Packing warm food in lunchbox

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 bluemama

Posted 29 January 2020 - 10:58 AM

How do you go about packing things like nuggets and other warm food in a lunchbox

Is there any other tips on packing food such as preparing most of the food the night before and storing it in the fridge for example

Its now hitting me i actually have to pack food everyday and I'm quietly having a meltdown

#2 dadwasathome

Posted 29 January 2020 - 11:03 AM

I use vacuum flasks for warm food - one DS regularly takes soup (normal flask), and the other pasta in a wide-mouthed flask.

#3 Riotproof

Posted 29 January 2020 - 11:04 AM

Thermos food container.
Preheat thermos with boiling water and the lid on for at least 10 minutes.
You heat until very very hot. Then pack thermos quite full.

For non wet things, I heat up wrapped in aluminum foil And dry out the preheated thermos, then line with paper towel and put food in.

Have you got a child starting fyos? The most important thing is that they can open everything themselves.

Edited by Riotproof, 29 January 2020 - 11:13 AM.

#4 rosie28

Posted 29 January 2020 - 11:13 AM

We have food flasks for warm food. Worked well in kinder so hoping it will also work for school.

#5 just roses

Posted 29 January 2020 - 11:20 AM

We have had the Thermos Foogo containers for about five years and they’re brilliant. You just fill with boiling water, screw on the lid, tip it out after ten mins, give a quick wipe and then fill with hot food. My kids have all sorts of food in them but love mini quiches. I just make sure they’re hot from the microwave.

#6 Murderino

Posted 29 January 2020 - 12:58 PM

Another who uses wide mouth thermos flasks - although as I read this I realise we forget to preheat DS’ thermos this morning. The sausage rolls he made yesterday might not be great today.

We used to have a pie warmer in the staff room (small school) so I sent their food in a stainless steel lunchbox so this is annoying! We had an acting principal who maintained it was an OH&S risk - were hoping the new one will bring it back.

#7 Grrrumbles

Posted 29 January 2020 - 01:08 PM

Ikea have a cheap thermos for those worried about sending expensive ones to school.

I have two, no dents or wear after lots of use but on one the bottom comes off in the hot wash in the sink but easily goes back on. They are a good compact shape and wide at the top.

DS sits at his desk to eat lunch but I am not sure how well it would work for littler kids who eat outside.

#8 Jingleflea

Posted 29 January 2020 - 01:12 PM

I don't send hot food to school lol.
Tried once or twice with DD, but she didn't like eating warm food at school.  They eat lunch early (11) so she prefers a salad plate type thing or sandwich etc.

#9 Riotproof

Posted 29 January 2020 - 01:17 PM

Jingle flea, ds loves it when he takes a hot lunch. It’s always one of his favourite things.. curry and rice, pasta, little pies or sausage rolls, even chicken schnitzel.
I wish he liked sandwiches.

#10 Murderino

Posted 29 January 2020 - 01:31 PM

RP my kids don’t like sandwiches either- it’s annoying. Eight yo DS will make spaghetti bolognaise before school so he can have a hot lunch! He made the sausage he rolls yesterday ready for rest of this week.

Their dad sends sandwiches and I’m pretty sure the kids bin them.

#11 Riotproof

Posted 29 January 2020 - 02:13 PM

Murderino, ds’s problem is his sandwich options are so limited. He will have a cold sausage sandwich and a tuna sandwich sometimes but that’s it really. He is fortunately starting to like ham that’s not on pizza, which is helpful.

Today he had tomato, grated carrot, cucumber and some ham and salami.

#12 MayaTheGrinch

Posted 29 January 2020 - 02:27 PM

Yep just a thermos container. We have a round one that’s about 500mls which isn’t too big for lunch. I uk don’t bother doing the hot water thing but heating up food to very very hot and putting it in and we have had no problems. Well except the few times the kids put it in the fridge at school. Otherwise will he eat chicken nuggets cold? Mine take those cold if they want them. (And mine have literally only just started taking sandwiches in the last year. Though it’s usually a toasted sandwich that is put in the fridge).

#13 SeaPrincess

Posted 29 January 2020 - 02:46 PM

We have the Thermos containers as well. The children mainly use them for leftover pasta or rice dishes. One of my children doesn’t like hot food at lunch because even with preheating and fully nuking the food, he likes to eat it hotter than it is by lunchtime.

#14 Riotproof

Posted 29 January 2020 - 02:53 PM

Soup is really the best for staying hot. I am planning on sending pea and ham soup this year as it is such a great lunch.

#15 Meelah

Posted 29 January 2020 - 03:30 PM

We have a "thermos" brand wide mouth flask and it is great at keeping food warm.

My kids also like to eat things like chicken nuggets, sausage rolls etc cold, they are not big fans of sandwiches.
One of their favourite lunches is cold chicken nuggets with cherry tomatoes, baby cucumbers, cheesesticks & baby corn.
Very easy to bake a big batch of nuggets on the weekend to use throughout the week :)

#16 Murderino

Posted 29 January 2020 - 07:18 PM

View PostRiotproof, on 29 January 2020 - 02:13 PM, said:

Murderino, ds’s problem is his sandwich options are so limited. He will have a cold sausage sandwich and a tuna sandwich sometimes but that’s it really. He is fortunately starting to like ham that’s not on pizza, which is helpful.

Today he had tomato, grated carrot, cucumber and some ham and salami.

Oh yes my DS also loves to take a “salad” - lettuce, tomato, grated carrot and cheese! On those days we include an ice brick.

#17 Leslie Knope

Posted 29 January 2020 - 07:47 PM

I order online from the canteen. It’s costs more and may not be in your budget but it took the worry out of keeping food warm for lunch.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.