How often do you clean your ears?

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#1 purpleduck

Posted 29 January 2020 - 12:26 PM

I used to clean my ears with cotton buds most days after my shower (hate the wet feeling in them), but I have heard that its not actually a good habit as ears are basically self-cleaning.

Here's one link with some info:
https://www.health.q...ud-ear-cleaning

So overall I have adjusted to the new non-habit but have succumbed a couple of times and done a careful clean. Pretty dark and gross and I've been careful not to clean too deep (if that is possible).

Anyway, I was just curious, who else still cleans their ears and if you don't, do you ever do a onceover and clear out that wax?

#2 kimasa

Posted 29 January 2020 - 12:39 PM

A couple of times a week.

I used to get reoccurring ear infections until someone on here mentioned metal ear picks from China. Haven't had a single ear infection since.

#3 Soontobegran

Posted 29 January 2020 - 12:39 PM

Every day when I shower I wash the part that I can reach without poking.
Any more than this is dangerous to the ear.

#4 Dirty Cat

Posted 29 January 2020 - 12:41 PM

Metal ear picks ??

#5 Demera

Posted 29 January 2020 - 12:48 PM

I usually shower just before I go to bed, and I can't stand water dropping into my ear when I lie down on my side, so I try to pick up the excess water with a cotton bud from my ears almost every day.  If my shower isn't immediately before bed, I don't bother.

#6 purpleduck

Posted 29 January 2020 - 12:49 PM

Ok, so I'm learning new things all the time :D

https://www.youtube....h?v=ld_8zROYDzw

https://www.youtube....h?v=mNY9DH6xHVc

Good news is that the environment will be happier without me purchasing those plastic cotton tips (I'm working my way through my current box and have a bamboo one to replace it for the times when I will be doing non-ear related activities ;) )

#7 kimasa

Posted 29 January 2020 - 12:53 PM

View PostDirty Cat, on 29 January 2020 - 12:41 PM, said:

Metal ear picks ??

https://en.m.wikiped...g/wiki/Ear_pick

#8 YodaTheWrinkledOne

Posted 29 January 2020 - 12:53 PM

After having a shower, I use a tissue over my little finger while I am drying myself off. I figure that's probably the smallest thing I should be shoving down my ear canal by myself.

DH gets major ear wax build-up. He goes to the GP whenever it gets too bad (1-2 times a year) and they clean it out for him. He's been told numerous times by many doctors not to use cotton buds in his ears.

#9 seayork2002

Posted 29 January 2020 - 01:18 PM

I was told many years ago never to stick anything (as in cotton buds) in my ear so I leave it till I can't hear and get the nurse (dr at some surgeries) to syringe them.

I have had it done 3/4 times in my life

Edited by seayork2002, 29 January 2020 - 01:18 PM.

#10 Silverstreak

Posted 29 January 2020 - 02:30 PM

I used to clean them all the time with cotton buds but ended up blocking my ears. Now I use a tissue and ear drops every now and then. I should probably check out that ear pick.

#11 Kallie88

Posted 29 January 2020 - 02:43 PM

When I shower and feel the need I'll just scrape the sides with my finger/nail so it's not a deep clean just getting excess wax off the surface.

#12 Luci

Posted 29 January 2020 - 05:01 PM

I dry the outer ear with a towel when I wash my hair but that's about it for ear maintenance.

#13 Backtoschoolchef

Posted 29 January 2020 - 05:08 PM

After a shower I give them a wipe with a tissue but not a cotton bud.

#14 Soontobegran

Posted 29 January 2020 - 05:09 PM

View Postkimasa, on 29 January 2020 - 12:53 PM, said:

OMG.

#15 Lucrezia Bauble

Posted 29 January 2020 - 05:14 PM

View PostSoontobegran, on 29 January 2020 - 05:09 PM, said:

OMG.

i know...but, i would LOVE to attack my ears with something like that. i used to be a serial cotton bud offender on my ears, i just loved shoving it down the canal and having a good scratch. needless to say i have developed a whole host of ear problems, irritated skin etc. i sometimes feel like i have small insects crawling down my ear canal. i’ve been reliably informed i don’t - and have been told very emphatically not to put anything else down them. but those ear picks look like heaven.

#16 Ozquoll

Posted 29 January 2020 - 05:14 PM

Don't think I've ever cleaned my ears, except maybe when I've got water in them after swimming 🤷

#17 boysescakes

Posted 29 January 2020 - 05:18 PM

Never? People regularly clean their ears? Wow ok!

#18 gruidae

Posted 29 January 2020 - 05:21 PM

View Postpurpleduck, on 29 January 2020 - 12:26 PM, said:

I used to clean my ears with cotton buds most days after my shower (hate the wet feeling in them), but I have heard that its not actually a good habit as ears are basically self-cleaning.

You may have very narrow ear canals like me. Makes it hard for moisture to drain. I use Aqua Ear drops after swimming and after washing my hair. You can get them OTC at the chemist.They dry out the moisture without needing to stick anything into your ear canal. They can make the skin on the outer part of the ear a little dry and flaky where they drain. I just rub a tiny amount of vitamin e cream on that part of the lobe. The drops do have a bit of an odour to them though but it doesn't persist after 5 minutes or so.

#19 Soontobegran

Posted 29 January 2020 - 05:23 PM

View PostLucrezia Bauble, on 29 January 2020 - 05:14 PM, said:

i know...but, i would LOVE to attack my ears with something like that. i used to be a serial cotton bud offender on my ears, i just loved shoving it down the canal and having a good scratch. needless to say i have developed a whole host of ear problems, irritated skin etc. i sometimes feel like i have small insects crawling down my ear canal. i’ve been reliably informed i don’t - and have been told very emphatically not to put anything else down them. but those ear picks look like heaven.

Before I knew better I used a bobby pin.......It was pretty satisfying withdrawing all the goop in the bend ..until I accidentally had a rush of blood and poked too far and put a hole in my ear drum.
I do blame my mum for this, she taught me the bobby pin thing.

#20 Lucrezia Bauble

Posted 29 January 2020 - 05:24 PM

yeh i’ve done the booby pin thing too. sooooo so satisfying. my GP was appalled.

#21 Lunagirl

Posted 29 January 2020 - 05:27 PM

Not regularly, but they sometimes get itchy and then I (carefully) stick a cotton bud down. I try not to push anything further down but am probably kidding myself that I'm not. It is so satisfying though!

#22 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 29 January 2020 - 05:27 PM

I have this weird, rare, thing where if I stick anything in my ear I have a coughing fit. So they don’t get cleaned very often.

I do dry them very well with a tissue after a shower cause my ears trap water easily.

#23 Luci

Posted 29 January 2020 - 05:34 PM

Apologies to anyone who is browing EB while eating dinner!  I think some people have more wax in their ears than others.  I never really clean my ears because I don't think they need it.  My DH however does clean his sometimes with ear buds and they are pretty gross. He also gets built up ear wax which has to be syringed by the GP.

#24 PrincessPeach

Posted 29 January 2020 - 05:43 PM

Little mr we have to use the cleanin spray every second day otherwise he ends up in pain from excess wax.

Myself, i dry what i can reach with a tissue.

#25 BECZ

Posted 29 January 2020 - 05:44 PM

DP uses a bamboo ear pick.
I get using your own, but his family ‘share’ one!  No cleaning beyond wiping with a dry tissue.  Just grosses me out.

I find if I get into the habit, I have to clean my ears daily.

If I force myself to leave it for a few days, over time I can leave it longer and longer.  I guess it builds up a thin protective coating where when I do it daily, it feels irritated.

I remember my mum using a bobby pin on us as kids if we ran out of ear buds.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.