Help! Cat weeing and pooing around the house!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 MuddyPuddles

Posted 29 January 2020 - 01:47 PM

Help please EB cat owners! I'm at my wits end with 2yo indoor female cat.

We got her around 12 weeks old from a rescue organisation, she had been fostered with her mum and siblings. She was desexed before she was released to us.

Around 8 months old she started weeing at our carport door on the lino floor. We would clean it off with the special sprays you get from city farmers that supposedly masks the smell and deter them from coming back (we've tried about 4 types), none stopped the behavour.

We added a second kitty litter box in a different location in case she didnt like the other location or type (one is more open and deeper, one is more private and shallow). We tried different types of kitty litter (crystal, paper and clay based). We tried citrus spray and alfoil on the floor.

We make sure she has lots of high up private places to hide in case the loud kids were bothering her (she doesnt seem bothered, and they're not rough with her). We have lots of windows that we regularly keep open so she can watch wildlife and smell outside for stimulation.

None of this worked and at around a year old she started peeing in the bedrooms under desks on carpet. We took her to the vet to rule out anything medical, the vet said it could be stress from neighbourhood cats taunting her and she recommended Feliway diffuser and spray (https://www.feliway....ELIWAY-Diffuser). This had no effect.

Also, to clarify, she's not spraying or marking the walls, she's peeing by squatting like she would in her litter box. Sometimes it's large amounts and sometimes its small amounts.

This has continued and the last 6 months she's also been intermittently pooing in random places, sometimes under desks, sometimes in open corners or open spaces.

We are about to refloor our house to sell it, and I'm beyond stressed that she's going to ruin the new floors when they go down and we wont be able to get rid of the smell.

I'm lost and don't know what else I can try!  Has anyone had a similar experience? Any advice of other things we can try?

Edited by MuddyPuddles, 29 January 2020 - 01:50 PM.

#2 *Spikey*

Posted 29 January 2020 - 05:23 PM

When cats are urinating next to their box, and other similar problems, there is usually a pretty good reason.

The first reason is usually litter box related. You've done all of the standard changes - extra box, change type of litter box, improved, private position. The only other thing that might be at issue is the frequency that the litter is changed - we do ours every second day (as in chuck the lot) and scoop solids morning and evening. Basically, litter pongs pretty quickly, even the good stuff, and some kitties are sensitive to that.

Check your location - our cats despise being watched using their litter, despite their insistence on accompanying me to use my 'litter tray'. Ours are in the laundry and ensuite - and these would have been out of bounds areas for DD when she was little.

The second thing is health related. Although the vet felt this was about other cats, it may not be. Please revisit the vet, and ask for more help. If Feliway didn't help (and you need at least 2-4 weeks to get a more mellowed kitty), then you might need something else that reduces anxiety and allows her to regain her proper litter manners. The things you describe could be crystals, a UTI causing litter tray fear, and so on.  If it were me, after the vet visit, I'd be restricting her access to the whole house for a couple of days so she can chill and reconnect with her litter box. keep using the professional cleaning stuff to deal with mistakes and if you need to, you can pop her on her litter after she's had dinner (like you would if you were TTing a puppy or kitten).

Best of luck - these are not easy problems to solve!

#3 hills mum bec

Posted 30 January 2020 - 09:47 AM

I feel for you.  We had exactly the same problem with our cat.  She was using the cat litter tray fine for a couple of years then when she was about 2.5yo she started weeing & pooing in random spots, refusing to use the litter tray.  Tried extra litter trays, different types of litter, different types of trays (it wasn't the frequency of changing that was the problem because she wouldn't use any of them).  In the end our 100% indoor cat became an outdoor cat.  We turned our old cubby house into a sw**ky cat pad, our fences are quite high and she is a very small cat so she can't get out of the back yard and she loves it out there.  She will come inside for cuddles at various times during the day or evening but is more than happy to go back outside to do her business.  It's been 6 months now and she hasn't weed or pooed inside since.  I am very concious of not wanting a wandering cat outside annoying neighbours but she genuinely can't get out of the back yard and if she could then we would look at building an outside cat enclosure for her.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.