75th birthday - nice restaurant Sydney - ideas?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 purpleduck

Posted 29 January 2020 - 01:19 PM

We have a family member turning 75 this year and we had planned to go to Fort Denison but they are closed for maintenance :(

Does anyone have any ideas for a nice restaurant in the CBD with nice views/ambiance/food that they can recommend? Only a small group of us including kids. Budget isn't an issue.

#2 Not Escapin Xmas

Posted 29 January 2020 - 01:29 PM

Cafe Sydney. Great views, easy to get to, delicious food, something for everyone.

#3 qak

Posted 29 January 2020 - 02:07 PM

No views, but food, ambiance & service for a small group with no budget constraints - private dining room at est or Cafe Sydney (the latter has no view when seated).

#4 Kalanchoe

Posted 29 January 2020 - 02:10 PM

Aqua Dining at Milsons Point is lovely for special occasions. Stunning views over the pool, harbour & Luna Park too.

#5 aquarium2

Posted 29 January 2020 - 03:24 PM

Chiswick in Woollahra is fabulous for lunch and dinner.

I love Burnt Orange in Mosman, beautiful setting for a family event.

#6 Moukmouk

Posted 29 January 2020 - 03:31 PM

Cafe Sydney has a kids menu and is lovely. Aqua dining is also nice. Depending on where you are Ormeggio at the Spit is fabulous - sorry, just re read that you wanted cbd, but I’ll still include it.

#7 IamOzgirl

Posted 29 January 2020 - 03:33 PM

cafe Sydney,

And Chiswick at the art gallery.

Also the restaurant in the Hyatt opposite the opera house is actually reasonable.

#8 YodaTheWrinkledOne

Posted 29 January 2020 - 03:35 PM

With harbour views of SHB, OH, etc
- Quay
- Bennelong
- Aqua
- Wild Ginger
- Graze MCA
- Ripples
- Sails on Lavendar Bay
- Altum

For water views away from the Harbour, I like Cottage Point Inn, The Boathouse, or Ommeggio .

Edited by YodaTheWrinkledOne, 29 January 2020 - 03:49 PM.

#9 aquarium2

Posted 29 January 2020 - 03:37 PM

Sorry I didn't see the CBD bit!

for the CBD I'd look at Barangaroo, many good ones to choose from Cirrus is great.

And don't forget ARIA and all time favourite of mine on Circular Quay.

Restaurant Hubert is excellent in Bligh Street as is Rockpool Bar and Grill on Hunter Street.

#10 Lucrezia Bauble

Posted 29 January 2020 - 03:43 PM

if you want to go a bit further afield Pilu at Freshwater beach is nice....if the kids get bored they can head down to the beach!

otherwise Sails Lavender Bay is nice. or Catalina.

#11 Lucrezia Bauble

Posted 29 January 2020 - 03:52 PM

sorry...i missed CBD too!

no views but good ambience are Mr Wong’s (Chinese) or Beppis (you can get a private dining room among all the Grange and St Henri’s). for a view you can’t really go past Bennelong - although i think it may have recently lost its chef.

#12 JBH

Posted 29 January 2020 - 04:22 PM

Some good suggestions here. I haven’t been there, but I would expect Lotus in the Chinese Gardens at Darling Harbour would have a lovely ambience and I have eaten at other Lotus outlets and the food is great.

#13 Givingitanothergo

Posted 29 January 2020 - 08:55 PM

Rockpool bar and Dining is great as are their private dining rooms. Same goes for spice temple next door. Also great private dining and kid friendly. Recently Revisited cafe Sydney and great views if outside and kid friendly and customer service is top notch but tourist friendly. Meat and wine co is great at Barangaroo

#14 purpleduck

Posted 29 January 2020 - 09:31 PM

Oh my goodness, you guys are fantastic! Now to go do some research!!! :) For those who have suggested outside CBD as well, thats fine, I guess it is more the views etc that I was after. After being born here, I still love the harbour :wub:

I'll let you all know where we end up :)

#15 dreamweaver80

Posted 29 January 2020 - 09:46 PM

View PostLucrezia Bauble, on 29 January 2020 - 03:52 PM, said:

sorry...i missed CBD too!

no views but good ambience are Mr Wong’s (Chinese) or Beppis (you can get a private dining room among all the Grange and St Henri’s). for a view you can’t really go past Bennelong - although i think it may have recently lost its chef.

The chef of Bennelong is Peter Gilmore and he's definitely still there. And was awarded Good Food Chef of the Year for 2019. That was the first restaurant I thought of when I saw this post. Depending on the size of the group, they have some really nice semi-private areas and of course the harbour view box is definitely ticked. Food is amazing, I've eaten there several times as I used to work in the head office of the company that owns/operates Bennelong, Quay and others.
Others have given some great suggestions as well!

#16 itsallnew

Posted 29 January 2020 - 10:22 PM

We had my FIL’s 70th at Doyle’s at Watson’s Bay, it was lovely

#17 lizzzard

Posted 29 January 2020 - 10:49 PM

Chiswick at Wollahra is great for a family event.

Bathers Pavillion for views - it's just been renovated.

#18 seasection

Posted 31 January 2020 - 05:35 PM

Neilson Park Cafe and Restaurant or Ripples. Ripples is gorgeous.

Edited by seasection, 31 January 2020 - 05:35 PM.

#19 IamOzgirl

Posted 31 January 2020 - 07:03 PM

Do your research lots of suggestions don't have views.

#20 1lexi1

Posted 31 January 2020 - 07:12 PM

View Postlizzzard, on 29 January 2020 - 10:49 PM, said:

Chiswick at Wollahra is great for a family event.

Bathers Pavillion for views - it's just been renovated.

Was just about to suggest Bathers as well - it's lovely! My mum had her 60th in the private room of the restaurant side - it was a few years ago but great!!

Love Cafe Sydney too.

#21 Hands Up

Posted 31 January 2020 - 09:12 PM

I love cafe Sydney. Such a special spot.

#22 Lifesgood

Posted 31 January 2020 - 09:21 PM

How about Bennelong?

#23 YodaTheWrinkledOne

Posted 01 February 2020 - 05:24 PM

View PostIamOzgirl, on 31 January 2020 - 07:03 PM, said:

Do your research lots of suggestions don't have views.
Sometimes it depends on where you are seated in the restaurant in terms of a water/harbour view while dining.

#24 IamOzgirl

Posted 01 February 2020 - 07:05 PM

Yes but Chiswick woollarha has zero views no matter where you sit!

#25 IamOzgirl

Posted 01 February 2020 - 07:07 PM

And spice temple is in a basement!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.