Jordan

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Apageintime

Posted 26 January 2020 - 06:53 PM

Has anyone been to Jordan with kids?

We're thinking about 3-4 weeks there in January 2021 with DS who will be 6.

#2 BabyRed

Posted 26 January 2020 - 07:34 PM

Yep, we were there last January, but only for a few days to see Petra. (Rest of the trip was Israel). I loved it, and wished we could have stayed longer. We took a 3 year old and a 6 year old.
Petra is astonishing, and worth any effort/whinging. I carried the 3 year old on my back in a carrier for hours, just to make it happen.
But the delightful surprise, especially after Israel, was the hospitable Jordanians. They made every encounter fun, nothing was too much trouble, we constantly got overfed and they adore kids. They would just randomly kiss the cheeks of my redhead 3 year old, and after a while we all just went with it!
I got the feeling that there isn't a lot of tourist sites, maybe some Crusades castles up north, and the the capital isn't much, but the coast city of Aqaba is nice.
Let me know if you have any other questions. I recommend Jordan to everyone who travels :)

#3 osmund

Posted 26 January 2020 - 08:08 PM

Not yet, but it is on our short list too!

#4 lizzzard

Posted 27 January 2020 - 01:03 AM

It’s on our list for next year along with Israel. PP - did you find Israel unfriendly? After Moscow we have a thick skin, but just curious 😋

#5 Lucrezia Bauble

Posted 27 January 2020 - 06:27 AM

my sister went last year with her family and another family - they loved it. her two kids are teenagers - two girls. it was part of a tour they did commencing in Egypt...she said parts of Egypt were a bit sketchy but Jordan they loved. she posted these amazing pics of them at the Dead Sea, they were slapping mud on their faces and bodies - i remember admiring my niece in this rather, um, skimpy looking Zimmerman bikini thinking “hmmm, wonder how that’s going to go down!” but my sister said it was fine, afterwards they were all in lovely white fluffy bathrobes with the adults sipping gin and tonics (yes, gin and tonics). so Jordan is apparently quite liberal. and she said she had the most intense massage she’s ever had there! they stayed at a beautiful looking hotel - on the dead sea (i think).

#6 BabyRed

Posted 27 January 2020 - 06:42 AM

View Postlizzzard, on 27 January 2020 - 01:03 AM, said:

It’s on our list for next year along with Israel. PP - did you find Israel unfriendly? After Moscow we have a thick skin, but just curious 😋

The Israeli's aren't exactly big on customer service 😂
They are not rude or unfriendly, they just have a directness that is a bit disconcerting at first, and they don't joke around. Until we got used to it we thought everyone we met was having a bad day.

Fun story: we crossed the border from Israel to Jordan. On the Israeli side there were machine guns, grim faces and terse communication only. We crossed to Jordan and the border guards told us with straight faces that we couldn't come in - then roared with laughter when they saw our worried looks. It was like coming back to Australia 😂

Edited by BabyRed, 27 January 2020 - 06:43 AM.

#7 Christmas tree

Posted 27 January 2020 - 08:04 AM

I was there pre kids ago but I think that 3-4 weeks is possibly a bit long with kids. There are some lovely spots, Petra and wadi rum. We also stayed in madaba and did some day trips but two weeks would be ample. We did Israel in the same trip and it was also amazing.  Very different experience though. And the guns!!

#8 lizzzard

Posted 28 January 2020 - 08:17 AM

View PostBabyRed, on 27 January 2020 - 06:42 AM, said:

The Israeli's aren't exactly big on customer service
They are not rude or unfriendly, they just have a directness that is a bit disconcerting at first, and they don't joke around. Until we got used to it we thought everyone we met was having a bad day.

Fun story: we crossed the border from Israel to Jordan. On the Israeli side there were machine guns, grim faces and terse communication only. We crossed to Jordan and the border guards told us with straight faces that we couldn't come in - then roared with laughter when they saw our worried looks. It was like coming back to Australia
Love this story!

#9 courtney-b

Posted 29 January 2020 - 05:12 AM

I agree with Christmas Tree. We went pre kids and would love to go back with our kids. It is a small country and distances between destinations are short so I think 3-4 weeks is a bit long. We went for two weeks and saw everything at a leisurely pace and didn’t feel like we missed out on anything. If you have longer maybe combine it with another country.

#10 TheGreenSheep

Posted 29 January 2020 - 07:09 AM

I came from We Are Discussing thinking this was a baby names thread, however now I want to travel to Jordan!

#11 Apageintime

Posted 29 January 2020 - 10:59 AM

View Postlizzzard, on 27 January 2020 - 01:03 AM, said:

I found Moscow to be incredibly friendly!

#12 Apageintime

Posted 29 January 2020 - 11:09 AM

View Postcourtney-b, on 29 January 2020 - 05:12 AM, said:

I agree with Christmas Tree. We went pre kids and would love to go back with our kids. It is a small country and distances between destinations are short so I think 3-4 weeks is a bit long. We went for two weeks and saw everything at a leisurely pace and didn’t feel like we missed out on anything. If you have longer maybe combine it with another country.

Can you share your itinerary?

#13 eachschoolholidays

Posted 29 January 2020 - 08:01 PM

I haven’t been to Jordan but I have taken young kids to Egypt where we all had an amazing time! If you are looking for somewhere to couple with Jordan, it would work well. (My parents did it as a joint trip)

#14 courtney-b

Posted 29 January 2020 - 09:20 PM

It was just over a decade ago now so I probably won’t remember exactly, but we used Amman as a base to go to Mt Nebo, the Dead Sea, North to a place that had amazing mosaics. The main hill in Amman also had a tiny museum at the top which seemed incredibly unassuming but had some of the Dead Sea scrolls on display which was really amazing to see.

We then went out into the Wadi Rum for a night which was really cool staying in tents and having a traditional Bedouin meal.

We went to the Jordan River bordering on Israel where Jesus was supposed to have been baptized. We found this pretty average but we are not religious. The place where Moses supposedly sighted the promised land was much more impressive as the views were lovely.

We spent three days going around Petra. You could spend so long there. We didn’t have kids so it was easy to head off hiking to see what you come across after seeing the main sites (which are truly breathtaking)

We then went to the Red Sea for a couple of days. I would pay to stay somewhere really nice on the Red Sea that maybe has private access to the beach if they exist now as I didn’t feel comfortable swimming on the beach. we were the only westerners and the women in this part were all very covered and it felt like it would be disrespectful to get my clothes off. But this was 11 years ago so it could be different now.

#15 lizzzard

Posted 30 January 2020 - 06:05 AM

View PostApageintime, on 29 January 2020 - 10:59 AM, said:

I found Moscow to be incredibly friendly!

Hahahah, maybe it was the time of year. We were there in the middle of winter and the contrast with St Petersburg was striking (the latter was much more relaxed). We still loved Moscow though!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.