Trundle or Trundle-to-king-size?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Ozquoll

Posted 29 January 2020 - 08:47 PM

Awkward thread title, but I don't know if there is a proper name for what I'm asking about! I'm looking at getting a King Single bed with trundle for my DS, and I am seeing some that can be used as a normal trundle or they can be put at the height of the other bed to make one very large sleeping surface, approximately King size. Here's one example:
https://www.google.c...years-warranty/

Have you used one of these trundles? Are they comfy, reasonable easy to use, any other comments?

#2 Wango

Posted 29 January 2020 - 09:03 PM

I had one similar growing up and I can recall it being used as a king once but I have been looking at these also.

#3 Contrebasse

Posted 29 January 2020 - 09:28 PM

We have one a bit like that but with thinner mattresses - it’s quite hard so have added a mattress topper.

We have used it as two single beds when guests come over. The underneath one seems a little bit flimsy when it’s up - fine for a small to average person but may not hold a large adult.

#4 Kiwi Bicycle

Posted 30 January 2020 - 08:56 AM

Alternative is IKEAs day bed with pull out base that turns into a king. My MIL has the bed you are talking about, but she uses it as two singles.  I am not sure how you keep the two beds together as a king, maybe you strap the legs together? I agree, the mattress on the underneath bed is very hard.

#5 just roses

Posted 30 January 2020 - 09:41 AM

View PostKiwi Bicycle, on 30 January 2020 - 08:56 AM, said:

Alternative is IKEAs day bed with pull out base that turns into a king. My MIL has the bed you are talking about, but she uses it as two singles.  I am not sure how you keep the two beds together as a king, maybe you strap the legs together? I agree, the mattress on the underneath bed is very hard.
We have the IKEA one and find it great.

#6 ECsMum

Posted 30 January 2020 - 10:19 AM

My parents have one - the trundle is ok but does rock (back and forward) a little if using at floor height.   It's Ok though if put up at usual bed height.

#7 Ruf~Feral~es

Posted 06 February 2020 - 02:26 PM

We have the Ikea Brimnes in our studio.  It is often used as a king when people come to stay, and works really well.

It can also be used as two singles.  

We do put a king sized mattress topper on it when using it as a king.  Most visitors come from overseas or interstate, so generally stay 2 weeks or more, and all have said it's really comfortable.

I'd highly recommend it.

ETA - it's also cheaper than what you are looking at, has underbed storage.  (But not a king single, if you need that extra length.  However my almost 6ft 14 year old sleeps on it fine.)

Edited by Ruf~Feral~es, 06 February 2020 - 02:31 PM.

#8 just roses

Posted 06 February 2020 - 02:39 PM

View PostRuf~Feral~es, on 06 February 2020 - 02:26 PM, said:

We have the Ikea Brimnes in our studio.  It is often used as a king when people come to stay, and works really well.

It can also be used as two singles.  

We do put a king sized mattress topper on it when using it as a king.  Most visitors come from overseas or interstate, so generally stay 2 weeks or more, and all have said it's really comfortable.

I'd highly recommend it.

ETA - it's also cheaper than what you are looking at, has underbed storage.  (But not a king single, if you need that extra length.  However my almost 6ft 14 year old sleeps on it fine.)
This is the one we have and we love it.

It's in my daughter's bedroom and those pull out drawers hold a LOT of Lego!

I also bought a mattress topper after my 8yo nephew told me it was a bit too hard. The topper made all the difference and he was happy after that. I've slept on it (without the topper) and found it was perfectly comfortable (if a little firm).

ETA: It's good for tall people because your feet can hang off the end a bit rather than hit a bed end.

Edited by just roses, 06 February 2020 - 02:40 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.