I think my dog is sick

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 just roses

Posted 27 January 2020 - 07:42 PM

I’m trying not to be a helicopter dog parent, but I’m also unsure about what point I should take my boy to the vet, or just wait and hope he just bounces back.

He hasn’t eaten all day and hasn’t drunk a lot. He’s been outside only for a wee or two and has spent all day sleeping/lying around/looking sad. He has a temperature and seems to have an elevated heart rate. No obvious pain anywhere.

When DH asked him if he’d like a walk, he didn’t react at all, which is very out of character.

What would you do? Wait and see? Take him to the vet? I don’t feel experienced enough with dogs to know whether this is just a bug or something and he’ll bounce back.

#2 Froyohoho

Posted 27 January 2020 - 07:45 PM

If he's that flat I'd take him to the vet. I hope he's better soon.

#3 rubyskye

Posted 27 January 2020 - 07:46 PM

I would take my dog to the vet (I'm a Vet Nurse myself). Best to get him checked out.

#4 just roses

Posted 27 January 2020 - 07:48 PM

Tonight, do you think? Or would you wait until morning?

#5 Froyohoho

Posted 27 January 2020 - 07:49 PM

As soon as is practical.

#6 Anon wife

Posted 27 January 2020 - 07:52 PM

I’m in no way qualified to answer but could you possibly try giving him some boiled chicken with plain rice & see if he’s hungry now? If he’s not I’d probably take him in for a check or even call your local vet for advice?

#7 just roses

Posted 27 January 2020 - 10:15 PM

Thanks all. He vomited twice soon after I posted this so I took him to the 24hr vet and they ran some tests. He’s been hyperventilating (carbon dioxide in blood, I think the vet said) and is dehydrated. So he’s been admitted on an IV and we’ll see what the morning brings.

#8 BECZ

Posted 27 January 2020 - 10:25 PM

Sounds worrying just roses.  
Hope he improves overnight!

#9 Anon wife

Posted 27 January 2020 - 10:30 PM

Thinking of you & fingers crossed for a speedy recovery xx

#10 Ellie bean

Posted 27 January 2020 - 10:37 PM

I’m glad you took him in, I hope he is better soon

#11 just roses

Posted 27 January 2020 - 10:40 PM

Thank you - I appreciate the support! It’s so hard with animals, that they can’t tell you what’a wrong.

I miss him but feel so much better with him being in safe hands and monitored overnight.

#12 Ellie bean

Posted 27 January 2020 - 10:47 PM

I’m no expert but just wanted to say it could be something really simple- years ago one of my dogs ate something really rotten on a walk (I couldn’t stop her in time- it really stank) and she had the same sort of symptoms a day or so later, a day on an IV completely fixed her- I hope it’s just something like that

#13 *Spikey*

Posted 28 January 2020 - 06:13 AM

Poor pupper. Hope he is okay this morning.

#14 rubyskye

Posted 28 January 2020 - 06:25 AM

View Postjust roses, on 27 January 2020 - 10:15 PM, said:

Thanks all. He vomited twice soon after I posted this so I took him to the 24hr vet and they ran some tests. He’s been hyperventilating (carbon dioxide in blood, I think the vet said) and is dehydrated. So he’s been admitted on an IV and we’ll see what the morning brings.

Hope he's going better this morning justroses. Good on you for getting him to the vet so soon :)

#15 Jingleflea

Posted 28 January 2020 - 07:41 AM

I have a cat, but if it's gotten to the point where they LOOK sick, then it's vet time. Animals hide their illnesses so if they look and act sick, then it's definitely time to get them checked out.

I hope pupper is ok this morning.

#16 just roses

Posted 28 January 2020 - 08:16 AM

Thank you :-)

The vet called early this morning to say he’d had a good night and was a bit brighter. But because it’s still a bit of a mystery what’s wrong with him, they’ll keep him until later this afternoon. Hoping he’ll be fighting fit by then!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.