What do you do with all the poo?

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#26 just roses

Posted 27 January 2020 - 07:47 PM

Nothing. We’re really lucky in that our dog likes to poo in the back of the back yard. It’s very rare that he’ll drop one on the grass. So we almost never see it or smell it. I was up the back back for the first time in many months the other day and found his deposit zone! As a whippet, he is very clean and is very careful to poo well away from anywhere he likes to run/play.

#27 Lallalla

Posted 27 January 2020 - 07:52 PM

View Post*Spikey*, on 27 January 2020 - 12:53 PM, said:

Using cheaper dog food = more poo.

The first thing you might want to consider, is what the dogs are eating, as the cheaper it is, the more filler in it, and the larger the serves needed to feed your dog.

We have Royal Canin, Hills Z/D, and Blackhawk, and the poos produced are not overwhelming, even with three dogs.

A poo composter is also an excellent option - and the added bonus is all of those nutrients for the garden after the worms have done their bit. We have those too, but don't use them that often any more.

Then there is the bin.

Ok so we don’t quite manage Hills and Blackhawk, but I’d hardly call Eukanuba or Advance “cheap”.

Also how big are your 3 dogs? Are the tiny by any chance? And what breed and how fast is their individual metabolism? That makes a massive difference. Our main perpetrator is the bigger of the 2, but only by 3kg, but he also eats double what she does and is still rail thin so super fast metabolism. And his poops are more in line with bigger breed I have had previously.

Might have to look into dog poo composter... I wonder what happens when they eat plastic (another ongoing issue with the same dog)

#28 Lou-bags

Posted 27 January 2020 - 08:31 PM

We have an ensopet dog poo composter that you dig into the ground. It’s great. I keep the starter mix (microbes etc) in a moccona jar nearby in the shade, to shake over the poop each time.

Our council was selling them one per household at about 50% of retail.

#29 JRA

Posted 27 January 2020 - 08:53 PM

we have a toilet in the shed/pool area. Perfect for dog poo.

#30 justbreath

Posted 27 January 2020 - 08:53 PM

I flush it down the toilet but I also have to agree with a previous comment re it disappearing... I thought I was going crazy but it does seem like within a couple of days it’s gone!

#31 WaitForMe

Posted 27 January 2020 - 09:04 PM

View Posteigne, on 27 January 2020 - 12:42 PM, said:

I have this one: https://compostrevol...3RoCNF4QAvD_BwE

All you can see above ground is the lid, the rest is below the surface. I don’t use the tongs - I think you’d have to have fairly consistently formed turds for that!! We have a trowel that we keep next to the composter.

I made my own one of these by cutting off the bottom of a plastic garbage bin and drilling some holes in the side. All you can see is the black plastic lid.

https://pethaus.com....t-poo-composter

Although... must admit, once it filled up I never got around to digging a new hole for it, and so it all goes in the garbage bin for now. I really must start it back up again.

#32 caitiri

Posted 27 January 2020 - 09:19 PM

View PostCaitlin Happymeal, on 27 January 2020 - 06:41 PM, said:

I just went on a bit of a search to see what my council recommends, and they don't even mention it. The closest I can find is pet litter (accompanied by a picture of a kitty litter tray), which apparently goes in compost. So I assume dog doo is the same... I'll keep putting mine in the raised (but as yet, unfilled) garden beds that will eventually become veggie gardens. Hopefully that's the right thing to do...?

I don’t know about dog poo, but cat poo shouldn’t be composted for veggie gardens or anything your going to eat.  Domestic compost doesn’t reach temps high enough to kill all the bad stuff.

#33 *Spikey*

Posted 28 January 2020 - 06:20 AM

View PostLallalla, on 27 January 2020 - 07:52 PM, said:

Ok so we don’t quite manage Hills and Blackhawk, but I’d hardly call Eukanuba or Advance “cheap”.

Also how big are your 3 dogs? Are the tiny by any chance? And what breed and how fast is their individual metabolism? That makes a massive difference. Our main perpetrator is the bigger of the 2, but only by 3kg, but he also eats double what she does and is still rail thin so super fast metabolism. And his poops are more in line with bigger breed I have had previously.

Might have to look into dog poo composter... I wonder what happens when they eat plastic (another ongoing issue with the same dog)

2 Norwegian Elkhounds, 1 Finnish Lapphund. All at the 20+kg mark. So no, not tiny. It's also summer. They don't do much at the moment to work it off, it's too hot for them during the day to run around.

The plastic does not compost. But I don't suppose small bits will matter here or there.

On the maggots (PP), if you are spraying, you're killing off the worms you need to get the compost going. You may do better to turn it over more frequently and introduce new worms once this batch is out of the composter.

#34 Mister Mum

Posted 28 January 2020 - 06:27 AM

I have a healthy population of dung beetles that would surely be devastated if I were to pick up their food source.

Those little guys really work hard, it takes them less than day to "process" several poops.

#35 IkeaAddict

Posted 28 January 2020 - 08:07 AM

My dog eats raw meat for all his meals and his poos are very minimal and generally get broken down by roaches or ants etc.

#36 SummerStar

Posted 28 January 2020 - 08:15 AM

Mine all eat raw too and we did not notice a decrease in poo before we switched to it and after...

#37 DaLittleEd

Posted 28 January 2020 - 12:45 PM

View Postjustbreath, on 27 January 2020 - 08:53 PM, said:

I flush it down the toilet but I also have to agree with a previous comment re it disappearing... I thought I was going crazy but it does seem like within a couple of days it’s gone!

Your dog could be eating it...

#38 Sentient Puddle

Posted 28 January 2020 - 12:46 PM

Our Council allows us to put it into our Green Waste bin.

#39 Kafkaesque

Posted 28 January 2020 - 04:14 PM

I put it straight in the general rubbish bin, no plastic just dump it straight in. I usually pick up daily and leave it until it’s started to dry out so that it doesn’t squish too much in the bin.

#40 BeachesBaby

Posted 28 January 2020 - 04:49 PM

We flush it mostly, since your septic tank or sewer system will be better equipped than the garbage dump to handle poop. But we’ll soon be getting a compost bin and will be putting it in there too.

#41 hills mum bec

Posted 28 January 2020 - 04:57 PM

View PostIkeaAddict, on 28 January 2020 - 08:07 AM, said:

My dog eats raw meat for all his meals and his poos are very minimal and generally get broken down by roaches or ants etc.

Same.  We have two largish dogs on a raw meat diet and don't notice their poo in the back yard at all.  They tend to do their business in the back of the yard and it disintegrates into the lawn after a few days to nothing.  Our older dog used to eat a mix of tin & dry supermarket food and we were always having to pick up the poo but there really is so much less poo with a raw food diet.

#42 kadoodle

Posted 28 January 2020 - 07:40 PM

I just get a screen-absorbed teenager to walk it through the bloody house 🤬

Otherwise, compost heap.

#43 Chelli

Posted 28 January 2020 - 08:16 PM

Mine conveniently do it under one of the bushes in the back yard so I rarely see any dog poop. Wallabies around here are much less considerate though and I'm always stepping in that :glare:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.