Amusement Rides - Bad weather!

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 BECZ

Posted 26 January 2020 - 02:55 PM

Will they still run amesment rides in the rain?

I’m sure they have in the past with light showers, but there are meant to be storms on and off this afternoon.  I’m guessing they won’t run them with either thunder or lightning...???

#2 seayork2002

Posted 26 January 2020 - 02:56 PM

I think so? Just going by memories over the years so i could be wrong

#3 BadCat

Posted 26 January 2020 - 03:33 PM

They certainly used to run them regardless.  Don't know about now.

I can well remember riding the Cha Cha with my two older brothers in a storm.  The rain was bucketing down, the thunder crashing... and it was great fun.  Right up until we all slid to one side, as you always do on the Cha Cha, but the brother on the outside pushed back and I got squashed between then and shot upwards.  No seat belts, just a "safety" rail.  And if I they hadn't grabbed me as I started to go over the railing I probably would have flown off that ride and landed on the next one.  :lol:

So yeah, hopefully the safety rules are a bit stricter these days.

#4 BusbyWilkes

Posted 26 January 2020 - 03:44 PM

Perhaps with a bit of rain.

Most places would close with high wind or storms/lightening.

#5 Dianalynch

Posted 26 January 2020 - 04:06 PM

They closed due to winds and possible storms at our school fete.

#6 Tinky Winky Woo

Posted 26 January 2020 - 04:38 PM

If they are permanently fixed ones and there is no major danger they don't generally close the rides.

Non-permenant rides are cracking down and getting stricter due to the indemnity insurances now.

I won't go on rides at fares and things in bad weather, but that's just me.

#7 PrincessPeach

Posted 26 January 2020 - 04:44 PM

Dreamworld, movie world & seaworld here on the gold coast close rides as weather necessary.

All rides are closed for the duration of a thunderstorm, and certain rides are closed during high winds.

#8 **Xena**

Posted 26 January 2020 - 05:10 PM

When I went to Dreamworld as a teen they closed the ride after we got off due to rain. It started raining heavily whilst we were on it and it really hurts my face :lol:

#9 BECZ

Posted 26 January 2020 - 10:55 PM

Thanks!

We decided to go anyway, once the initial storm was over.  Luckily, it turned out to be the only storm, not multiple storms like they predicted.
There was a small amount of distant lightning just as things were finishing up.

#10 got my tinsel on

Posted 26 January 2020 - 11:38 PM

View PostBadCat, on 26 January 2020 - 03:33 PM, said:

They certainly used to run them regardless.  Don't know about now.

I can well remember riding the Cha Cha with my two older brothers in a storm.  The rain was bucketing down, the thunder crashing... and it was great fun.  Right up until we all slid to one side, as you always do on the Cha Cha, but the brother on the outside pushed back and I got squashed between then and shot upwards.  No seat belts, just a "safety" rail.  And if I they hadn't grabbed me as I started to go over the railing I probably would have flown off that ride and landed on the next one.  :lol:

So yeah, hopefully the safety rules are a bit stricter these days.

The Cha Cha was my absolute favourite ride as a kid.  Couldn't get enough of it.

I went on again as an adult (about 30yo iirc) and did I regret it!  I was nauseous and dizzy for about 10 minutes after and then for the next couple of hours the dizziness would return for about 5 seconds at a time. I was literally staggering. Have never been tempted again.

#11 born.a.girl

Posted 27 January 2020 - 06:22 AM

View Postgot my tinsel on, on 26 January 2020 - 11:38 PM, said:

The Cha Cha was my absolute favourite ride as a kid.  Couldn't get enough of it.

I went on again as an adult (about 30yo iirc) and did I regret it!  I was nauseous and dizzy for about 10 minutes after and then for the next couple of hours the dizziness would return for about 5 seconds at a time. I was literally staggering. Have never been tempted again.

That sounds like Vertigo (BPPV).   I've fallen over many times with it, fortunately no longer an issue for me.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.