Kmart and Target copies

• Please log in to reply
111 replies to this topic

#1 JoanFontaine

Posted 27 January 2020 - 08:20 AM

https://www.theage.c...121-p53tfl.html

Making luxury items accessible, or trademark ripoff?
Personally I can’t believe people were paying the prices attached to the ‘originals’.

#2 Soontobegran

Posted 27 January 2020 - 08:30 AM

Unless you understand the work that goes into original art then you will not understand their value.

Kmart is well known for it's disregard for intellectual property and have paid dearly in the courts. They will continue to do so hoping that the designers will not be able to pay for the legal battles.

#3 Hollycoddle

Posted 27 January 2020 - 08:31 AM

The items noted here are basics, nothing that can even be trademarked. Good to see these so-called designers and 'artists' brought down a peg or two, go get a real job. Anyone mad enough to pay those prices deserves to be ripped off.

Edited by Hollycoddle, 27 January 2020 - 08:31 AM.

#4 ~Jolly_F~

Posted 27 January 2020 - 08:34 AM

I don’t get how any can be up in arms about it.

Everything you wear or own is a rip off of some original design.

Unless you are only buying one off handcrafted pieces, you can’t sit on your high horse judging.

#5 José

Posted 27 January 2020 - 08:35 AM

View PostHollycoddle, on 27 January 2020 - 08:31 AM, said:

Good to see these so-called designers and 'artists' brought down a peg or two, go get a real job. Anyone mad enough to pay those prices deserves to be ripped off.

Wow. That's harsh!

#6 Soontobegran

Posted 27 January 2020 - 08:42 AM

The items noted here are basics, nothing that can even be trademarked. Good to see these so-called designers and 'artists' brought down a peg or two, go get a real job. Anyone mad enough to pay those prices deserves to be ripped off.

Charming. " A real job" :huh:

You understand that EB probably has many artists and designers amongst their members.

Edited by Soontobegran, 27 January 2020 - 08:44 AM.

#7 TrixieBelden

Posted 27 January 2020 - 08:47 AM

No less of a real job than answering emails and shuffling bits of paper around an office whilst using words like ‘crisis’ to describe a minor HR issue. Which accounts for a very large number of jobs I would have thought.

The original items are expensive because of the work going into them, I imagine.  The rip offs are cheaper because people are not paid appropriately to produce them. Those people have ‘real jobs’ and deserve to be paid properly.

#8 Chocolate Addict

Posted 27 January 2020 - 08:49 AM

Wow, that is harsh.

Do you know how much it costs to manufacture products in Australia?

I make a product that has now entered main stream shops. Mine cost $250 or one particular size, Spotlight sell the same product for around $100.
The difference - My hourly rate is not $2 but 30, my fabrics cost around $15pm, Spotlight probably pay 3. I have to include insurance, labeling and all other things.
Spotlight probably pay a total of around $10 for their product, including labour, mine would cost around 200.

Do you want quality or disposable sh*t that will fall apart or break in the short term?

#9 laridae

Posted 27 January 2020 - 08:50 AM

They items are pretty basic, and even in the article one designer admits that's she got the idea from some stuff that her grandma had.  In fact, most if the items I've seen elsewhere previously in a more basic form. Whose to say they didn't come up with something similar independently?
The kmart items are more basic, but similar. And let's be realistic,  the people that are buying from kmart for $20 were never going to spend $300 on a it in the first place. And people wanting designer goods are still going to pay the $300 even if kmart has something similar for $20.

#10 ~Jolly_F~

Posted 27 January 2020 - 08:51 AM

Far out you really have have a problem people who don’t work in traditional industries with normal hours.

You have been outspoken on here before about “real” jobs whatever the **** that means. If the person is earning a living doing something then seems like a job to me.

#11 TrixieBelden

Posted 27 January 2020 - 08:53 AM

View Postlaridae, on 27 January 2020 - 08:50 AM, said:

They items are pretty basic, and even in the article one designer admits that's she got the idea from some stuff that her grandma had.  In fact, most if the items I've seen elsewhere previously in a more basic form. Whose to say they didn't come up with something similar independently?
The kmart items are more basic, but similar. And let's be realistic,  the people that are buying from kmart for $20 were never going to spend $300 on a it in the first place. And people wanting designer goods are still going to pay the $300 even if kmart has something similar for $20.

I thought this too but the business owners quoted are reporting a significant drop in sales?

Either because people are buying the alternative or no longer want the original now it looks like something from Kmart.

#12 laridae

Posted 27 January 2020 - 08:57 AM

View PostTrixieBelden, on 27 January 2020 - 08:53 AM, said:

I thought this too but the business owners quoted are reporting a significant drop in sales?

Either because people are buying the alternative or no longer want the original now it looks like something from Kmart.
But that's life, a style becomes more and more popular,  then it goes out of fashion because everyone has it. They need to come up with something new and not just expect that thing they've designed is going to be popular forever. They can't expect no one else will have something similar when it existed before anyway. And if it didn't exist before,  that's what copyright and trademarking etc is for.

Edited by laridae, 27 January 2020 - 09:00 AM.

#13 Soontobegran

Posted 27 January 2020 - 09:00 AM

View Postlaridae, on 27 January 2020 - 08:57 AM, said:

But that's life, a style becomes more and more popular,  then it goes out of fashion because everyone has it. They need to come up with something new and not just expect that thing they've designed is going to be popular forever.

And then their new design is copied too and so it goes on.

View PostTrixieBelden, on 27 January 2020 - 08:53 AM, said:

Hit the nail on the head.

#14 tothebeach

Posted 27 January 2020 - 09:01 AM

View Postlaridae, on 27 January 2020 - 08:57 AM, said:

But that's life, a style becomes more and more popular,  then it goes out of fashion because everyone has it. They need to come up with something new and not just expect that thing they've designed is going to be popular forever.
Exactly.  That’s the case for all fashion.  It’s exclusive for a while and then enters the mainstream.  Once it’s mainstream, people wanting a designer offering move to the next thing.

As designers surely they are constantly innovating - not expecting that their single item remains popular forever.  

Plus circular mirrors and shelves are everywhere.   By the time they get to Kmart, you know that the next trend is about to start.

#15 laridae

Posted 27 January 2020 - 09:02 AM

View PostSoontobegran, on 27 January 2020 - 09:00 AM, said:

And then their new design is copied too and so it goes on.

Yes. It probably will if they've based their designs on something that already existed anyway!

If you want specific examples.
Those cases in the article, look almost exactly like the old cases my mum has, only these are pink and hers were brown.
The circular shelves, she got the idea from her grandma's shelves.
The wicker shopping cart. Just an elaboration on the basic large shopping basket you'd find in most supermarkets.
They are not new ideas, just a variation on something that already existed so I can't see how they can complain when someone else does another variation on it.

Edited by laridae, 27 January 2020 - 09:08 AM.

#16 kimasa

Posted 27 January 2020 - 09:04 AM

Retail spending is significantly down all over though. Everyone is having a loss in sales, so it's a tricky one to identify the legitimate cause.

It's a hard one to navigate. The H&M case was an easy one, because they used an artist's =picture and put it directly on a tshirt.

Kmart made a wicker basket on wheels. Something that has existed for in excess of a century. Round shelves and suitcases pre-date their alleged original designers in the article too. To be honest when I opened that article I was expecting something a bit more specific than wicker baskets, vintage looking suitcases and shelves.

Edited by kimasa, 27 January 2020 - 09:05 AM.

#17 tothebeach

Posted 27 January 2020 - 09:05 AM

Also - I don’t think that Kmart specifically copied their circular shelves.  Just google circular shelves and they are everywhere.  

The pink kids suitcases are on Ali-express, Adair’s etc.  clearly the target ones are plastic toys.   They are not going to take market share away from the designer ones.

#18 Soontobegran

Posted 27 January 2020 - 09:05 AM

View Postlaridae, on 27 January 2020 - 09:02 AM, said:

Yes. It probably will if they've based their designs on something that already existed anyway!

So nobody has original ideas ? How so?

#19 FuzzyChocolateToes

Posted 27 January 2020 - 09:07 AM

Can't say I'm surprised. It seems to be Kmart's business model since that last shake up - shift large amounts of in fashion items dirt cheap aa quick as possible. It's dodgy.

#20 EmmDasher

Posted 27 January 2020 - 09:09 AM

I think it’s sad. I don’t mind if they manufacture their own version that’s ‘inspired by’ but clearly different but so often it’s virtually a direct copy. Usually the quality of the original is so much better - they’re often more expensive because they’re hand made or made in better working conditions with higher grade materials.

Easier said than done because a lot of small businesses are short on resources and money but some of them could seek better protection. The wicker pull along basket could probably have tried for a registered design and with a few small tweaks, the suitcases might have been able to incorporate something unique but registerable aswell. Kmart can always ignore registered IP but it does offer slightly more protection and make it easier if you do want to stop them.

Edited by EmmDasher, 27 January 2020 - 09:17 AM.

#21 Thylacine

Posted 27 January 2020 - 09:09 AM

View Postkimasa, on 27 January 2020 - 09:04 AM, said:

Kmart made a wicker basket on wheels. Something that has existed for in excess of a century. Round shelves and suitcases pre-date their alleged original designers in the article too. To be honest when I opened that article I was expecting something a bit more specific than wicker baskets, vintage looking suitcases and shelves.

Yep. Normally I'd be on the artist's side, but to try and claim a rectangular storage box with handles as your own intellectual property is silly

#22 laridae

Posted 27 January 2020 - 09:11 AM

View PostSoontobegran, on 27 January 2020 - 09:05 AM, said:

So nobody has original ideas ? How so?
Scroll up as I edited to add specifics. The original designers are probably long dead.

#23 #notallcats

Posted 27 January 2020 - 09:13 AM

I don't think the items are basic, and the copies are nearly identical, especially the baskets from Target.  I doubt they came up with it themselves.  If you're a small designer/producer, it would be devastating.  You can't compete.  If we want everything to come from Kmart, then this is the right way to go.  Because small designer will give up and get a "real job".  And before anyone says it, yes everyone deserves "nice" things but Kmart stuff is not sustainable in every single definition of the word - the product, manufacturing, material, employment, environmentally.  It will impact us all in the future.

#24 Soontobegran

Posted 27 January 2020 - 09:18 AM

View Postlaridae, on 27 January 2020 - 09:11 AM, said:

The original designers are probably long dead.

Ummmm....no.
One can tell what has been designed in recent years/ decades.

Edited by Soontobegran, 27 January 2020 - 09:20 AM.

#25 laridae

Posted 27 January 2020 - 09:22 AM

View PostSoontobegran, on 27 January 2020 - 09:18 AM, said:

Ummmm....no.
One can tell what has been designed in recent years/ decades.
Umm. Yes. As I said, I've seen all those things previously.  My mum had some very similar stuff from when she was a kid. The colour has changed. But that's about it. It's all very vintage style stuff that's come back in fashion and been 'designed' again.

Edited by laridae, 27 January 2020 - 09:23 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.