for $25!

A style that suits me is flowy dresses with elastic waists. I’ll try and find an example and share it

Like this:
https://m.witchery.c...eeve-Dress.html

Edited by Hands Up, 25 January 2020 - 06:22 PM.

#5 Tea and Biscuit

Posted 25 January 2020 - 06:20 PM

City chic can be very good.
At a size 14 you would be an extra small (you read that correctly) in their ranges.
I find they have a hit and miss selection
But that may be my taste.
I have purchased lovely dresses and jumpsuits from them and as they are belted could be made to have a smaller waste  as you reach your goal.

Well done of your amazing effort so far!

#6 Bebecita

Posted 25 January 2020 - 06:26 PM

Maybe try somewhere like Portman's.   Their clothes are cut well and often seem to have a nice structure to them so even things that are fitted skim nicely rather than clinging in all the wrong spots.

#7 Not Escapin Xmas

Posted 25 January 2020 - 06:27 PM

View Postnotorico, on 25 January 2020 - 06:09 PM, said:

Thank you for replying. A stylist may be the way to go when I get to my goal weight but for the moment I just want to pick up a few bits and pieces.

In that case (and apologies for not reading your OP properly!) I would have a look at Birdsnest. They have loads of lovely stuff, mostly more casual plus some going out things. Lots of tops and dresses :)

#8 eigne

Posted 25 January 2020 - 10:16 PM

Jacqui e is my go to

#9 Ellie bean

Posted 25 January 2020 - 10:30 PM

Can you set aside a day and go to a shopping centre and try a whole heap of stuff on? And include ensuring your bra is well fitted.
I did this after having kids and going up in size as the change meant not only a change in size but in what sort of stuff suited
Wear a maxi dress and slip on shoes for easy changing

#10 notorico

Posted 26 January 2020 - 09:18 AM

Thank you for the suggestions - I will take time this morning to go through all of your recommendations.

I don't quite have the confidence to go and try things on - I still feel like a fat person who doesn't belong in those stores so thought it might be easier to just try a few basics online first that I can try in the comfort of my own home.

#11 a letter to Elise.

Posted 26 January 2020 - 09:47 AM

I think it depends on what type of clothes you need. Are these dresses just for events? Or do you need some everyday clothes as well? Clothes for work?

when my weight was fluctuating post baby, I liked target and Sussan and seed for basics. I stuck to flowy things, that would still be wearable as I lost weight. I’ve recently discovered Decjuba, which has good size ranges for jeans, jeggings and cute tops. As for dresses for events, you have lots of options available as a size 14. It really depends on what style you like, but you’ll be able to wear most brands.

#12 a letter to Elise.

Posted 26 January 2020 - 09:48 AM

I will note, stay away from Zara, as their sizes are really inconsistent, and will probably just make you frustrated.

#13 notorico

Posted 26 January 2020 - 10:10 AM

Thank you. Its exciting but so daunting to start from scratch with my wardrobe.

I went down the rabbit hole that is Birdsnest, then the other sites. So much to choose from I have ended up with a few basic pieces that will hopefully still be good once i have lost weight. I spent more than I intended to but I think it will work.

I ordered some white pants and jeans in both Size 14 and Size 12 from crossroads as they have a big sale on.

I will team them with some basic tees and then I bought these to jazz that up:

https://www.seedheri...ert tan&start=1

https://www.seedheri... poncho&start=1

https://www.vineappa...=30769594335372

For the function I am going to I ordered this:

https://www.carolina...etttunicinblush

This was a bit more than I was planning but as it is one size fits most I hope it will fit now and still be suitable later.

I have also ordered this:

https://www.jacquie....r=ANTIQUE BLOOM

totally different from anything I have ordered before. Hopefully it works.

This should tide me over until I get to my goal.

Edited by notorico, 26 January 2020 - 10:12 AM.

#14 Hands Up

Posted 26 January 2020 - 10:19 AM

Oh I love those summer ponchos! I’ve just bought one myself!

#15 a letter to Elise.

Posted 27 January 2020 - 09:11 AM

Beautiful choices!

#16 JoanFontaine

Posted 27 January 2020 - 09:50 AM

I’ve had no real luck with birdsnest, iconic is a bit better as returns are easy and free.

what I suggest is you pad out your current wardrobe with some op shop/cheap Kmart jeans and dark neutral fitted tops while you’re still losing. I lost 36 kgs a few years ago, and didn’t have to buy anything until I hit the 20kg mark. I then picked up some op shop jeans for $7 and target black pants, and a couple of tops. I knew I wouldn’t stay Size 12 for long, I then didn’t buy anything till I hit my goal weight. The problem is if you rebound again, so don’t throw anything out either. I got rid of my size 18 stuff (never again!) but have my wardrobe labelled from 8-16 in categories. This weekend I moved to my size 10 section and put my 8s away.

#17 notorico

Posted 27 January 2020 - 12:15 PM

JoanFontaine I have been donating clothes as the become too big for me. I'm trying to make it harder for me to become complacent. Let's hope I don't regret it :pray:

Hands Up which one did you buy?

Thanks 'a letter to Elise'

#18 wilding

Posted 27 January 2020 - 12:36 PM

View Postnotorico, on 27 January 2020 - 12:15 PM, said:

JoanFontaine I have been donating clothes as the become too big for me. I'm trying to make it harder for me to become complacent. Let's hope I don't regret it :pray:

Thanks 'a letter to Elise'

Throw them out. Don't hold onto them just in case. You don't need that reminder. Coming from someone who has lost a large amount of weight and had to rebuild from scratch. You've worked hard to change habits.

As someone once told me " they represent the berating, the shame, the guilt and judging myself excessively harshly."

You're starting a new chapter.

#19 Hands Up

Posted 27 January 2020 - 01:12 PM

I bought the animal print one :-)

Another place I’ve got a couple of lovely dresses from recently is Tree of Life. I’d never been in there before but their dresses flow, have elastic waists as a design feature and the sizes are definitely more flex. The dress I’m wearing right now in a small could definitely fit a size ten or s twelve (I’m currently hovering between the two).

#20 Let-it-go

Posted 27 January 2020 - 03:22 PM

OP - beautiful choices.  We have similar taste!  Love the Carolina dress.

#21 Bearynice

Posted 27 January 2020 - 04:11 PM

Great choices. If you like styles like the Carolina dress you might like to look at blue bungalow.
They sell dresses which are similar and lots of gorgeous clothes

#22 notorico

Posted 27 January 2020 - 06:41 PM

Bearynice - thanks for that - there are a lot of good options on Blue Bungalow. I can see me spending a bit more money tonight. :smile:

#23 Bearynice

Posted 27 January 2020 - 07:23 PM

View Postnotorico, on 27 January 2020 - 06:41 PM, said:

Bearynice - thanks for that - there are a lot of good options on Blue Bungalow. I can see me spending a bit more money tonight. :smile:
It’s super dangerous! If you are on Facebook you can join blue bungalow inner circle. Real people post pics, reviews, asks for recommendations.
There’s people from 30-80 years on there. I love that shop!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.