When do you take your Christmas lights down?

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

Poll: Christmas lights (96 member(s) have cast votes)

When do you take your Christmas light down?

1. Dec 26th (5 votes [5.21%])

Percentage of vote: 5.21%

2. Between Christmas and New Years (32 votes [33.33%])

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

3. New Years Day (10 votes [10.42%])

Percentage of vote: 10.42%

4. Before Australia Day (40 votes [41.67%])

Percentage of vote: 41.67%

5. It’s Easter already? Might as well leave them up now (9 votes [9.38%])

Percentage of vote: 9.38%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Coffeegirl

Posted 25 January 2020 - 08:37 PM

Asking for a friend...

#2 Gumbette

Posted 25 January 2020 - 08:41 PM

Usually before Australia Day, but this year we've left them up for Chinese New Year.

#3 #notallcats

Posted 25 January 2020 - 08:46 PM

If it makes her feel any better, tell your "friend" we once had a Christmas deer in our front yard until July one year.  I've been good ever since as the deer never worked again,  it turns out they are not made for seven odd months of continuous use!

Edited by #notallcats, 25 January 2020 - 08:47 PM.

#4 appledumpling

Posted 25 January 2020 - 08:46 PM

One to two weeks into January. Usually try to have everything Christmas packed away by Epiphany. Probably because that was what my mother did!

#5 PrincessPeach

Posted 25 January 2020 - 08:57 PM

Some of my neighbours have theirs up all year. Usually fence decorations or tree ones, so it looks ok.

They put away the santas though.

#6 GingerbreadWoman

Posted 25 January 2020 - 09:12 PM

I’ll let you know on Monday whether it is option 4 or 5... :)

#7 SummerStar

Posted 25 January 2020 - 09:20 PM

Everything Christmas is put away as soon as we can after the day. Boxing day if we are free or the day after that if not. When the kids are all adults, I probably won't bother putting any up. I love Christmas but the decorations are just clutter, the lights a hassle!

#8 Bereckii

Posted 25 January 2020 - 09:26 PM

You can keep them up every day of the year if you call them fairy lights. Right?

#9 Lucrezia Bauble

Posted 25 January 2020 - 09:30 PM

Posted Image

#10 AnythingGoes

Posted 25 January 2020 - 09:40 PM

Aiming for 4. Will probably be 5.

#11 eachschoolholidays

Posted 25 January 2020 - 09:40 PM

Everything comes down on 6 January

#12 BECZ

Posted 25 January 2020 - 10:22 PM

I aim to take them down ASAP after New Years.  Sometimes that can be a couple of days, sometimes about a month.  We finally got everything packed away in the garage last weekend, but I actually did the majority of it in the week after New Years while the kids were camping with my mum.

Back in my uni days, we missed one set of lights on a window when packing away.  It was a window that we rarely opened the blinds or curtains on and didn’t realise until about November.  It wasn’t worth taking them down by then.

#13 amdirel

Posted 25 January 2020 - 10:55 PM

I took ours down about mid January, except this year I had also put up a set of plain warm white fairy lights on our balcony, and they look so pretty I've decided to leave them up. I don't turn them on every night, just when I'm sitting out there some nights.

#14 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 25 January 2020 - 10:55 PM

As soon as possible. I don’t want criminals thinking we have gone away on an extended holiday and left our Christmas decorations up.

Or at least that’s what I assume when I see decorations still up weeks after Christmas, I assume the owners aren’t home.

#15 Squeekums The Elf

Posted 25 January 2020 - 10:58 PM

View Post~LemonMyrtle~, on 25 January 2020 - 10:55 PM, said:

Or at least that’s what I assume when I see decorations still up weeks after Christmas, I assume the owners aren’t home.

Ours still up, we been home, but can confirm just lazy

but i really got get round to taking them down before easter lol

#16 Wolf87

Posted 25 January 2020 - 11:11 PM

I try to do it as soon as possible after New Years Day, can be up to a week after. It depresses me having all the Xmas decorations up when I’m getting into back to work mode.

#17 FuzzyChocolateToes

Posted 25 January 2020 - 11:37 PM

We took them down on Dec 31st!

#18 Inkogneatoh

Posted 25 January 2020 - 11:41 PM

If I can be bothered putting them up in the first place, then I try to get them down again by New Years, but they are defiantly away by the 7th Jan. That's the time limit for the tree, a throwback to having real trees growing up.

View Post#notallcats, on 25 January 2020 - 08:46 PM, said:

If it makes her feel any better, tell your "friend" we once had a Christmas deer in our front yard until July one year.  I've been good ever since as the deer never worked again,  it turns out they are not made for seven odd months of continuous use!

View PostPrincessPeach, on 25 January 2020 - 08:57 PM, said:

Some of my neighbours have theirs up all year. Usually fence decorations or tree ones, so it looks ok.

They put away the santas though.

I once had tinsel on my fence until October. The year after it should have come down, so it was up a good 22 odd months. Worked wonders for keeping the birds (peewee's and ibis) away from that part of the yard, as they taunted the cat and dog. But in my defence, I didn't put it up, it was a "busy work" project for a young teen who doesn't handle crowds, while his mother finished the Christmas shopping. He was meant to take it down again.

I also have a sculpture that has had tinsel on it for about 4 years, and I only pulled apart the table centre I made 5 or 6 years ago last February. It was a fish bowl/large brandy glass style thing, with layers of coloured sugar, glitter and battery lights. I originally thought I'd leave it until the ants found it, but for some reason they weren't interested.

#19 got my tinsel on

Posted 26 January 2020 - 12:37 AM

We don't put any up so don't have to take any down.

#20 dopeydoo

Posted 26 January 2020 - 03:08 AM

New Year’s Day here. I’m happy to have them up for New Year’s Eve but have very little tolerance for Xmas decorations in January (or any month other than December actually).

#21 onetrick

Posted 26 January 2020 - 06:18 AM

I just have some Christmas lights out over the deck and they took ages to put up and look pretty so... 3 years now?

#22 Sancti-claws

Posted 26 January 2020 - 06:25 AM

In my sister's case - why do you need to take them down, they look pretty.

In my case - Christmas lights?  What Christmas lights...

The tree was down and out of the living room by 27th December here.

#23 Not Escapin Xmas

Posted 26 January 2020 - 06:40 AM

View Posteachschoolholidays, on 25 January 2020 - 09:40 PM, said:

Everything comes down on 6 January

Same here. 12th day of Christmas. OP, you need to add this as an option.

#24 Jingleflea

Posted 26 January 2020 - 06:47 AM

I don't do lights but the tree and decorations come down on the 6th of Jan.

#25 Lucrezia Bauble

Posted 26 January 2020 - 06:48 AM

exactly + 6th of Jan - Epiphany!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.